Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by rgar7
Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else, but I have done a ton of searching to no avail. Does anyone know if there is a way to send ACH payment to Barclays for my Arrival card through BB? There is only one match for Barclays in the BB BP system but the address doesn't match with the address on my statement so I'm hesitant to send payments.
Send $10 to see if it works.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else, but I have done a ton of searching to no avail. Does anyone know if there is a way to send ACH payment to Barclays for my Arrival card through BB? There is only one match for Barclays in the BB BP system but the address doesn't match with the address on my statement so I'm hesitant to send payments.
I paid mine earlier this month from BB no problem. I used the Barclays Bank Delware entry. I have also been using this same Barclay for months to pay my Sallie Mae Mastercard.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
It wouldn't accept the Philly PO Box address so I used the overnight address from their web site and just had them send a check (not ACH).
https://www.barclaycardus.com/servic...ContactUsMail=

Two payments accepted and credited, avg time about 3 days.

Overnight Credit Card Payments
(Using specific labels and envelopes through UPS, Mail Boxes Etc., FedEx, U.S. Mail)
Remitco
Card Services
Lock Box 913337
2080 Cabot Boulevard West
Langhorne, PA 19047
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Governator
It wouldn't accept the Philly PO Box address so I used the overnight address from their web site and just had them send a check (not ACH).
https://www.barclaycardus.com/servic...ContactUsMail=

Two payments accepted and credited, avg time about 3 days.

Overnight Credit Card Payments
(Using specific labels and envelopes through UPS, Mail Boxes Etc., FedEx, U.S. Mail)
Remitco
Card Services
Lock Box 913337
2080 Cabot Boulevard West
Langhorne, PA 19047
I am not sure where you guys see an address for Barclays Bank Delware when you choose add a new payee in Bluebird. Maybe I see something wrong. However, like I said, I have been doing it for months. The Philly address is on my statement as well. And straight through BB, it posts the very next day.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Bill Pay Down???

BB newbie as of 2 weeks ago. Never accessed Bill Pay before and unable to do so for the past 2 days. When I click on “Pay Bills”, the computer “thinks” for 2-3 minutes and then displays “Bluebird.com is currently offline for maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience. We expect to be back in a couple of hours. Thanks for your patience.”. I am able to access many other BB functions on-line, including the past 2 days; transferred from and to a linked bank account, have ordered (and received) checks, loaded a VR, have reviewed account activity. I deleted all cookies and passwords and browsing history, same results.

Wondering if BB Bill Pay really is down for the past 2 days. Wondering if BB needs to somehow “authorize” Bill Pay before I can access it myself on-line. Is there something else I’m missing?

Thank you.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
BB newbie as of 2 weeks ago. Never accessed Bill Pay before and unable to do so for the past 2 days. When I click on “Pay Bills”, the computer “thinks” for 2-3 minutes and then displays “Bluebird.com is currently offline for maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience. We expect to be back in a couple of hours. Thanks for your patience.”. I am able to access many other BB functions on-line, including the past 2 days; transferred from and to a linked bank account, have ordered (and received) checks, loaded a VR, have reviewed account activity. I deleted all cookies and passwords and browsing history, same results.

Wondering if BB Bill Pay really is down for the past 2 days. Wondering if BB needs to somehow “authorize” Bill Pay before I can access it myself on-line. Is there something else I’m missing?

Thank you.
Yes this definitely seems like an issue for you. You can try contacting a CSR. Before though, you can try downloading the app on your phone and using bill pay through it to see if it works.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Yes this definitely seems like an issue for you. You can try contacting a CSR. Before though, you can try downloading the app on your phone and using bill pay through it to see if it works.
Thanks, took your advice and called, don't have a smart phone.

End result of the call: on my computer Bill Pay won’t work with IE 10 (and of course BB had no interest in helping me troubleshoot), works with Chrome (which I never use otherwise). Just set up my first (test) payment to my mortgage company, Capital One. There were 6 system choices for Capital One, none of which indicated Mortgage, so I guessed at the “Capital One-Cash Room” option, guess I'll find out in a few days if it got to the right place.

Being brand new to BB Bill Pay, I’d sure appreciate some help.
- Once I saw the 6 choices under “Capital One”, I was not able to see any additional information about any of those choices; no addresses, no phone numbers, no zip codes. Is there a way to see addresses for the payees in their system?
-I was unable to see any way to change the date for a payment, am I missing something or can payments only be scheduled one day prior?
-I did not see any way to schedule recurring payments, any way to do that?

