Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:27 pm

Is it possible to get MOs from non-supercenter WMs? I have not had any luck so far.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver
Is it possible to get MOs from non-supercenter WMs? I have not had any luck so far.
I only get my MOs from non-supercenter WMs
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by commdiver
Here in California, most Walmarts are not supercenters, but they usually have Money Centers so it is not a problem. The ones that don't have Money Centers may sell MOs at customer service, but I have never tried this.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Here in California, most Walmarts are not supercenters, but they usually have Money Centers so it is not a problem. The ones that don't have Money Centers may sell MOs at customer service, but I have never tried this.
I don't have a money center at my local WM, but they do sell MOs at the customer service desk as mentioned.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I had this happen to me at BB. Sometimes when I am waiting in line, I start taking the backs off. I had about 4 in my hand and did one. Then I did the second but I couldn't remember if I was going from back to front or front to back. All of a sudden I realized that the next two were already open. I was a bit timid about buying them...But I ended up doing it b/c I was going straight to WM when I left there. Figured that unless timing was perfect, I would beat someone periodically trying to check for activation. All worked perfectly fine.
I try to avoid getting ones with the tear off removed, but that doesn't necessarily mean a scam is in motion. Sometimes (esp at BBY) the cashiers don't ring up the GC correctly and the customer gives up, of customer changes their mind. I think most stores just put the cards back up on the rack.

What's made me more worried was buying VGCs (BBY and OM) and when going to open them, finding the bottom wasn't sealed. Might have been a manufacturing defect, or someone had opened it, pulled out the card to get the info, and put it back. Both times it happened, I immediately went to liquidate them with no problems. I even left a few cents on some cards to see if someone drained it later (bought MO for $999 even).

I checked over the next two weeks and no one ever took the .41, so may not have been a scam, or the scammer didn't bother with the .41.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Out-on-a-limb prediction: this thread is about to become very popular again...
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Out-on-a-limb prediction: this thread is about to become very popular again...
Ok, I'll bite. Any particular reason why?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Ok, I'll bite. Any particular reason why?
See the CVS thread.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
I'll start it....
OH NOEZ. VRs GOING AWAY!
WHERE TO BUY VISA GC?!?!?! MGC?!??!!?! W/ CC??!?!?!

PM ME PLZZZZZZ
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kjgco
See the CVS thread.
Not saying it's not true, but in the last year we've heard this at least four or five times. I honestly don't understand the economics behind why CVS takes CC for anything other than increased foot traffic, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. But still, not really an original warning.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
I'll start it....
OH NOEZ. VRs GOING AWAY!

PM ME PLZZZZZZ
Lol. "But I just got my Citi AA Exec. And my Old Amex Blue..."

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Not saying it's not true, but in the last year we've heard this at least four or five times. I honestly don't understand the economics behind why CVS takes CC for anything other than increased foot traffic, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. But still, not really an original warning.
Agree, there have been a lot of false warnings in the 18 months I've been buying them. This one at least had a photo of a memo, posted by a reliable MSer. It could be false, regional, etc, but this one seems to have a bit more support. Hoping it isn't true.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:25 pm

I tried to load BB at WM today, but forgot to set the pin. of course, it got rejected. so i stepped aside, set the pin, and tried again, but rejected again! i didnt try again. is this normal? do you get locked out?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by jeam3130
I tried to load BB at WM today, but forgot to set the pin. of course, it got rejected. so i stepped aside, set the pin, and tried again, but rejected again! i didnt try again. is this normal? do you get locked out?
What type of GC? Some are known to be finicky.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
What type of GC? Some are known to be finicky.
its a visa gc. ive used the same one before and loaded no problem
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by f0xx
I'll start it....
OH NOEZ. VRs GOING AWAY!

PM ME PLZZZZZZ
Haha!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.