Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:16 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Has anyone successfully gotten a rewards debit card to pay out with the online reload?

It shows up as a POS Pre-authorized Debit on my card, not sure if that will earn points or not. Going to have to wait a month and a half to find out if I got anything for it
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:53 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
Best way to pay with credit card and have a check sent?

Hi,

I'm planning to pay my tuition fee which is around $12,000. I have 2 cards that require a minimum $2,000 spending each for their rewards promotion.

Is there any way to pay with a credit card and have a check sent to a payee?

Thank you!
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:57 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...er-checks.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ow-1k-day.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...solidated.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ey-orders.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-payments.html

All of the above are options. However, IME I have always been able to pay college tuition directly with a CC.

Last edited by cashback; Oct 13, 2013 at 11:03 pm
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
However, IME I have always been able to pay college tuition directly with a CC.
Same.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:08 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
Same.
You guys are so lucky! ^ My school (UC Davis) only accepts Discover.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:48 pm

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks.

I've read mixed responses on whether most people transfer the $$ from BB to their bank account vs using BB exclusively for Bill Pay. It just seems like a lot of trouble to schedule cc payments etc when I already have it on autopay. Is it safer to just write a BB check to my spouse rather than transferring $ to my bank acct?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by subdawg
I've read mixed responses on whether most people transfer the $$ from BB to their bank account vs using BB exclusively for Bill Pay. It just seems like a lot of trouble to schedule cc payments etc when I already have it on autopay. Is it safer to just write a BB check to my spouse rather than transferring $ to my bank acct?
Makes no difference. A transfer online took 3 business days just like another other bank's external transfer.

Writing a check probably also takes the same amount of days to clear given it is an out of area check. No experience here as I dont want to waste the check to do something can easily be done online and save the checks for real needs such as paying parties that only take check or cash payment.

Besides, if the bill pay is to a credit card that one would not use as soon as the spend requirement is met, why even bother to set up auto-pay? I suspect many use BB would have cards just like that.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by KPT
Has anyone successfully gotten a rewards debit card to pay out with the online reload?

It shows up as a POS Pre-authorized Debit on my card, not sure if that will earn points or not. Going to have to wait a month and a half to find out if I got anything for it

That's a very good question. Unlike Walmart or CVS , Bluebird can hardly be considered a merchant. I will find out on November 5, when my bank statement closes and I will let everyone know.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:10 pm

Bluebird limits status?

Is there any report/sortable data you can get in your bluebird my account to show where you are at with your limits for the month? Or do I have to manually track it?

found one CVS with beans.... out of 3... argh...

doing as much MS as I can! Love the site, thanks for all the info everyone!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
You have to manually track it but your history will show how much you've loaded and the limit resets every calendar month.

If you try exceeding the limit it will reject the load so that's another way to do it ;-)
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:02 pm

I've read a lot of this thread but have been seeing varying opinions on the following:

can i buy VR's, download to BB, then transfer to my Wells Fargo checking without throwing up red flags?

I'm looking to cover my mortgage, car payment, and PG&E bill without changing all of my auto-pays. Mainly because I'm afraid if VR's start becoming scarce again or I happen to have a low balance on my BB and don't want to have insufficient funds. A problem I know I will not have with my Wells Fargo account.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meadows6
I've read a lot of this thread but have been seeing varying opinions on the following:

can i buy VR's, download to BB, then transfer to my Wells Fargo checking without throwing up red flags?

I'm looking to cover my mortgage, car payment, and PG&E bill without changing all of my auto-pays. Mainly because I'm afraid if VR's start becoming scarce again or I happen to have a low balance on my BB and don't want to have insufficient funds. A problem I know I will not have with my Wells Fargo account.
If all you do is using BB a conduit as described, I am fairly confident your account would be flagged in no time.

Still, I dont understand at all, why you would need to worry about your balance in BB? There is no auto pay function with BB which is NOT a bank. So if no VRs, you dont have anything to load BB and you go back to pay your bills from your bank accounts which SHOULD have funds. It is just not auto-pay anymore but a manual bill pay from your bank account with the payees already set up.

So not sure what the logic or lack thereof that your thinking is based on?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by meadows6

I signed up just to answer this.
You said you've read a lot of this thread, but asked a question that has been talked about many times over. Read more.

From what I have read, it varies. It seems BB doesn't like you filling it with VR's just to transfer them out to your bank. It's a hit or miss if they decide to freeze your account.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:57 pm

I'm honored to be the impetus of your sign-up. I read the majority of the thread more than a few months ago and have since read other blogs, websites, etc. and came across conflicting anecdotal reports. Thus, I came back here to check. And since search was not showing anything and I don't have another 10+ hours to weed through things tonight, I figured I would put myself up for ridicule and just ask outright.

Thanks for your reply!

Originally Posted by f0xx
I signed up just to answer this.
You said you've read a lot of this thread, but asked a question that has been talked about many times over. Read more.

From what I have read, it varies. It seems BB doesn't like you filling it with VR's just to transfer them out to your bank. It's a hit or miss if they decide to freeze your account.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:00 pm

That's what I figured. Thanks for letting me know. I honestly just like to have things streamlined as much as possible. So keeping the autopay with wells fargo is ideal, but since that seems like a good way to raise red flags I will just pay online monthly through BB.

Originally Posted by Happy
If all you do is using BB a conduit as described, I am fairly confident your account would be flagged in no time.

Still, I dont understand at all, why you would need to worry about your balance in BB? There is no auto pay function with BB which is NOT a bank. So if no VRs, you dont have anything to load BB and you go back to pay your bills from your bank accounts which SHOULD have funds. It is just not auto-pay anymore but a manual bill pay from your bank account with the payees already set up.

So not sure what the logic or lack thereof that your thinking is based on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.