Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by pyrotalk
Two questions, please reply:

- Use AP without repercusions?
- pay someone's else credit card with different address? Are they able to track & match address on a bill pay cc?
1.) Why would you waste your AP to unload BB?

2.) Yes. No. (or they just don't care)
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by cashback

thanks. i was thinking doing one or the other.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Quote:

- pay someone's else credit card with different address? Are they able to track &amp; match address on a bill pay cc?

Just to put an end to question number 2, I've paid plenty of bills of other people from my own checking account, not just from Bluebird. This also happens frequently I'm sure in couples who have individual bank accounts. Not one bank has minded at all. I also have some family cell/cable bills set to autopay using my Ink card as another similar example. Those receiving payment don't care much where it comes from, as long as the money is good.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: united 1k
just pay your own cc bill,plain and easy

- pay someone's else credit card with different address? Are they able to track & match address on a bill pay cc?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: UA, AA EXP
withdrawing AP to BB is outside the 5k limit/month, no?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by combiblock
withdrawing AP to BB is outside the 5k limit/month, no?
I think you are confused. The 5k limit is loading. Not withdrawing.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:16 am

I think you are confused. The 5k limit is loading. Not withdrawing.
He/she might have meant "DD" faking (for free ATM). If so, yes. DD is outside of cash reloads...but something like $10k rule applies. Please read the T&C for that.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:09 pm

Thanks healthnut for your responses.
Originally Posted by medellinfein
Should i use the same address that i also use for my Amex credit cards? Don't want my rise, repeat to effect my relationship with Amex.
I guess Amex will know who i am , but won't care since they don't see what i am buying from Walmart and, in any case, they are getting paid regardless. But will Amex care if i load BB online with Vanilla reload network cards?

Lastly, does my BB address need to be the same as my banking address to link my accounts?
There are reports online that they need to be the same; specifically, someone posted this on a BB review:

"You have the option to link a bank account which they have to verify ( understandable) but they informed me that if I wanted to receive the permanent card as I am the owner of the account I need to provide them with my current address (school) to get the card, I did. When the card came I needed to verify my personal bank account to use it and to add money problem is that my banking Address on my bank account is linked with my home address. I can’t use the card now there are some identity concerns on my account i cant verfy who i am even though both addresses (school& home)are on the account but because i was told by a rep to change the primary address and i did I can’t use the card. And yes they were able to verify my bank account from the bank I still can’t use it."
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks healthnut for your responses.

I guess Amex will know who i am , but won't care since they don't see what i am buying from Walmart and, in any case, they are getting paid regardless. But will Amex care if i load BB online with Vanilla reload network cards?
No. Why should they?

We are getting into the 1st anniversary of BB's life, thousands and thousands people load their BBs with VRs bought by all sorts of cards, AMEX included. If there is any issue, you would have read about it long long time ago.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: A bunch
Anybody ever get a "payment cannot be done" message when simply paying a credit card from bluebird?

This is the first time i have ever seen this happen. I payed a citi card yesterday. I am now trying to make another payment to the same citi account today and I am getting that error for some reason.

The money gets rejected back into my bluebird account right away. Did they make an update where the first payment has to clear before you can pay the same account again?

Anyone???....
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Stoutman11
Anybody ever get a "payment cannot be done" message when simply paying a credit card from bluebird?

This is the first time i have ever seen this happen. I payed a citi card yesterday. I am now trying to make another payment to the same citi account today and I am getting that error for some reason.

The money gets rejected back into my bluebird account right away. Did they make an update where the first payment has to clear before you can pay the same account again?

Anyone???....
Ever CALL BB to find out why YOU are getting this message? Well, that's what you need to do instead of asking everyone on this thread FIRST. That's what I do and others expect you to do. If the answer you get from BB makes no sense, then that's when you need to pose both your question and BB's answer. If you do that, we will all be more than happy to help you. But check with BB first before posting here unless you have done something you shouldn't be telling to BB.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone???....
Most likely because the first payment you made to the same card has not been EXECUTED yet given it was Saturday.

Dont you notice the payment expected deliver date on your payment made yesterday is on Tuesday, and your payment status remains Pending? It would remain pending until pass the deadline on Monday... The cancel option is there until after the cut-off time Monday.

Why can't you cancel the first payment and then make a new payment the amount being the sum of your first and the second payment - to the SAME card?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Most likely because the first payment you made to the same card has not been EXECUTED yet given it was Saturday.

Dont you notice the payment expected deliver date on your payment made yesterday is on Tuesday, and your payment status remains Pending? It would remain pending until pass the deadline on Monday... The cancel option is there until after the cut-off time Monday.

Why can't you cancel the first payment and then make a new payment the amount being the sum of your first and the second payment - to the SAME card?
Yes i notice the expected date of Tuesday as expected. I am pretty positive that i have done this exact scenario before but this time im getting the message. Im just going to wait till Tuesday and send the next payment. It should be clear to send payment by then. Not a big deal but something I have personally never seen in the yr or so BB has ben around. Thanks for the reply.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
Ever CALL BB to find out why YOU are getting this message? Well, that's what you need to do instead of asking everyone on this thread FIRST. That's what I do and others expect you to do. If the answer you get from BB makes no sense, then that's when you need to pose both your question and BB's answer. If you do that, we will all be more than happy to help you. But check with BB first before posting here unless you have done something you shouldn't be telling to BB.
Wow DCBob, I guess we should just shut down the forums. Just leave a list of phone numbers for all the banks and airlines and we can just figure it out.

Everyone, no more questions per Bob.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes i notice the expected date of Tuesday as expected. I am pretty positive that i have done this exact scenario before but this time im getting the message. Im just going to wait till Tuesday and send the next payment. It should be clear to send payment by then. Not a big deal but something I have personally never seen in the yr or so BB has ben around. Thanks for the reply.
But since you are paying the SAME card, why would you prefer to send 2 separate consecutive payments when you can simply cancel the pending one and made a fresh payment with the amount being the sum of the 1st and 2nd payment you initially tried to do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.