Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:30 pm

Load transaction failed- Instant reversal at Walmart

I tried loading today using visa gift card using set pin at Walmart. It showed me approved on screen however Walmart print out showed as not authorized.

I checked transaction history on phone which tells me 3 transactions- 1) Original Loading funds to the cards on purchase date 2) Loading tried today 3) Reversal of loading tried.

This is the first time I experienced such issue. Not sure how to go about it because it did not work at different stations in same Walmart.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nishant1
I tried loading today using visa gift card using set pin at Walmart. It showed me approved on screen however Walmart print out showed as not authorized.

I checked transaction history on phone which tells me 3 transactions- 1) Original Loading funds to the cards on purchase date 2) Loading tried today 3) Reversal of loading tried.

This is the first time I experienced such issue. Not sure how to go about it because it did not work at different stations in same Walmart.
This happened to me last night. I thought maybe I was close to my Bluebird limit. I went to another register and loaded a smaller amount with the same card and it worked.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:55 pm

I had the same problem today. Any advice? Should I try another Walmart?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:34 am

Checked your daily/monthly limits?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Gammachu
I believe you're out of luck

“This Rebate Visa Prepaid Card is not redeemable for cash and does not have a PIN associated with it. This card may not be used for cash withdrawal at any cash-dispensing location and may not be used for Debit transactions“

https://www.stapleseasyrebates.com/i...s/prepaid.html

I been missing out. Always thought these "easy rebates" come in the form of Staples gift card
Yes, those Chase issued reward debit/GCs are a pain.
No cash advancing, no PIN, nothing.
Best you can do is AP the $$$ out.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gammachu
I been missing out. Always thought these "easy rebates" come in the form of Staples gift card
Not always. It's been like that for the recent MC GC deals (last 2x). For other rebates, there were either a check or a VISA GC or a Staples GC. Depends on the rebate.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, US, SW, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors

Same thing happened to me this evening.

Last edited by ukguy78; Aug 24, 2013 at 3:16 pm
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:23 pm

Any more data points from WM?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:33 pm

Tried loading a $500 U.S. Bank Visa card (Bought at Kroger) to my BB/GB cards at WM this evening - didn't work. Tried both cashier and kiosk with same results.

I've done this many times before at the same WM and never had any issues. Calling the automated U.S. Bank # on the back of the card still tells me I have $500 on the card but shows no attempted transactions.

Will have to try another store on a different date...this could be the end of loading these U.S. Bank cards?

Anyone else having issues?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:48 pm

Declined transaction success today

I did 3 things to avoid repeat decline of transaction I reported yesterday and it was successful this time. I donot know which of the 3 actions helped.

Before I get to those details, here is basic clarification for others to avoid brainstorming.

1) I buy only visa gift card. No Mastercard. No Celebrate type visa card.

2) I never load more than 2 in a day. Also I donot buy more than two any day as a enforced inventory limit.

3) I never had any issue with loading any of these identical cards at Walmart. Sometimes with same cashier twice back to back if nobody behind me in the line or different counters in same store mostly express check out.

When transaction declined twice yesterday, I called purchased shop gift card phone support line and talked to the representative. I did not want to call visa gift card.
The representative told me that she does not see any balance on card even though Walmart declined transaction. She informed that there is nothing the purchasing store can do and I should see Walmart store manager in person.

I did not refute her. I called Visa automated phone number again to confirm full funds available. To cross check, I checked visa gift card balance online but without registering. That also confirmed full balance on card.

I did following 3 things
1) Called visa automated line and changed my PIN to a new PIN. It was surprising that for new PIN, it does NOT ask old PIN but accepts just new PIN.
2) Waited for 24 hours on a hunch that just in case that if Walmart put hold on money, it may return back to the card after a day from suspense account.
3) Reduced load amount by one penny and tried loading at Walmart counter and success.

Loss of one cent from funds is nothing compared to time and special trip to Walmart for this purpose only.

Last edited by Nishant1; Aug 22, 2013 at 8:53 pm
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:36 pm
wcj

Did a few USBank VGCs at two stops tonight, no prob. I do paydays on Fridays so no BB load data. Some cards just get screwed up and sometimes cashier screws up. Need to try other cards and cashiers before sounding the alarm. What are your decline receipts saying? The known decline issues are in this thread by code numbers. Need to search out your issue, so you know what you are dealing with and what to do to resolve.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:14 pm

Walmart decline receipt print out shows not many details
e.g.
ST # 1234, OP# 00001234, TE # 01, TR# 01234
Debit not approved. Call authorizer.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
Any more data points from WM?
like??
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I did following 3 things
1) Called visa automated line and changed my PIN to a new PIN. It was surprising that for new PIN, it does NOT ask old PIN but accepts just new PIN.
2) Waited for 24 hours on a hunch that just in case that if Walmart put hold on money, it may return back to the card after a day from suspense account.
3) Reduced load amount by one penny and tried loading at Walmart counter and success.

Loss of one cent from funds is nothing compared to time and special trip to Walmart for this purpose only.
PIN issues are usually the #1 issue with GC. If I get a GC that doesn't work, I just slide it back in my pocket and use other ones. Once I'm done, I'll go back to my car, call up and change my PIN, and wham, it works. Out of 500 or so GC I have used, I had this issue twice...

The other issue with GC, and it is usually not the GC issue, but if you are loading it onto a BB, the BB account has reached it's limit for the month...
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:57 am

Right. I agree that PIN can be a major issue. However in my case, even when the transaction was declined, I still saw "Approved" message on the screeen while the print out showed as transaction declined.

I donot think you will get "Approved" message on display screen where typed PIN if the PIN typed did not match with originally set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.