Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: Arrival Points, M-Life, Hyatt, ULTIMATE REWARDS, AA, UAL, SOUTHWEST
Chase GC data point

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Where did people find the $2,600 per month Chase GC limit listed? I looked on the main landing page (chase.com/gift-cards) and didn't see it. I think clicked through to the order page and checked both the FAQ and T & C's and didn't see it.
I have been going through this program for three weeks now. Many people state that $2600, is the magic number, but I have only achieved $2500, twice, while buying 5 x $500 GCs. Both times with two diff cc. I tried getting more each time, but to no avail.

WM BB works beautifully every time. The clerk asked about getting points and I confirmed. He was grateful for the insight as he will go for it as well.

My question: Is there is a 15 day wait for another purchase with the same cc? I keep trying daily and am now eight days away from completing my 15 days.

Is GCM making it difficult to buy GCs? I just found out about GCM last night.

3 -cc since Feb and am up 200k points.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
So, is it true that giftcardmall puts a 30-day hold? I did try different cards, even tried to purchase small amounts - all my orders didn't got through. I cleared everything possible with CC company. Last time Chase's rep told me that he sees that transaction was indeed approved from their side (which means that it passed all possible verifications) and the only guilty part is a GCM. However, GSM's rep always says (I guess, from script) that I have to check my billing address. This sounds ridiculous since otherwise the transaction wouldn't be approved by CC company.

Any idea what can be done?
Same here, tried every card but all didn't go through and the charges remained as "pending" on my cc. I am wondering what you mean by 30-day hold. So after 30-day, they will charge my card and allow the transaction to go through?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by therabbit
Same here, tried every card but all didn't go through and the charges remained as "pending" on my cc. I am wondering what you mean by 30-day hold. So after 30-day, they will charge my card and allow the transaction to go through?
If the merchant doesnt push the charge through, it will drop after 30 days.
You do not get charged.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:46 pm

When loading BB at Walmart with 1k gift cards, can I go shortly before midnight, load 1k and then load another 1k after 12 or is it a 24 hour period?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: SPG,United,Delta,AA,Marriott Silver
PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards.

The charge on my card got dropped for some reason even though GCM already shipped the cards. Odd if this is frequent issue with GCM?

Called Chase to confirm if this was indeed dropped they said it is approved from their side and if GCM doesn't charge you within 30 days they will remove the transaction and I won't be billed. I am happy to get the 3000 free dollars if this is indeed the case.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Fire_Fly
I tried five different Metabank Visas today at WM...PINS were set through their phone system. I tried to load to BB through the kiosk and each card failed with the printout receipt saying various errors..."debit not approved. Call authorizer" and "debit not available" being the most common. I tried multiple times with no luck and then tried again at the register with no luck. I then decided to try one of the cards to buy a MO at the kiosk again, and it went through? I tried the other cards again for BB, but still got the same errors.

Puzzling why it would work for MO but not BB???
I've been having the same issue for the last few days with different cards. MetaBank, Bancorp and Paypal Debit. I wonder if walmart has pulled the plug? I called paypal and they said everything is fine on their end. What is the error message one would receive if they have reached their monthly limit on BB funding and they attempt to continue to add funds???
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:26 pm

Just went to WM to load some $200 Metabank Visa GC I got from Staples. This time, the Moneycenter was broken so I went to a cashier to load my BB. However, I didn't have the guts to load all five cards. I was afraid that the cashier would ask why I'm using five different debit cards to load my BB so I only loaded one card at two separate cashiers. For those of you who load multiple cards always the same cashier, do they ever give you funny looks or ask you suspicious questions? I know some of you will say that you want to load $1000 with five separate cards-- Have you ever had any problems from this?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:28 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maijojacob
The charge on my card got dropped for some reason even though GCM already shipped the cards. Odd if this is frequent issue with GCM?

Called Chase to confirm if this was indeed dropped they said it is approved from their side and if GCM doesn't charge you within 30 days they will remove the transaction and I won't be billed. I am happy to get the 3000 free dollars if this is indeed the case.
Called GCM today and expressed my disappointment that they block orders. Rep asked for a day to investigate. Later she called me today and told me that I tried to use many different cards (since no one was working) and somehow it triggered their security hold and they hold every my order. They released last 2 orders and told me to be consistent in the future (just to use 1-2 cards).
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Just went to WM to load some $200 Metabank Visa GC I got from Staples. This time, the Moneycenter was broken so I went to a cashier to load my BB. However, I didn't have the guts to load all five cards. I was afraid that the cashier would ask why I'm using five different debit cards to load my BB so I only loaded one card at two separate cashiers. For those of you who load multiple cards always the same cashier, do they ever give you funny looks or ask you suspicious questions? I know some of you will say that you want to load $1000 with five separate cards-- Have you ever had any problems from this?
Same here. When I wanted to load 1k (2 500 gift cards) to my BlueBird, I first initially told them 500 then put gift card back in wallet after transaction went through. Then I tell the cashier, "you know what, lets make it an even thousand" and would pull out the second gift card without them ever knowing it was another different "debit" card. Don't want to take a chance using multiple cards and having them think something suspicious is going on.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
On a business trip, so of course I went mileage hunting in a new state

