Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by athena88
I've maxed out on Am Ex for Target, so now I'm venturing into Bluebird for the first time. I signed up for and received my BB card, so now I'm ready to start MS.

I've been reading every blog and FT post, but it's *really* hard to sort out which GCs Walmart is accepting now. I bought a Vanilla Visa and took it to my local WM, which does not have a kiosk, so I went to CS. The clerk was nice about it but the system would not accept the VV card. Ugh.

I had previously purchased a Mastercard with a PIN. I'd read WM would not accept it, but since it has a PIN, I'm going to give it a shot. It was only $200, though, so if this works, I'll need to find a $500 card to minimize fees.

I did check Walgreen's and they have a new $20-$500 variable card product for $2.95. It's a Mastercard. Anyone know if that works with Bluebird?

Most importantly, does anyone have the latest list of what gift cards WM is accepting now?

TIA for your help -- this is hard to sort through!
I loaded $200 to BB today with vgc today and $500 with vgc last week. Just went thru cashier line.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:07 pm

The Mastercard didn't work even though it had a PIN. The cashier at Walmart said, "You can't use a gift card to load Bluebird."

Ok, so what does work?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:08 pm

What am I doing wrong? I tell them it is a debit card. I don't show it to them. But the system won't let me do it...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
I have no idea what Walgreen's is selling for that low price. The Vanilla Reloads cannot be purchased with cash at most Walgreen's. YMMV.

I think it's all YMMV. Sometimes things work great; other times there is a hiccup. We were able to load Vanilla Visas via Kate, and back in June something changed. We had about six of those left and all but 1 eventually worked.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by athena88
What am I doing wrong? I tell them it is a debit card. I don't show it to them. But the system won't let me do it...
I'd recommend that you spend some time reading the Wiki (like days) and the many pages of comments here on flyer talk. The WM systems can be finicky and I suspect your experience is probably documented elsewhere in the thread. There's often no way to know for sure. It's trial and error. Could be the card issuer, could be the mag strip on the card, could be the swipe machine, could be the computer system, could be the cashier, could be the pin. The list goes on. Honestly, I've had a card and/or machine work one minute and LITERALLY not work the next minute. Can be very frustrating.

I have spend 100s of hours (no kidding) researching how to do this and I still don't have the answers. Every situation is specific to your card, your store, your process.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by twelve0one
I got my number stolen 16 days ago for $4700 They told me it would take 10 Business days. I called today now they tell me it could take up to 45days!! I had my credit card on me! Do NOT USE THEM!! I am so upset
For everyone who has Bluebird, watch out. My account was drained completely even though I only use it for bill payments, the only charge I could remember was at Home Depot back in June/July of this year. Reading others having similar experience as me, I have doubt on whether the Home Depot is really the culprit here. I recommend everyone to put money in setAside account so no one could use the credit to get money out of your BB unless your login and password is also compromised...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'd recommend that you spend some time reading the Wiki (like days) and the many pages of comments here on flyer talk. ...

I have spend 100s of hours (no kidding) researching how to do this and I still don't have the answers. Every situation is specific to your card, your store, your process.
I've been researching MS for a very long time and have also ready hundreds of hours of blogs, threads, wikis (yes, including this one), and articles. And yet, like you, some things still aren't clear, thus my post.

I appreciate the validation that the system is wonky. But that's scary. I want something that works reliably, as my AFT cards have been. Maybe Redbird will be better. I'm traveling to California next week and will try to get one and give it a run.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to what seemed like a newbie question. Just goes to show that we need a lot of patience in this game.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Anyone ever had a WM load appear in their transaction list but not be in the available balance? Just happened to me. Of course Kate didn't spit out a reciept either.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by jackiesyu
For everyone who has Bluebird, watch out. My account was drained completely even though I only use it for bill payments, the only charge I could remember was at Home Depot back in June/July of this year. Reading others having similar experience as me, I have doubt on whether the Home Depot is really the culprit here. I recommend everyone to put money in setAside account so no one could use the credit to get money out of your BB unless your login and password is also compromised...
http://online.wsj.com/articles/fraud...ach-1411506081
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackiesyu
Why would anyone uses the BB at POS, i.e. Swipe? I wouldn't use a real debit card let alone a prepaid card at retailer's POS.

Have you not known Home Depot has security breach? (and Target is just before that) That is where your BB info got stolen.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't use real debit cards for anything except my bank one for an ATM withdrawl/deposit. With security breaches, its too easy for your acct to get wiped out and take a long time to get the money back.

With CC fraud, at least you are protected as the charges can be reversed and you aren't out 'real' money.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Why would anyone uses the BB at POS, i.e. Swipe? I wouldn't use a real debit card let alone a prepaid card at retailer's POS.

Have you not known Home Depot has security breach? (and Target is just before that) That is where your BB info got stolen.
I usd my SERVE at Home Depot because of the amex offers back a while ago, but there is no reason to use BB, perhaps he meant serve and is in the wrong thread
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by mxhjustin
Why not ask for splitting the payment. Tell cashier you want to load 300 and use 3 cards, 100 for each. Done with 2 cashiers.
Originally Posted by poisonsag
How does this work. Do i just use my two GC one after another?

Can someone please answer this for me? Do i just use my two GC one after another?

Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Can someone please answer this for me? Do i just use my two GC one after another?

Thanks
O death, where is thy sting?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:41 am

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhjustin
Why not ask for splitting the payment. Tell cashier you want to load 300 and use 3 cards, 100 for each. Done with 2 cashiers.

REALLY?? REALLY??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.