Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
I received the above twice on August 9th when I tried to Pay a bill. Both times, it showed approved then denied.

Today I log into my credit card and I realized that the amount that was cancelled on August 9th has been credited to my credit card account on August 12th but the amount has not been deducted from BB account.

When will BB find the error and deduct the amount?
Just to update, I had the same situation happen. I tried to make a $1000 credit card payment. At first it showed a deduction of $1000 followed by an immediate credit of $1000 in my BB account. I tried again and got the same result.

Both attempted $1000 payments bounced back and did not deduct from my BB account balance.

Today I logged into my credit card company and see a $2000 credit being applied. Yet no money was taken from my BB account. In fact my BB account only has $1 left since I made a payment of $999 out of the account to a separate credit card.

Any thoughts on this? Not sure if a BB account balance can go negative.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by Tedimed
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....
I was looking for almost 20 minutes and could not find by mayself. Without your guidance I would never figured out.
Thanks again.
I frozed for a moment I thought that they kicked out that option.
You'd find the answer even sooner if read post of your responder one page earlier...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:17 pm

Loaded my first $1,000 today (WAY WAY late the party) at our local friendly Wal-Mart with (2) $500 gift cards. We don't have the automated machines anywhere within 50 miles of me so I had to actual go to the money center.

The first time she swiped it she said "not reading your bluebird card for some reason" but swiped it again and it worked. Loaded up $500 she said thanks and I said I want to do it again. No problem she said but also added you can do 2 different debit cards in the same transaction. I had read horror stories about some cashiers doing split transactions but did appreciate her telling me that.

Wish we had the kiosk method and/or they would make all this work on the self-checkout lane but overall it was extremely painless and took about 30 seconds.

I will only do this a couple times to complete minimum spends as it's not worth the headache and risk/reward for me to do it excessively.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The transfer option is still there. Go to My Account > Funding Sources > Bank ..... and you will see a link that says "click here to transfer funds from your Bluebird to your bank account."
AH! Yes, thank you! I even went to that page but missed the link. Their FAQ still talked about being able to do it, but I wondered if they just hadn't updated it yet or something. Whew!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
You'd find the answer even sooner if read post of your responder one page earlier...
Thanks, you helped me a lot!
I really enjoy when the old members are helping us, new members.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
Just to update, I had the same situation happen. I tried to make a $1000 credit card payment. At first it showed a deduction of $1000 followed by an immediate credit of $1000 in my BB account. I tried again and got the same result.

Both attempted $1000 payments bounced back and did not deduct from my BB account balance.

Today I logged into my credit card company and see a $2000 credit being applied. Yet no money was taken from my BB account. In fact my BB account only has $1 left since I made a payment of $999 out of the account to a separate credit card.

Any thoughts on this? Not sure if a BB account balance can go negative.
Mine is a little different than yours. Made attempt to pay $200 twice and bounced back twice. Instead of the double amount ($400) in my Credit card being applied , I see $200 and no deduction from BB account.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
For what it's worth, I put in a request for Bluebird checks today and it went through without being charged a fee. I saved a screenshot, which showed the August 13th date being extended out to January 2014. I'll report back when the checks arrive.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:45 pm

I've already posted this in the " Pin available now for Visa/MasterCard" thread

Hope it's okay to duplicate my post in here.

A rookies adventures.

I have about six hours invested in The manufactured spending forum, so decided to take the plunge this afternoon. After visiting three Walgreens (we have no cvs on my region), and a couple of 7/11 s I accepted the fact that I was not going to be able to buy a my vanilla prepaid reload card with my aadvantage platinum level visa signature.

So on to plan B, a visit to walmart. I should add that I opened a Bluebird account online two weeks ago. I attempted to buy a MasterCard gift card with a $500 value and a fee of $4.64 I think. The line was quicker at money center, where I was told cash or debit only. I went back into the store and picked up an amex gift card (no visa gift cards available). This time got in a cashiers line, offered my aadvantage visa, again cash or debit only.

On the way home, I dropped into my local Fred Meyer, found a visa gift card, and successfully purchased it $505.95 including fee for card.

Have I missed some obvious rule here?

Is it the case that can't buy a MasterCard gc or an Amex gc with a visa credit card?

Or, you can't by giftcards at walmart? Unlikely, I know.

As I say, I've made a genuine effort to study the forum, but where did I go wrong?

