Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Did anyone else not have the Small Business Saturday automatically get credited to their BB account? I registered it and made purchases, but hasn't shown up on my account like my other amx accounts.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by mayday23
Did anyone else not have the Small Business Saturday automatically get credited to their BB account? I registered it and made purchases, but hasn't shown up on my account like my other amx accounts.
If you got the emails when you made the purchases you should be good.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
The terms and conditions said the statement credit would happen within 90 days. I don't know if in practice things get credit more quickly, but it sounds like on your other accounts you've already received the credit. I received the e-mail after each transaction, and all of the transactions have posted on my accounts. However, I'm still waiting on the statement credits.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:01 pm

Wait, you've already seen the credit come through on some of your cards? My charges just barely switched from pending transactions to confirmed today. Still waiting for the credits to start coming in. This was by far my most profitable SBS yet! Well, as soon as the credits show up, that is.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:05 pm

Last weekend I tried to load from an *actual* debit card issued by my bank and the transaction did not go through either through Kate or MC counter. Funny thing is I received no alerts or anything from my bank.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The credit for SBS posted Sunday for my Hilton Surpass card, but the Delta, Hilton, AA and BB credits haven't yet posted.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:59 am

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks.

AskAmex said to wait until Dec 10 and then feel free to write in to inquire about the statement credits.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
The credit for SBS posted Sunday for my Hilton Surpass card, but the Delta, Hilton, AA and BB credits haven't yet posted.
Delta, Hilton and BB posted on the 3rd. AA AmEx is all that's left.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:03 pm

One of the restaurants on my SBS visit didn't post the transaction until Sunday, and it looks like AmEx is not paying the bonus. Anyone seen this and called AmEx?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
One of the restaurants on my SBS visit didn't post the transaction until Sunday, and it looks like AmEx is not paying the bonus. Anyone seen this and called AmEx?
Keep waiting. The credit doesn't always appear right away and this may fix itself. Amex knows the original transaction date.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
BB for spouse and self posted +10 credit x3 on Dec 3.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:51 pm

Hello, long time lurker. Any input on fraudulent charges on these cards and how they are handled by AMEX? I loaded $400 on to the BB at a local Wal-mart today, and when I got home noticed a charge for around $70 had posted...from that very same Wal-mart.

I tried to load at my first register, the cashier was an idiot and couldn't get the card working. I loaded $200 successfully at two other registers, did a bit of shopping (CHARGED TO ANOTHER CC) and then left.

Does anybody have an idea where this charge might have come from, and the odds of it falling off as just an authorization? I still have the card in hand; the only thing I can think of is that the card was skimmed or that cashier #1 somehow put through an authorization inadvertently? The timestamp is from just around when I was loading the BB, so the timing is quite suspicious.

Edit: I just looked at my two load receipts, and there is a 2.5 minute gap between the time stamp on the first load and the next. In between, my balance has shrunk by the ~$70 in question. So I've ended up with $330 or so instead of the $400. Unbelievable. I guess it is cashier #2 who is suspect.

Last edited by mad cow disease; Dec 6, 2014 at 9:01 pm
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by mad cow disease
Hello, long time lurker. Any input on fraudulent charges on these cards and how they are handled by AMEX? I loaded $400 on to the BB at a local Wal-mart today, and when I got home noticed a charge for around $70 had posted...from that very same Wal-mart.

I tried to load at my first register, the cashier was an idiot and couldn't get the card working. I loaded $200 successfully at two other registers, did a bit of shopping (CHARGED TO ANOTHER CC) and then left.

Does anybody have an idea where this charge might have come from, and the odds of it falling off as just an authorization? I still have the card in hand; the only thing I can think of is that the card was skimmed or that cashier #1 somehow put through an authorization inadvertently? The timestamp is from just around when I was loading the BB, so the timing is quite suspicious.

Edit: I just looked at my two load receipts, and there is a 2.5 minute gap between the time stamp on the first load and the next. In between, my balance has shrunk by the ~$70 in question. So I've ended up with $330 or so instead of the $400. Unbelievable. I guess it is cashier #2 who is suspect.
similar thing happened to me with a regular register loading Serve. Let's say my card has 0.00 to begin with and I load $500, end balance =$500. Then I proceed to reload another $500 to same card, the beginning balance should be $500 + new load of $500 = $1000. But when I checked the debit receipt, it showed end balance was still $500. I showed cashier receipt and she called for supervisor who proceeded to check balance on my card and it showed $1K. I proceeded to check Serve app to see if coincides with what register said and it did so it was alright.

it is best to check your balance online to find out if it tallies with your deposits and if not, it is best to clarify it with their cash department immediately and hopefully, they issue a refund to you if the mistake is on their end. Our WMs issue cash refunds for glitches in MO printing and I prefer that than refunds going back to 'debit' cards.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
similar thing happened to me with a regular register loading Serve. Let's say my card has 0.00 to begin with and I load $500, end balance =$500. Then I proceed to reload another $500 to same card, the beginning balance should be $500 + new load of $500 = $1000. But when I checked the debit receipt, it showed end balance was still $500. I showed cashier receipt and she called for supervisor who proceeded to check balance on my card and it showed $1K. I proceeded to check Serve app to see if coincides with what register said and it did so it was alright.

it is best to check your balance online to find out if it tallies with your deposits and if not, it is best to clarify it with their cash department immediately and hopefully, they issue a refund to you if the mistake is on their end. Our WMs issue cash refunds for glitches in MO printing and I prefer that than refunds going back to 'debit' cards.
This isn't even close to the same thing. Your issue is the load not appearing on the deposit receipt. Mine is an AUTHORIZATION for ~$70 appearing on my account, as if I had swiped and purchased something.

But the thing is - I only loaded at this Walmart using BB (the purchase was with a different CC, and only for $15), and in between my first and second load (2.5 minutes) the charge somehow appeared, shrinking my apparent balance as it shows on the deposit receipts.

This means in the 2.5 minutes between the first load and the second, my card was somehow compromised. Which leads me to believe one of the first two cashiers I used is skimming cards.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by mad cow disease

Dispute the $70 charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.