Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
I consider it righteous anger and simply think it is time to identify those who can be proven to spoil things for the rest of us. Most FlyerTalkers think about others and the harm that can be done by taking things a step too far. Hiding or stealing all the VR cards at a store so you can hog 100% of them is wrong. Period, Anyone disagree with me?
If the cleark knows who he is, then when said person enters the store, follow him around, he wont come back.. It is very simple, I'm not too sure why the manager wants to lose money. Or the other thing the store could do is tell this person, "Sorry, cash or debet, no CC." THis would change things.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tys90
Anyone have issues with loading Mastercard Gift Cards ($200 ones to be specific) at Walmart? My local office store was out of the Visa ones I usually get so I got the Mastercard ones. I called and added the pin to all of them then went into Walmart. Instant denial once I swiped the Mastercard to load BB. Tried at the cashier's and customer service.
Read the Wiki in the thread about GC with Pin, that explains what to do.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DziVang
I, on the other hand, have no issue with Visa or MC from Staples/OD/Charlie but I can't seem to load Visa GC from Kroger (the purple variable card) no matter what.
What problem are you having? I get those all the time and have no problem loading them...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lacuadra
I have read a good number of pages here but do no find info regarding direct payment to credit card companies that we use to manufacture spend Most of the topics include WM, CGC etc...

I would like to know if there are any issues/concerns when one pays from BB directly to
CITI
AMEX
CHASE PERSONAL
CHASE INK

Thanks for your responses
Nope
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Can add to that list - I have successfully used Bluebird to directly pay (ie, enter the payment online at the Bluebird website rather than using a Bluebird check):

US Bank credit card
B of A credit card
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:26 am

I, on the other hand, have no issue with Visa or MC from Staples/OD/Charlie but I can't seem to load Visa GC from Kroger (the purple variable card) no matter what.
No problems here.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What problem are you having? I get those all the time and have no problem loading them...
I called the Visa/MC number to select a PIN and used the PIN to load into BB via kiosk or cashier but it was just declined no matter what. I read on this forum that it should be loaded without issue but so far, it's not in my case.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:52 am

Just went to WM with five $200 GCs and seven $500 GCs. My Lord that was painful... I was at WM for like an hour. Just thought Id share lol...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by cashback
Just went to WM with five $200 GCs and seven $500 GCs. My Lord that was painful... I was at WM for like an hour. Just thought Id share lol...
Whenever I go to kiosk, this is how I prefer to load (only all 9 GCs are $500). 2 BBs and a GB do take a while.... the walking around for 10-15 minutes and then having to come back is the worst part.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:35 pm

I called the Visa/MC number to select a PIN and used the PIN to load into BB via kiosk or cashier but it was just declined no matter what. I read on this forum that it should be loaded without issue but so far, it's not in my case.
Do you have a picture of the card/packaging?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
Whenever I go to kiosk, this is how I prefer to load (only all 9 GCs are $500). 2 BBs and a GB do take a while.... the walking around for 10-15 minutes and then having to come back is the worst part.
No kidding. I usually don't do $200 GCs. They just made it much worse. I dont like thinking about all the time I waste staring at the 70" Vizio they have, just waiting for the kiosk to reset.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by cashback
No kidding. I usually don't do $200 GCs. They just made it much worse. I dont like thinking about all the time I waste staring at the 70" Vizio they have, just waiting for the kiosk to reset.
Is it even possible to trip the kiosk w/$200 GCs? I mean, it takes more than 15 minutes to load $1999 w/ $200 GCs....
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lacuadra
I would like to know if there are any issues/concerns when one pays from BB directly to
CITI
AMEX
CHASE PERSONAL
CHASE INK

Thanks for your responses
I thought it's been suggested (cautioned) that we avoid paying to AMEX.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
Is it even possible to trip the kiosk w/$200 GCs? I mean, it takes more than 15 minutes to load $1999 w/ $200 GCs....
I didnt want to chance it bc I loaded them first and had $3500 left after them in $500 GCs.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
I thought it's been suggested (cautioned) that we avoid paying to AMEX.
meh, news to me. i have run thousands through amex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.