Thanks very much again, thanks for understanding all the newbie questions.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Oct 31, 2013 at 10:46 am
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:22 am

End result of the call: on my computer Bill Pay won’t work with IE 10 (and of course BB had no interest in helping me troubleshoot), works with Chrome (which I never use otherwise). Just set up my first (test) payment to my mortgage company, Capital One. There were 6 system choices for Capital One, none of which indicated Mortgage, so I guessed at the “Capital One-Cash Room” option, guess I'll find out in a few days if it got to the right place.

- Once I saw the 6 choices under “Capital One”, I was not able to see any additional information about any of those choices; no addresses, no phone numbers, no zip codes. Is there a way to see addresses for the payees in their system?
-I was unable to see any way to change the date for a payment, am I missing something or can payments only be scheduled one day prior?

You can get 100 free paper checks from Bluebird until 1/1/2014 (see the section of the Bluebird fee schedule below at https://www.bluebird.com/legal#member-agreement. Why not just get the Bluebird checks, preauthorize them, then snail mail your mortgage payment to the correct address? Yes, you'll have to pay for stamps/envelopes but you won't have to worry about your mortgage payment being delivered to the correct address.

Checkbook order fees are waived through January 1, 2014. During the waiver period, Members are limited to one (1) Bluebird Check order
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:29 pm
jk2

I need to pay property taxes for $4K. Since BB comes with checks now, I'm wondering if it is safe to use them. By "safe" I mean - will AMEX pre-authorize the check for such big amount? I read somewhere here that since BB is for those who don't write checks for such amounts, AMEX may be curious/suspicious.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by rifleman940
You can get 100 free paper checks from Bluebird until 1/1/2014 (see the section of the Bluebird fee schedule below at https://www.bluebird.com/legal#member-agreement. Why not just get the Bluebird checks, preauthorize them, then snail mail your mortgage payment to the correct address? Yes, you'll have to pay for stamps/envelopes but you won't have to worry about your mortgage payment being delivered to the correct address.
No reason to do snail mail. If you are concerned about the address, you can send a check to any address straight through Bill Pay. (Save your checks and stamps.)
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:21 pm

-As I mentioned in the last post, you can send a check directly to anyone through bill pay by using their address. This is how I pay my HOA each month.
-Unfortunately you cannot change the date of a payment nor can you setup recurring payments. If you have a certain date that you want to send something, you have to log on that day to do it. Payees that are already setup with BB typically take 1 business day to arrive. Payees that are mailed usually take a little longer but I don't know how long.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:36 pm

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I have the 100 free BB checks already, first thing I did once my account was activated. I know I could just mail a check but the convenience of a simple and efficient on-line bill pay system is addicting, I don’t think I’ve mailed a mortgage or monthly condo payment paper check for years. And based on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ortcoming.html, I’m very hesitant, if not absolutely indisposed, to have BB mail a check. Looks like I’ll be mailing some BB checks from now on. Seems like a step backwards but I guess we do what's necessary to feed our habit!

Thanks again.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Oct 31, 2013 at 3:16 pm
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:01 pm

Oh that's scary. I never had those issues, but I only make one payment a month. Yea, it's safer to use pre-authorized checks but to each his own. (I'm too lazy lol).
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:32 pm

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I have the 100 free BB checks already, first thing I did once my account was activated. I know I could just mail a check but the convenience of a simple and efficient on-line bill pay system is addicting, I don’t think I’ve mailed a mortgage or monthly condo payment paper check for years. And based on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ortcoming.html, I’m very hesitant, if not absolutely indisposed, to have BB mail a check. Looks like I’ll be mailing some BB checks from now on. Seems like a step backwards but I guess we do what's necessary to feed our habit!

Thanks again.
Why not add the proper address for Capital One? I do this for my PenFed mortgage. Takes a few days but I save the postage.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:45 pm

Apologize if this has already been addressed here, but wasn't able to sort through all the old posts.

I am currently working on getting my minimum spend on my Ink Bold via Staples and $200 Visa/MC GCs. Unfortunately both WMs near me do not have kiosks so I am stuck doing manual loads with a cashier. Is it possible to use more than one GC per transaction or would have I have to do a separate transaction for each GC? I have been treading rather lightly and only been doing one card per visit, but I don't think that is going to be sustainable if I pick up my spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.