Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by stealph
Interesting..would like to know more about this coupon you found...Was it one use only?

>>>My experiment today:

>>>1. I bought a $500 variable MC (I usually get Visa but they were out.) and a $100 fixed amount Visa. Kroger has a buy 2 MC or Visa or combo for $5.00 back coupon.
Prints out at register for $5 off a future visit.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:14 pm

So this got shutdown to some extent pretty quickly in Safeway. They started claiming some BS about protecting your credit card in case it is stolen & so you can only pay cash for the variable load cards (I tried the metabank Visa with $20-$500). Apparently they sent a circular out & all sales rep are supposed to follow it. You can still buy the fixed amount ones via CC. Now, onto just Fred Meyer for me where the variable load purchase with CC works (but that visa is from US Bank & I haven't tried the PIN with that). Did anyone load BB with variable load Visa from US Bank using Pin?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by ucfzf10
Did anyone load BB with variable load Visa from US Bank using Pin?
It seems post 241 did.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
So this got shutdown to some extent pretty quickly in Safeway. They started claiming some BS about protecting your credit card in case it is stolen & so you can only pay cash for the variable load cards (I tried the metabank Visa with $20-$500). Apparently they sent a circular out & all sales rep are supposed to follow it. You can still buy the fixed amount ones via CC. Now, onto just Fred Meyer for me where the variable load purchase with CC works (but that visa is from US Bank & I haven't tried the PIN with that). Did anyone load BB with variable load Visa from US Bank using Pin?
Cash is going to be used less and less. These stores aren't going to be able to keep pulling mess for too much longer.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by schcas
For what its worth, I discussed PIN setup with a rep from Bancorp re: Vanilla Visa GC and the CSR said that the pin feature goes online for all their cards tomorrow (4/9/13)
anybody have an update on this?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:44 pm

Data point: I am able to load BB with variable load visa from US Bank using Pin.

My question is : Can i load $1000 to BB at WM for two $500 gift cards in one transaction? It is just so annoying asking the cashier to load $500 in the first transaction, then another $500 in another transaction. People behind the line are not happy about that either.

Last edited by therabbit; Apr 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Do you think they miss us at CVS? Hah.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
I just purchased 2 $500 variable load Visas at Safeway 20 minutes ago with no problem.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Originally Posted by therabbit
Data point: I am able to load BB with variable load visa from US Bank using Pin.

My question is : Can i load $1000 to BB at WM for two $500 gift cards in one transaction? It is just so annoying asking the cashier to load $500 in the first transaction, then another $500 in another transaction. People behind the line are not happy about that either.
Yes you can... and if honestly it takes them about 30 extra seconds to run the second card... On the register all he/she has to do is put in 500 then push a credit/debit button. It shows the amount of $500, swipe card, then the cashier hits debit/credit for the remainder (which happens to be $500). Honestly if people behind you are getting pissed about a second one, tough ..... You probably have the least items in that line anyways...

and for another datapoint, i was able to load my BB 3 days in a row with 3k worth in cards at the same walmart (1k a day) here in orange county california.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Bender464
I don't know of any FI that allows mobile deposits of MO.
citi allows it for kroger mo's but does not allow it for wm's mo's
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by kjgco
I just purchased 2 $500 variable load Visas at Safeway 20 minutes ago with no problem.
purchased $500 v/l Visa at Safeway about an hour ago, no problems either, not even asked to show ID,
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by tommy14
purchased $500 v/l Visa at Safeway about an hour ago, no problems either, not even asked to show ID,
I was able to buy yesterday too both in self-checkout & cashier line. Today got turned down in 2 safeways. btw, i am in pacific nw.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:24 pm

is it possible that Safeway is taking some adverse actions for a setup that's been out only for little over a week?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by tommy14
is it possible that Safeway is taking some adverse actions for a setup that's been out only for little over a week?
Nope. Bay Area's Safeways have been doing this for a while but still YMMV. All the Safeways I have been to ask for cash or debit. All the cashiers who do not check ids create a problem for the legit users.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by kjgco
Just wondering if anyone's been successful with this tactic yet? Tried a little while ago to load BB at Wmt (HI) but no luck.
TIA
No luck with Vanilla "Debit" GCs getting cashback at the supermarket. There's no WM near me so I might try a PO money order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.