Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by sgideons
Gobank allows ACH pulls. It is what you are looking for.
Thank you, this IS what I need! Also found your very helpful blog during my research... for my fairly simple needs I think this will help me a lot. Thanks again.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 2:44 am

Anyone know the limits of ordering the Chase GCs? I've read people have bought 2.5K in one swoop. Any weekly or monthly limit?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by PainCorp
I haven't seen that, I've had a couple errors where it did try to process as credit, it cancelled, and we started over. Only then did I get the option for a Debit transaction.
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
This has been my experience as well. I *never* see a prompt for Cash or Credit up front. Maybe it's a matter of how the cashier handles the transaction and who gets to the form of payment prompt first.
I (possibly incorrectly) assumed they were referring to purchasing MO thru Money Center ATM.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:14 am

PIN available now for selected Visa/MC giftcards

New data point: I went to the Walmart MOney Center yesterday to load a $500 variable US Bank MC GC and it said alternate tender required. What is strange is that I've successfully loaded $100 US Bank MasterCard gift cards in the past with no problem. Anybody else have problems with USB variable MC at Money Center machine?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
New data point: I went to the Walmart MOney Center yesterday to load a $500 variable US Bank MC GC and it said alternate tender required. What is strange is that I've successfully loaded $100 US Bank MasterCard gift cards in the past with no problem. Anybody else have problems with USB variable MC at Money Center machine?
I've yet to get US Bank variable loads to work at WM. Haven't found a working MC Machine, so always with cashier.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:17 am

I've yet to get USThanks. Online? Does it work just like BB? Any fees? AN has a $1 fee for purchases, which sucks. Bank variable loads to work at WM. Haven't found a working MC Machine, so always with cashier.
Have you had Meta variables work? The reason I used USB MC Is because of $10 coupon at Vons but will use another card now
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Have you had Meta variables work? The reason I used USB MC Is because of $10 coupon at Vons but will use another card now
The original reason why this thread was started was because of Meta variables working!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 1:22 pm

I've yet to get US Bank variable loads to work at WM. Haven't found a working MC Machine, so always with cashier.

I tried to buy a MO at WM this afternoon with a $500 US Bank MC from Safeway, but it did not work even though I had called to get a PIN number assigned. I haven't tried loading BB yet because I've already maxed out for April, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do to unload it if that doesn't work either.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 1:38 pm
jdl

Originally Posted by hawkandhoo
I tried to buy a MO at WM this afternoon with a $500 US Bank MC from Safeway, but it did not work even though I had called to get a PIN number assigned. I haven't tried loading BB yet because I've already maxed out for April, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do to unload it if that doesn't work either.
To unload it, you could use AP or load an Amex for Target card.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 2:00 pm

data point: Split transaction at WM worked for MO with 3 Chase GC's (meaning: split 3 ways in one transaction).

I know it may be different for differing regions, but just wanted to post the experience from here (the Dallas area).
Old Apr 20, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
USB variable load MC purchased yesterday at Vons to get the coupon. Went to WM and successfully loaded onto BB today. At first it didn't go thru and cashier said I couldn't use credit. I told her it was debit and she said to hit the cancel button at which point I got a bunch of tender methods including ATM/Debit. Hit that and it asked for the PIN and it went thru perfectly.

This was an older system. The screen was the monochrome variety. My local WM has a more up to date system with a full color screen that definitely looked different.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, not one problem with these ever.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Cbass98
Anyone know the limits of ordering the Chase GCs? I've read people have bought 2.5K in one swoop. Any weekly or monthly limit?

Someone previously reported calling in and being told that there is a monthly limet of $2,600 per Chase card. I know a few individuals who have been able to buy 2,500 but then got declined trying to buy another 500 after, so I'm assuming that report was accurate.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 8:09 pm

US bank variable visa

fyi used a usbank variable visa to get a money order at wm today. however these are weird, the first time i got one i was able to get cash back during a purchase at WM. however when i got another one i was not able to, even though i set a pin. it was the same walmart but a different register. tried again at another walmart and it failed for cash back also. later i used the same card that failed for cash back for other debit purchases, including a payment to an in store credit account, a small payment to my car payment, and the aforementioned money order. also used another one to purchase and load a BB card, which i decided not to register for a BB acct just yet. that's probably silly i know but for some reason i still don't feel ready for BB and waiting for a GoBank invitation instead.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:49 pm

Stopped by Kroger to purchase two US Bank visa's ($500 each) on Saturday. No problems paying with CC; however, the cashier asked for my drivers license number in order to complete the transaction. Is this new? It was my first time purchasing these from Kroger and I've never been asked for a license number at any other store.

I was excited that I was able to load them at Walmart MC with no problems. Their automate machine wasn't doing MO. I walked up to counter and asked for $1000 using multiple debit cards. I specified amount for each. The whole thing was a breeze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.