Finally, I know that I will need a pin, in order to load my visa giftcard onto my bluebird account when I return to Walmart. I expected to find a phone number on my new shiny visa giftcard, but all I saw where instructions to go online to my giftcardsite.com. Eventually, I did find a customer service number on the packaging that contained my new card. it was a number I should call if my card is about to expire.

Well I called,and was actually able to successfully set up a pin. Last rookie question. Even though the automated reception told me my card was activated , do I still have to register the card at mygiftcardsite.com?

Sorry again, if I have missed an obvious move here.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by wheelsup57
I have about six hours invested in The manufactured spending forum, so decided to take the plunge this afternoon.

Is it the case that can't buy a MasterCard gc or an Amex gc with a visa credit card?

Or, you can't by giftcards at walmart? Unlikely, I know.

As I say, I've made a genuine effort to study the forum, but where did I go wrong?

Finally, I know that I will need a pin, in order to load my visa giftcard onto my bluebird account when I return to Walmart. I expected to find a phone number on my new shiny visa giftcard, but all I saw where instructions to go online to my giftcardsite.com. Eventually, I did find a customer service number on the packaging that contained my new card. it was a number I should call if my card is about to expire.

Well I called,and was actually able to successfully set up a pin. Last rookie question. Even though the automated reception told me my card was activated , do I still have to register the card at mygiftcardsite.com?
Welcome.

Some places will not accept CC for GC. YMWV even at stores within the same chain.
Once you set a pin you do not need to register the card online unless you want to set your zip code for use outside of MS (such as gas stations or online, such as AP).

If you are buying GC for this stuff generally avoid MC. Avoid Amex as you can't set a pin. Of all the visa cards the 'best' is the OneVanilla GC as the fee is only $4.95 and you don't have to set a pin - the pin will be whatever number you use for a pin the 1st time you use it.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1
Welcome.

Some places will not accept CC for GC. YMWV even at stores within the same chain.
Once you set a pin you do not need to register the card online unless you want to set your zip code for use outside of MS (such as gas stations or online, such as AP).

If you are buying GC for this stuff generally avoid MC. Avoid Amex as you can't set a pin. Of all the visa cards the 'best' is the OneVanilla GC as the fee is only $4.95 and you don't have to set a pin - the pin will be whatever number you use for a pin the 1st time you use it.
Well it's reassuring to read that my Walmart experience was not the result of an error on my part. And thanks for the tip on the OneVanilla GC, and the warnings about MC and AMEX. I was lucky that they rejected my attempted purchase of the amex, if no pin can be set.

Thanks also for confirming I don't need to go to mygiftcardsite.com, unless I need to set up my zip code for use at a gas station.

Some people get yelled at in here, maybe with good reason, when they ask questions, so I genuinely appreciate your fantastic response.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:05 pm

Well it's reassuring to read that my Walmart experience was not the result of an error on my part. And thanks for the tip on the OneVanilla GC, and the warnings about MC and AMEX. I was lucky that they rejected my attempted purchase of the amex, if no pin can be set.

Thanks also for confirming I don't need to go to mygiftcardsite.com, unless I need to set up my zip code for use at a gas station.

Some people get yelled at in here, maybe with good reason, when they ask questions, so I genuinely appreciate your fantastic response.
You do not need to reset the PIN for a Vanilla Visa GC - just use the last 4 digits of the card
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:09 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by raccah
You do not need to reset the PIN for a Vanilla Visa GC - just use the last 4 digits of the card
Yes raccah,rdover1 said so also. thanks anyway.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
I have about six hours invested in The manufactured spending forum, so decided to take the plunge this afternoon.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:00 pm

Welcome wheelsup57, I wrote part of the wiki.

Do you need to spend a certain amount, or what?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Welcome wheelsup57, I wrote part of the wiki.

Do you need to spend a certain amount, or what?
I'm only interested in meeting minimum spends.I've picked up two Citibank 50k visa offers in the last two weeks. I can spend one of the 3k required, thru normal credit card spending, but will go manufactured for the 3k spending requirement on the second card.

Additionally, I now see a way to apply for Chase Ink, and meet their 5k requirement in 3 months. So that's about 8k right there.

I'm not sure exactly how much more I need to spend over these next six months or so, it depends how many offers I can apply for successfully.

Many thanks for your contribution to the wiki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.