Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:38 pm

Jimmicka,
Where do you acquire your $500 MB VGC? The highest denomination I can purchase using Ink Plus VISA is $200 at office supply stores.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by tilleyd
Jimmicka,
Where do you acquire your $500 MB VGC? The highest denomination I can purchase using Ink Plus VISA is $200 at office supply stores.
no OSs sell $500 cards on a credit card, however there are plenty of other non bonus places you could use to buy $500 with your ink plus, although it doesnt make as much sense.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:28 pm

Didn't say I got them at OS store!

There's another nice targeted bonus I received on one of my CC's that makes it a pretty sweet deal to look in other places.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Not sure if it is isolated to my store, but when I got to my Kate this evening there was a huge stack of receipts there. I was expecting them to be various error codes for OVs, but in fact they all said host timeout. I tried to load and Kate just kind of hung. Eventually cancelled out and tried it again. Got most of the way thru and it failed. Cancelled out the I got host timeout receipts.

Went to the MC and as soon as the CSR swiped the BB she got a message that it had already been loaded (which of course it had not). Tried with the other BB and got the same message.

Appears that the link to BB is down hard. Again, not sure if it is localized to my WM or more wide spread.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Not sure if it is isolated to my store, but when I got to my Kate this evening there was a huge stack of receipts there. I was expecting them to be various error codes for OVs, but in fact they all said host timeout. I tried to load and Kate just kind of hung. Eventually cancelled out and tried it again. Got most of the way thru and it failed. Cancelled out the I got host timeout receipts.

Went to the MC and as soon as the CSR swiped the BB she got a message that it had already been loaded (which of course it had not). Tried with the other BB and got the same message.

Appears that the link to BB is down hard. Again, not sure if it is localized to my WM or more wide spread.
I loaded mine yesterday evening without an issue. Not sure what time yours was, but the issue was most likely local, as there are no other reports of it in the thread right now (but maybe not...)
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I loaded to BB last night @7:30 CST with no problem.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I was loading at 9pm pst, so significantly later in the day
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Gld 1MM; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
I've been looking for a definition of Kate for the month or so I've been starting to do MS. Haven't found one yet, and I've searched through hundreds or perhaps thousands of pages. I also can't find anything in my local WM that looks like a MC, so I've had to use CS for my unloading. Wouldn't a large WM - I guess they're all large! - in a large suburb of a major metropolitan area be expected to have a MC? Or is the MC just another word for ATM in this case? (They do have an ATM, and also two laptops - always broken - in the CS area, if that helps.) Feel free to PM me if you'd like.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:22 am

Kates are awesome! Middleton is a Duchess, Hepburn and Hudson are movie stars.

MC is Michael Caine. He regularly makes appearances at Walmarts around the US and allows people to give him money to pay bills, etc.

Straightforward, really.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by GreatPeer
I've been looking for a definition of Kate for the month or so I've been starting to do MS. Haven't found one yet, and I've searched through hundreds or perhaps thousands of pages. I also can't find anything in my local WM that looks like a MC, so I've had to use CS for my unloading. Wouldn't a large WM - I guess they're all large! - in a large suburb of a major metropolitan area be expected to have a MC? Or is the MC just another word for ATM in this case? (They do have an ATM, and also two laptops - always broken - in the CS area, if that helps.) Feel free to PM me if you'd like.
Ive seen dozens of answered questions as to what kate is in the past month, so you must not be reading very many threads Also, some WMs dont have MCs, however, CS does just fine for most, although I find the lines to be longer.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Ive seen dozens of answered questions as to what kate is in the past month, so you must not be reading very many threads Also, some WMs dont have MCs, however, CS does just fine for most, although I find the lines to be longer.
I'm reading too many threads, and my mind can't handle the flow of information! I did think that I had seen the definition at least once, but couldn't find it again. At the beginning I hadn't planned to use Kate (whatever that was!), or CS, at WM - it's not very close to where I live or shop - but have since come to the conclusion that if I intend to do MS with large numbers, I'm headed to WM!

I did receive a couple PM's with the details I needed, so thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:54 am

I'm reading too many threads, and my mind can't handle the flow of information! I did think that I had seen the definition at least once, but couldn't find it again. At the beginning I hadn't planned to use Kate (whatever that was!), or CS, at WM - it's not very close to where I live or shop - but have since come to the conclusion that if I intend to do MS with large numbers, I'm headed to WM!

I did receive a couple PM's with the details I needed, so thanks.
Holy cow. If you can't remember, at least write it down.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Holy cow. If you can't remember, at least write it down.
Agreed - and I do - but note that I hadn't planned to use WM/Kate at all, so it wasn't relevant at the time!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:57 am

if you can find stores in your area that will accept CCs for Reloadits you don't need WM to load them to your Serve or other reloadable cards.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:15 pm

Bill pay all jacked up. Technical difficulties. Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.