Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Why did you ask a walmart cashier? That's a pointless venture. It can be done at any walmart at any cashier. Or skip the conversation and go to a walmart with a kiosk.
Kiosk means self checkout ??
Thanks
Old May 1, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by myworld
Kiosk means self checkout ??
Thanks
PM Sent
Old May 1, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: A bunch
I know this is covered here or elsewhere but cant find it. Can anyone tell me if i can pay US bank club carlson card via bluebird with no issues?? I thought i heard of some difficulties a while back making payments for that card for some reason?

Thanks for any insight!
Old May 1, 2013, 8:49 pm

If the cashier doesn't know how to load Bluebird cards, tell them to do an "Action Code 70". It will say "ENTER ACCOUNT NUMBER" and that's when the cashier swipes the card. That's also how customers make payments on their Wal-Mart charge/credit cards.

Worked there for four years while going to school.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Stoutman11
I know this is covered here or elsewhere but cant find it. Can anyone tell me if i can pay US bank club carlson card via bluebird with no issues?? I thought i heard of some difficulties a while back making payments for that card for some reason?

Thanks for any insight!
Yes I had issues paying US bank it says something about the zipcode being wrong.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:54 pm

Just paid my Club Carlson card via bill pay with bluebird for the first time. Went through no problem.
Old May 2, 2013, 3:16 am

anyone know a walmart that has a kiosk here in the san fernando valley?
Old May 2, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by miko2a
Just paid my Club Carlson card via bill pay with bluebird for the first time. Went through no problem.
Did it do it electronically? Or were you asked to fill out the address? When i tried it a few months ago it didn't ask for an address but gave an error as if a zipcode was wrong when I never even entered a zipcode!
Old May 2, 2013, 5:21 pm

No, I did it electronically. US bank credit card. Had read about other people's issues with the Club Carlson card. So, I wasn't sure it would go through. Was happy when I saw it did.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by miko2a
No, I did it electronically. US bank credit card. Had read about other people's issues with the Club Carlson card. So, I wasn't sure it would go through. Was happy when I saw it did.
Were you paying off a US Bank Club Carlson personal or business card? I've already run into issues using my CC business card to buy gift cards on cardpool and it throws the same "incorrect zipcode" nonsense. If this is affecting merchants as well maybe this is something we can find a way to straighten out via US Bank?
Old May 2, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by stealph
Apologies if this has been covered.. Does anyone have any experience using BB Checks to pay a CC or other payment that is due same-day and accepts checks via phone? I guess what I am asking is will these checks (after pre-authorizing) work over the phone for vendors who accept payment by check over the phone? Thanks I have a bill due before BB's 2 biz day cutoff...
I guess nobody else procrastinates? :-)Anyone know if you can use BB checks to take check payment over the phone?
Old May 3, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by stealph
I guess nobody else procrastinates? :-)Anyone know if you can use BB checks to take check payment over the phone?
Guinea Pig? Do a payment and let us know!
Old May 3, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Amex Bill Pay via Bluebird?

I suspect the answer to this is upthread, but is anyone concerned about paying off an Amex credit card bill via Bluebird? My wife and I have used the subject HHonors Surpass card for many years, but this time about 80% of the bill is for GCs acquired at CVS (total $2K for the billing cycle).

Thoughts?
Old May 3, 2013, 2:22 pm

Do it. plenty of folks, including one that I'm intimately familiar with, have paid Amex with BB.
Old May 3, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by Explore
I suspect the answer to this is upthread, but is anyone concerned about paying off an Amex credit card bill via Bluebird? My wife and I have used the subject HHonors Surpass card for many years, but this time about 80% of the bill is for GCs acquired at CVS (total $2K for the billing cycle).

Thoughts?
Go for it! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.