Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SGJazz
Ditto. Also note that the coupon is $10 off min $10 purchase.
And while it explicitly doesn't say, you can't buy $10 worth of alcohol or dairy (those are items "prohibited by law" ... I've run into this in the past)
Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
And while it explicitly doesn't say, you can't buy $10 worth of alcohol or dairy (those are items "prohibited by law" ... I've run into this in the past)
This might be state specific.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vtqanh
This might be state specific.
California -_-
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:36 pm

Did not work in CA on 5 bottles of Boone's Farm

OFFER ends on the 20th

Last edited by Alcibiades; Apr 11, 2013 at 2:05 pm
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Anyone have a link/screen shot to the offer?

I was away the first couple weeks of the promo, so, all traces have disappeared. No signage in any of the Vons I've visited, and cashiers (and even managers) know nothing about the promo. This is useful in the event the coupon doesn't print -- which happens often. If coupon fails to print, and you have proof of the offer, you're usually given a Vons GC, and/or just $10 from the register (happened for me in the past). If you don't have proof of offer, then manager just directs you to contact 'Vons customer service', which really is a pain.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Moderator: The title is a bit misleading because there is a $5.95 fee to purchase each gift card. So it really should read:

Safeway/VONS: 4.05% back on $100 Mastercard GC purchase

Because really you are paying $105.95 for $100 GC + $10 worth of Safeway credit.

IMO this really belongs in SPAM where more people will see it (7-9% return is quite different than manufactured spending where generally you PAY to manufacture CC spend) but don't read that as questioning mod. action.

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm thinking about doing this one. The way I would do it is to use my AMEX BCP to buy the $100 MC GC + pay the $5.95 fee. I get 6% cash back on grocery purchases, so that's a shade over $6, basically cancelling out the GC processing fee.

What I get in return is a $10 Vons coupon (good for 2 wks in the past). However, I would still need to liquidate the MC GC. Now that my local VR sellers aren't allowing GC for payment anymore, the best ways to liquidate the MC GC would be Amazon Payments or Target AMEX. This is too much work for a $10 coupon, but if I could do it 3-4 times, it would be worth it.
Agreed. I get 3% back on groceries with my BofA card, but I am debating whether it is worth the hassle of carrying even more cards and tracking gift cards balances for what amounts to a 7% return. Maybe so if one can more easily liquidate at $100 a pop online. I certainly wouldn't bother just to manufacture a few hundred in spend.

Last edited by Boraxo; Apr 12, 2013 at 4:32 pm
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Moderator: The title is a bit misleading because there is a $5.95 fee to purchase each gift card. So it really should read:

Safeway/VONS: 4.05% back on $100 Mastercard GC purchase

Because really you are paying $105.95 for $100 GC + $10 worth of Safeway credit.

IMO this really belongs in SPAM where more people will see it (7-9% return is quite different than manufactured spending where generally you PAY to manufacture CC spend) but don't read that as questioning mod. action
It's not misleading because almost everyone with a working knowledge of gift cards knows that GCs have a purchase fee, anywhere from $3.95 to $6.95.

The $10 coupon erases the purchase fee and then some, which is why it's worth discussing, as many people have credit cards that earn grocery bonuses.

GCs are important in manufacturing spend as they can be liquidated in a variety of ways, including to BB/MOs with the new PIN laws.

This can be used for both spend shifting (for categories) and manufactured spend.

And who said you can't make money off manufacturing spend?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Safeway/VONS - $10 off coupon w/ $100 Mastercard Gift Cards 3/24-4/20/2013

I don't buy GCs with fees, so this was news to me. I don't think it's obvious - most store-specific GCs don't have fees and those are the ones most people buy.

Yes the fee is maybe only a small nuisance on a $500 card but a big % on a $100 card. Yes, the promo covers the fee and then some, but 4% is not 10%.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:11 am
Original Poster

I don't buy GCs with fees, so this was news to me. I don't think it's obvious - most store-specific GCs don't have fees and those are the ones most people buy.

Yes the fee is maybe only a small nuisance on a $500 card but a big % on a $100 card. Yes, the promo covers the fee and then some, but 4% is not 10%.
It clearly says in the title that it's Mastercard GCs, not store-branded ones.

Who said you can't buy a $500 card?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by amolkold
Who said you can't buy a $500 card?
Exactly. Why buy for less!?:-)
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First

ding ding ding
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
I bought a few in the past few days and have 3 $10 off coupons. The coupons can be used only for groceries (dairy, alcohol etc not included).

I think it is a good deal. You basically get free miles and a few bucks back. If you have a bonus earning card, even better.

I could easily load these cards to BB.

Originally Posted by Bender464
ding ding ding
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
There are big signs re: this promo at every register at my local Vons, but oddly enough no signs next to the GCs themselves. I go in, do the GC transaction, get my coupon, then go back and buy $10 worth of groceries. Why make two trips? Plus a stop at Wally World on the way home.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:39 am

Newbie question....

Can I buy this to help meet a spend requirement on a credit card?

For instance, the fine print on one card says eligible purchases "do not include fees or interest charges,...purchase or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents"

I'm not sure if this purchase would be identified as a prepaid card, or just as a generic Safeway purchase.

Thanks for any advice.

p.s. For those looking for signage, this offer was also advertised on the back page of the current Sunday-Tues Safeway ad at my store. The ads are available at stores or online.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
Up until now, no one has reported safeway store Visa/MC gift card purchase being treated as cash advance.

I have personally got these gift cards using Amex/Citi/Chase/Barclays card so far and always got the points.

I have heard from other FT'ers that Citi treats some of the prepaid/gift card purchases as cash advance but I haven't had that experience yet. So in essence, I think this will most likely count to your min spend and you will get the points.

Originally Posted by pdk560
Newbie question....

Can I buy this to help meet a spend requirement on a credit card?

For instance, the fine print on one card says eligible purchases "do not include fees or interest charges,...purchase or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents"

I'm not sure if this purchase would be identified as a prepaid card, or just as a generic Safeway purchase.

Thanks for any advice.

p.s. For those looking for signage, this offer was also advertised on the back page of the current Sunday-Tues Safeway ad at my store. The ads are available at stores or online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.