Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GA37
Hi, I am new to this game (a little late) but were you able to load them from vanillareload.com to BB or did you do it through Walmart?

Thank you
GA
You have to use Walmart. Unfortunately, you can only use Reloads to do it free online. If you would like to load a debit card like OneVanilla to BB via online, there is a $2 fee.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA-Gold, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold
I went to my local WM kiosk and tried to load my BB. After entering my pin, the kiosk asked for my pin again. After entering the first four digits, I noticed that the numbers were not hidden and it was expecting 10 digits instead of four. I got the same result using USB MC, USB Visa, and Metabank Visa from GCM. In the end I gave up. Anybody know what's up with this? I've been out of the country so I apologize if this has been covered in prior posts.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut
You have to use Walmart. Unfortunately, you can only use Reloads to do it free online. If you would like to load a debit card like OneVanilla to BB via online, there is a $2 fee.
So, to be clear about the procedure, You can buy a OneVanilla Visa Debit card about anywhere that sells them, then take them to a Walmart to have them load the $ onto your BB? That would provide the trasnfer of $$ with no fee?

But to do it on-line you would have to go to OneVanilla website, enter the PIN and direct it someway to BB?

I did notice that from the OneVanilla site, clicking on Vanilla Reload Network brings up the Vanilla Reload website form that we are all familiar with.

Thanks
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Bought 2 OneVanilla's yesterday at 7-11 and loaded them to BB immediately after. Worked like a gem!
Is this for any 7-11 or only 7-11s that are attached to gas stations? I'm guessing the former, but I just wanted to confirm. Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kawaii
Is this for any 7-11 or only 7-11s that are attached to gas stations? I'm guessing the former, but I just wanted to confirm. Thanks!
Any 7-11 that is coded as a gas station by Visa, which is most of them regardless of whether you can buy gas there.

I'm glad to hear that some 7-11s still work for our pastime. Getting the clerks to agree and run your CC is no sure thing, of course.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:15 pm

7-11 tonight, cashier rang up a VR for me and it was denied (she actually tried to ring it up again not realizing the register is hardcoded). I asked her to try a OneVanilla and it went through no problem. Sure it is a little more work but worth it for me.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA, USAIR, SPG, HYATT, IHG
Thanks so much - I can't find VR around me but plenty of OneVanilla
appreciate the help

GA
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by Explore
Any 7-11 that is coded as a gas station by Visa, which is most of them regardless of whether you can buy gas there.

I'm glad to hear that some 7-11s still work for our pastime. Getting the clerks to agree and run your CC is no sure thing, of course.
Anyone who knows a 7-11 or any other gas station in the bay area that sells vanilla visa?
Please pm me.. still need to utilize my sept freedom bonus...

Last edited by iqbalt80; Sep 23, 2013 at 8:00 pm
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Anyone who knows a 7-11 in the bay area that sells vanilla visa?
Please pm me.. still need to utilize my sept freedom bonus...
Ha, this is my situation, but in LA. The closest 7-11 wouldn't take CCs (I was just trying to get a pre-paid time card, and not even a bean) and the second closest didn't have any in stock.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kawaii
Quote:

Bought 2 OneVanilla's yesterday at 7-11 and loaded them to BB immediately after. Worked like a gem!

It is a 7-11 that offers gas. I have not tried the others as most in so cal are attached to gas stations.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cvasara
Quote:

So, to be clear about the procedure, You can buy a OneVanilla Visa Debit card about anywhere that sells them, then take them to a Walmart to have them load the $ onto your BB? That would provide the trasnfer of $$ with no fee?

But to do it on-line you would have to go to OneVanilla website, enter the PIN and direct it someway to BB?

I did notice that from the OneVanilla site, clicking on Vanilla Reload Network brings up the Vanilla Reload website form that we are all familiar with.

Thanks
If you want to load it to BB online for $2 you do it on BB website, not the vanilla website.

They are different than vanilla reloads so you are unable to do it from the vanilla website.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by cvasara

Thanks
Is OneVanilla Visa Debit card is reloadable or prepaid debit card? I have seen some posting if you don't have reloadable card you can't load into BB. Please let me know. Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ramamosn
Is OneVanilla Visa Debit card is reloadable or prepaid debit card? I have seen some posting if you don't have reloadable card you can't load into BB. Please let me know. Thanks.
You're correct. It's prepaid.

It's labeled: "One Vanilla Prepaid Visa Card" for loading $20-$500 with a $4.95 charge.

It is the silver vanilla card in a black holder.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:27 am

One Vanilla Works, but myVanillaDebit doesn't for reloading BB or buying MOs

correct?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimulus
One Vanilla Works, but myVanillaDebit doesn't for reloading BB or buying MOs

correct?
You must bring the One Vanilla to WM for it to work. It's almost best to just disregard their website unless the card does not work for some reason.

I don't buy MOs so I cannot attest to that.

Vanilla Reloads are loadable via their website to BB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.