Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:46 pm

Rule #1 of this game: If you try something with a cashier or electronic machine, and it doesn't work..just beep banging the sh*t out of it and force it to go through!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by thorax
People need to stop getting angry at these retail folks. Their punishment is that they already have to work retail. Stop being an ..., take your lumps, and move on to the next store. You're not helping anyone by taking things up to corporate or whatever you think you need to do to prove that you're right.

/rant
heh...well that is true...retail is its own punishment. But, these people brought it on themselves. These aren't high school kids, or learning disabled, these are adults who chose to make this their life. No point getting into a whole socio-economic discussion on the matter though.

And just to ease the paranoid that are/were all up in arms that I was going to do something to "expose" the secret (which again, I say, if you really think they don't know what is going on already you are fooling yourselves). All I did was call 1-800-Walmart and let them know that the kiosks at both locations weren't working. I further told them that my general experiences when frequenting the one Walmart were overall negative (and pointed to the Google reviews on that store that spoke to those sentiments). I didn't mention anything regarding BB or gift cards or anything.

Let's not assume everyone is an idiot and is about to do something to topple the little house of cards you think you are hiding in. For those people that would do that anyway, they will continue to - especially if they are screamed and berated at for even suggesting it.

(@thorax - this isn't meant directly at you but the general sentiment)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:55 pm

I don't think it matters what profession they chose. Be nice.

Also, someone already mentioned that a CVS manager said he stopped selling VR because it caused employees too much trouble. The last thing you want is upset clerks complaining to managers.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenH
But, these people brought it on themselves. These aren't high school kids, or learning disabled, these are adults who chose to make this their life. No point getting into a whole socio-economic discussion on the matter though.
Too late, you just did. Play nice, say please and thanks. Perhaps it is their second job they have to have to support their family since their loser husband ran off with the.... or their child is ill and medical bills are killing them. This hobby doesn't owe us anything. It is a hobby we are benefitting from greatly. Appreciate each glorious hassle free purchase.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:12 pm

I just loaded 9 $200 Vanillas (3 x 3 x $200) this AM at WM. They work fine.

Originally Posted by peedarp
Well, it appears I stepped in it...I purchased 5 $200 Bancorp Vanilla Visa GCs from OD this morning and then headed to the nearest WM to load up by BB. But I walked into the WM, I called the number behind the card to see if I could set a PIN. The rep says that the pin is set when I first use the card as a debit card. Meaning, when prompted for a pin during first use, set any 4 digit PIN. I was skeptical but nonetheless when to the WM counter. The nice CSR took my BB card and punched in the $200 load and asked me to swipe card. I did and when it asked for a PIN, entered a 4 digit pin. Unsurprisingly, this did to work. Subsequent calls to Bankcorp did not help. They keep saying the PiN can be set when the card is first used as a debit card. I even tried to buy a candy bar at a self suffice kiosk, but it still wouldn't accept the GC.

Now I'm stuck with 5 $200 Vanilla Visa GCs. Any advise as to how I can liquidate these?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by rrgg
I don't think it matters what profession they chose. Be nice.

Also, someone already mentioned that a CVS manager said he stopped selling VR because it caused employees too much trouble. The last thing you want is upset clerks complaining to managers.
^ ^
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by farwest101
I just loaded 9 $200 Vanillas (3 x 3 x $200) this AM at WM. They work fine.
Obviously more than 1 BB, right?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rambo
I just used the Vanilla GC yesterday at WM. I went in to the money center @WM and loaded 1 $200 card first and it worked. I then did two split transactions and it worked.

For this card, I didn't have to do anything, the system picked it up as a debit card and prompted for a pin and I put in a random pin. For Metabank Mastercard, I had to swipe and then click on 'Change Payment type) in the screen to change to Debit.
For the US Bank Master card that I got, the register at the money center didn't let me do debit and no option for "change Payment type" . Maybe this register is older, or should I try the check out lane. Visa cards work out great though.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:38 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I guess you guys are using 5x OD $200 variety.. really worth the extra fees?!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BenH
heh...well that is true...retail is its own punishment. But, these people brought it on themselves. These aren't high school kids, or learning disabled, these are adults who chose to make this their life. No point getting into a whole socio-economic discussion on the matter though.
Bolding mine.

How many people do you know that say, "I could be a CEO making 6 figures, but I'll work at WalMart for minimum wage instead." No one wants to work at WalMart, they HAVE to.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
I guess you guys are using 5x OD $200 variety.. really worth the extra fees?!
Yes...considering you can get 1.7x points per dollar on bills you can't normally pay...i.e. Car Loan, HOA fees, Mortgage?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:49 pm

Hmmm, went to my local Shoppers Food Warehouse today and tried to purchase 2 variable GCs. I noticed a sign that now read along the effects of 'All Visa, AMEX, and Mastercard gift card are now cash only.' Not a big deal to me since there was another grocer across the street but now there's one less option.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA, UA, US, AA
Chase gift cards: received mine in about 4 days but after registering was told I needed extra verification and was given a number to call.

Number was for the Chase Risk Analysis office in Florida whose advertised hours are 0800-1700 EST but who never answer their phone.

Online the card status shows PFRAUD. Anyone else experience this and successfully get their card unblocked?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I think its not all about how many cents per point. You have to consider the time it takes to go to Walmart, the gas, and keeping sane. If you drive 20 minutes solely to go to Walmart to load $1000 on your Bluebird to "buy" points at 1 cent per point, it is totally not worth it in my opinion. CVS Vanilla Reload cards take less effort and I could say they are worth it, but not this method.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:31 pm

Great stuff gang. Went to Walmart to check it out. First one was out of order so checked out another one.

I did 9 GCs to test it out. I did everything, walmart card, money pass, other prepaid. Everything works. You just have to do face amount only so took a while to do all 9. And it was super loud but whatever. Took about 15-20m to do all 9. Super!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.