Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pier11
Do we know how shifts are scheduled? When changed?

I know (visually) couple of adequate cashiers, but their presence looks sporadic to me. Also they change register lines often. Can't figure it out.
Try to befriend the better ones and chalk up a casual conversation. Get your info that way. They usually only have a tentative schedules that seem to change every week but that is good enough for the purpose especially in my area the Money Center and the Customer Service Desk do not rotate employees - they are always the same people just on different days. Very soon you can become friendly to those who have good nature. Of course there is always one or two who are never friendly. I still do business with those except I keep everything by the book when they are on-duty. One of such type did ask to see my card on one occasion - it happens to be the CGC with name on it.

For me, I am very flexible - if I get my favorite ones I do a lot more, if I get one that is either dumb or go straightly by the book or has power trip symptom, I do whatever the store always allow to do and be done with it. Always a productive trip when sometimes it is very much so.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 10, 2013 at 3:34 pm
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: Arrival Points, M-Life, Hyatt, ULTIMATE REWARDS, AA, UAL, SOUTHWEST
faulty VGC

Originally Posted by Happy
Are all 3 bought from same store or stores nearby? They may get a defective lot.
The CVS store is nearby and we did buy all three at the same time there. We have bought about 12 other VGCs from same store in the past. We had no issue with those cards.

Defects appear to occur with more frequency when using these OneVanilla GCs than with GCM GCs as reported by other members.

My assessment:
MetaBank GOOD
BanCorp Bank BAD
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
If someone were to ask me for the card, I just leave. Once a manager gets involved, I ask them to void the transaction and I go somewhere else.
We get the occasional sniff, rarely, asked for ID, asked for the card. We always show and are always processed through to completion. They're looking for fraud and stolen cards. They tell us so (apologetically) when they verify.

IMO, leaving as soon as questioned or asked to show the card/ID is just confirming their suspicion that "something is fishy" and likely to result in more of the same.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Frogger27
We get the occasional sniff, rarely, asked for ID, asked for the card. We always show and are always processed through to completion. They're looking for fraud and stolen cards. They tell us so (apologetically) when they verify.

IMO, leaving as soon as questioned or asked to show the card/ID is just confirming their suspicion that "something is fishy" and likely to result in more of the same.
That's a good point. I leave when they have problems loading it and have errors. I get annoyed and then leave. If they start asking questions while fixing an error, it's not worth it to me. The WM near my job is always a pain. The one near my house is fine.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:10 pm

SAR

For those of you liquidating these into MOs by the thousands, when does concern for an SAR come in?

Is it $10,000 in a single day, single transaction etc...

And more importantly is your attitude, "so what"? File your SAR I'm not doing anything illegal?

Does the SAR go to the IRS or is it kept internal?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by michael21
For those of you liquidating these into MOs by the thousands, when does concern for an SAR come in?

And more importantly is your attitude, "so what"? File your SAR I'm not doing anything illegal?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ey-orders.html
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by michael21

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ey-orders.html
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Except, of course, this poster did. And it's not splitting hairs, it's pointing out how an invalid assumption was made.
Well, both post offices I tried didn't work, so info in wiki is probably still accurate across the board.

Next time I read an entire thread and the wiki, and ask if anybody has updated information because the posts are all old before traveling to try something, I'll be sure not to ask, since apparently that is being lazy.

Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by gggg707
Well, both post offices I tried didn't work, so info in wiki is probably still accurate across the board.

Next time I read an entire thread and the wiki, and ask if anybody has updated information because the posts are all old before traveling to try something, I'll be sure not to ask, since apparently that is being lazy.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Well, both post offices I tried didn't work
Appreciate update too. Thanks.
Which cards did you try BTW?

Still want to find "in-other-store post office" Lemma referred he had success.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
Thanks for update. Better yet, please update the Wiki to CONFIRM this info remains accurate as of the date(s) you tried it. So that would help others who read the Wiki realize that it has been tested recently and remains a no go.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
Appreciate update too. Thanks.
Which cards did you try BTW?

Still want to find "in-other-store post office" Lemma referred he had success.

It was a onevanilla visa
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:06 pm

Both money center machines were down, looks like for maintenance in my area. On the plus side, I met a very nice CSR who let me do 9x$200 loads onto 2 BB cards. May not need the machines if I can find more like her.

Btw, the MC worked for me without having to hit the change payment/cancel key. So, at least at my WM, they seem to have updated their card readers.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
I usually go for 2x$500 on one BB, then 5x$200 on the other, with a smile and apologies to the WM cashier and anyone waiting behind me in line. I also count down to reinforce that there is an immutable end in sight.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
6 Transactions of how much? Irrelevant! As soon as I 'displayed' something other than 'Vanilla', it was all 'ok'..

Didn't stop the fact that I used a couple OV's during the 6 tx's

And... nope... she had no problem with the number of transactions or for how much they were...

She was 'en garde' to prevent use of 'Vanilla'... apparently...

At any rate, who cares... this was more meant to be a joke about quirkyt personalities at the WMMC... not about an 'active issue of cards not accepted'.

Simple solution: Go to another WM, or... wait till the shift change.
6 transactions at once. Obviously, you're trying to draw attention to yourself. Congratulations on adding to the WM scrutiny of all this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.