Went to a gas station and actually found VR's in the shelf! Cashier however said she had a bunch of issues with people bringing them back and scamming her (supposedly) and saying that it didn't work and wanting a refund. Looked thru the stack and found one with a code already exposed Not a great confidence builder. Bought an untampered one and went to the parking lot to load it to BB...didn't work. Turns out their system is having issues and they can't actually activate the VRs (she called someone else, either a manager or another station)..... Kept the VR agent on the phone and went back in so that the cashier could see that I wasn't a scammer. Got a refund.

So the adventure continued. Went to another gas station and found a variable load Visa card with only a 4.95 fee. I'm used to the 5.95 fee so that was surprising. Since I was looking for VRs though, didn't get the card and I forgot to check the issuing bank

On to Albertsons. Brought a variable load Visa up to the register and had already swiped the credit card when the cashier said cash or debit only I politely inquired why and that I didn't see any restrictions, but then shrugged it off as "state by state" differences (I knew it wasn't that, but wanted a graceful exit). Cashier also likened it to buying lotto tickets with a credit card which wasn't allowed (poor analogy)

On to Safeway for a Metabank card. Had all sorts of credit card declines because of trying to purchase 500 out of state (though oddly there were no problems with the 500 earlier at the gas station that eventually got refunded). Finally got that at cleared up, called in, set the PIN, and then loaded to BB at WM.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr

On to Safeway for a Metabank card. Had all sorts of credit card declines because of trying to purchase 500 out of state (though oddly there were no problems with the 500 earlier at the gas station that eventually got refunded). Finally got that at cleared up, called in, set the PIN, and then loaded to BB at WM.
If you used a CC for $500 at gas station and then later tried to use at a different location for another large amount ---this will often throw a red flag on that card.

Same as if you make a very small purchase and then go to a drug store or gas station and use that same card for a large purchase (another red flag).

Also, traveling out of state and using cards for large purchases (or 500+) is another big potential red flag.

Any of these can usually can be cleared up with a simple phone call, but each can (not always, but can) throw a red flag [due to want can be considered unusual or suspicious spending patterns].
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jasonvr
So what state are you trying this in, it would be nice to know this.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:56 am

Some data points, today, I tried to load BB with meta bank gift cards at WM and get "Debit not approved" error. The gift card transaction log shows initial approval, and then a quick reversal.

I am afrad that WM/gift card providers have now caught up with BB loading, and explicitly reversing/denying the transaction.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
the first time i went to walmart to load with cashieer(closest one does not have money center machine) i loaded one and then asked the cashier where the atm was(in case i missed the automatic one) then after finding it was just a 3rd party atm machine i went back to same cashieer and asked to load again thie time 400 with 200 from 2 different cards, she did not blink an eye. people at walmart loading a bluebird card with a prepaid card is not odd, many people do foolish things paying fees for prepaid cards and then consolidating them and never getting any points or miles. now this happend to be at 6:00 AM and this was the only cashieer working and there were no lines.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by skywind
The gift card transaction log shows initial approval, and then a quick reversal.
this reminds me of my experience with the usbank gc at WM, the first time i was able to get cashback during a purchase, but, the next time i tried, i was buying a camera, tried to pay for it with GC debit, and wasn't able to get cash back. so instead i just paid for the camera with a credit card. however, i did not like the camera and happened to return it. it was a legitimate return and i was expecting it to go back to the credit card. i was also returning two other items purchased on a different credit card (which i also first tried to buy with the GC debit to get cash back). the cashier said she could return all items to the same credit card, and i said that was fine. however, when she rang it up, the register automatically opened for her to give me cash. she said, "you must have paid with a debit card?" i did not push it, just took the cash back and deposited it into the bank. was glad i got to keep the miles.

still, the whole thing made me wonder, which part prompted the register to give me cash? the fact that the original purchases were from two different cards? or the fact that I originally swiped the GC debit when purchasing? if anyone has any experience with this, please share, but i will be doing some testing on this for my own personal info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.