Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bender464
No Serve, but same name as myself. I suspect that is their problem. This is not his first bank account either..
Same middle name? If not, maybe apply with 1st initial, middle name so it looks different?
Old May 6, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Okay who here is the one whom broke the kiosk at the Long Beach town center Walmart?
Old May 6, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Same middle name? If not, maybe apply with 1st initial, middle name so it looks different?
The thing that really burns me is you MUST use a different email with EACH ATTEMPT.
Old May 6, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by particlemn
Okay who here is the one whom broke the kiosk at the Long Beach town center Walmart?
the blogs did it
Old May 6, 2013, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
The thing that really burns me is you MUST use a different email with EACH ATTEMPT.
The most irritating part of the application process was getting the email telling me to call a number to confirm my ID, and then the (Malaysian) person on the phone telling me to use the website. When I combed the website - to be doubly sure they were full of it - and called back they gave me the 'use a different email' line, and I wouldn't accept that as an answer. That was followed by the 'we can't verify you, and we can't do anything here.' line. Was eventually transferred to someone in the US fraud department, and while that guy was friendly, he came across as very bored (and sick of this S**T). He did get it all up and running. Card came along a week or so later.

I had just moved house and the new address wasn't in the credit reports yet, so I understand where this went wrong, but the customer service was just awful.
Old May 6, 2013, 6:05 pm

check

first request for authorization for a check $9000 took 3 days and then they denied it without explanation....I was going to write it to my wife (maybe should have used p.o. box instead of home address for her) but it irks me you cant write a check to cash or yourself and apparently not to anyone that lives with you. I was going to deposit funds and pay some CC bills, but I guess I will have to go the more obvious route and pay them directly with BB.
So much for the freedom of writing checks with BB.
Old May 6, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by wise2u
first request for authorization for a check $9000 took 3 days and then they denied it without explanation....I was going to write it to my wife (maybe should have used p.o. box instead of home address for her) but it irks me you cant write a check to cash or yourself and apparently not to anyone that lives with you. I was going to deposit funds and pay some CC bills, but I guess I will have to go the more obvious route and pay them directly with BB.
The system worked just as it was designed to work. Amex wants BB to be your primary checking account, not an account used to deposit and immediately cash out large amounts in dollars. If you were really going pay CC bills, that's fine and you should use BB to do that directly - but Amex looks at a $9,000 check payable to a spouse or child or anyone else living with you as an abusive use of the account, even if that wasn't your purpose.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wise2u
There are so many ways to repatriate your funds out from BB, I fail to understand why you would want to write a large amount check to some one related to you that would have high probability to trigger fraud alert.

Pay your CC bills, linked a bank account and occasionally withdraw funds in reasonable increments instead of the $9K... If you want to take advantage of the rinsing, you should know how to do it better.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
When paying credit card bills, are you guys putting your account number in the memo area? Or just relying on the automated system? I'm paying my discover card with BB.
Old May 6, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
My wife just registered and is not being given the option to order paper checks (I do have that option). Do you have to wait a period of time, or fund the account before you can order checks?

Thanks.....
Old May 6, 2013, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
When paying credit card bills, are you guys putting your account number in the memo area? Or just relying on the automated system? I'm paying my discover card with BB.
I used to write the card name and the last 4 digits of my credit card number. For example, Chase Freedom 1234. Now I got lazy and just leave it blank. Bill pay still goes through.
Old May 6, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
If BB is Funded via CCs, Why Use It to Pay Anything But CC Bills?

So I ordered paper checks for myself, but if you fund BB via debit cards bought with credit cards, you will always owe what you deposit. So you might as well pay off CCs from Bluebird and issue checks from your ordinary bank checking account as always, right?
Old May 6, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by Explore
So I ordered paper checks for myself, but if you fund BB via debit cards bought with credit cards, you will always owe what you deposit. So you might as well pay off CCs from Bluebird and issue checks from your ordinary bank checking account as always, right?
You could pay for things that don't accept CC's... maybe. Perhaps getting points for something you may not normally get points for. Then I dunno, use the money you were going to use to pay said bill that doesnt accept cc's to pay your cc bill.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Explore
My wife just registered and is not being given the option to order paper checks (I do have that option). Do you have to wait a period of time, or fund the account before you can order checks?

Thanks.....
Did your wife receive her BB card and activate it yet? Account needs to be activated first.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
First 5 days go fast .. Done with all the Bill Pay...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.