Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 2:52 pm

The PayPal site says that there is a $4.95 monthly fee to use this card, as well as ATM fees: https://www.paypal-prepaid.com/prepa...l_fees_popup.m

The Safeway site says that the $4.95 purchase fee is waived, but it is silent about the monthly fee to use the card. Caveat emptor.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:41 pm

Vons deal worked well for me yesterday. Planning to wipe out my local store today and then head for others in the neighborhood over the weekend.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by aegt123
Planning to wipe out my local store today and then head for others in the neighborhood over the weekend.
Haha, should have done discreetly though ^
Old May 30, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Vons deal worked well for me yesterday. Planning to wipe out my local store today and then head for others in the neighborhood over the weekend.
How many 'Just4U' accounts do you have? It's a 'one-time' coupon.

Still don't know if I want to partake in this as I don't want to register for the paypal debit card program. Would really just rather 'one-and-done' this thing if it could PIN out at WM.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by thehawk75
How many 'Just4U' accounts do you have? It's a 'one-time' coupon.

Still don't know if I want to partake in this as I don't want to register for the paypal debit card program. Would really just rather 'one-and-done' this thing if it could PIN out at WM.
When I was asked at a Tom Thumb in TX how many cards I had (by a very friendly and helpful checker), I just answered "enough" She smiled and said nothing.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:21 pm
jmw

You guys know you have to register with Paypal and they have a history of holding your money hostage for months or even forever as soon as they think you are up to no good.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jmw
You guys know you have to register with Paypal and they have a history of holding your money hostage for months or even forever as soon as they think you are up to no good.
You do NOT have to register the card with PayPal (at least that's what the FAQ says). It will expire in 120 days of you don't. What is unclear is if you have to register in order to get the PIN which is what makes it useful for BB.

https://www.paypal-prepaid.com/faq.shtml

Edit:
Dang, I think I just found it in the Cardholder Agreement:
You will not receive a PIN with your Card Account. However, you will receive a PIN once you have registered your Card with your personal information.
https://www.paypal-prepaid.com/accou...nt_01Nov11.pdf
Old May 30, 2013, 11:56 pm

Since this is a short lived deal anyway, I will explain the deal.

Go to Vons and buy the card. Register the card at paypal.com/prepaid. You will be asked to register a pin during the activation process. Once you go pass the first page, you will be asked to fill in your personal info. At that point, I call the number on the sticker and tell that I don't want to give my personal info and request them to activate my card with 'limited features'. They will activate the card and say that you won't be able to use the card online, over the phone or as an ATM card.

After they activate the card, you can pretty much cash this card out just like everyone other PIN based gc. Use the PIN that you selected on the first page of activation.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:46 pm

Go to Vons and buy the card. Register the card at paypal.com/prepaid. You will be asked to register a pin during the activation process. Once you go pass the first page, you will be asked to fill in your personal info. At that point, I call the number on the sticker and tell that I don't want to give my personal info and request them to activate my card with 'limited features'. They will activate the card and say that you won't be able to use the card online, over the phone or as an ATM card.

After they activate the card, you can pretty much cash this card out just like everyone other PIN based gc. Use the PIN that you selected on the first page of activation.
Thanks. But with so many steps to save just $5, I will pass.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:08 pm

This method seems to work so far. I started the process online and set the PIN then called in. Had to wade thru some menus. First prompt asks for the card number. Second one asks for your SSN, or press 1 if you don't have one - I pressed 1. Then it asks for birthdate at which point I hit # and got put into a very long hold queue before actually talking to someone. Asked to activate with limited features without providing my personal info. He gave me no problem. Even said "may I at least ask for your name" to which I responded with my first name only. Went online and tried the activation again. Put in the right PIN and it proceeded forward. Tried again with the wrong PIN and it errored out, so the PIN seems to be set properly. Tomorrow will be the true test as I load to BB.

Originally Posted by shel
Thanks. But with so many steps to save just $5, I will pass.
It's not about saving the $5, it's about earning double miles for free (my card earns 2x at grocery stores). It's the same reason people are jumping on the Chase card - free miles, but even better here because it's 2x (at least for me)!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
+1.

I have Amex PRG which is 2x for grocery store. I will also hit 30K this year, which will make this 2.5x. So it is worth it for me. I plan on getting 4 Paypal Prepaid with 4 different just 4U accounts.

I will load one of these to BB in a day or 2 and give you all an update.

Originally Posted by jasonvr
This method seems to work so far. I started the process online and set the PIN then called in. Had to wade thru some menus. First prompt asks for the card number. Second one asks for your SSN, or press 1 if you don't have one - I pressed 1. Then it asks for birthdate at which point I hit # and got put into a very long hold queue before actually talking to someone. Asked to activate with limited features without providing my personal info. He gave me no problem. Even said "may I at least ask for your name" to which I responded with my first name only. Went online and tried the activation again. Put in the right PIN and it proceeded forward. Tried again with the wrong PIN and it errored out, so the PIN seems to be set properly. Tomorrow will be the true test as I load to BB.

It's not about saving the $5, it's about earning double miles for free (my card earns 2x at grocery stores). It's the same reason people are jumping on the Chase card - free miles, but even better here because it's 2x (at least for me)!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 1:19 pm

Further follow up. Card loaded to BB flawlessly. No having to hit cancel, no weird messages/denials. Immediately popped up the prompt for the PIN and went thru.

So I went to the local Vons and purchased several more using more J4U accounts (from relatives, etc). Manager helped me do them all in succession, one at a time. Called in to activate one more to load to BB (to max out the $1000 per day) and it took longer with the agent this time, though less time on hold. Agent gave me this whole schpeel about what a limited account could and could not do. Oddly he listed off a couple of fees that are just flat wrong - $2 for signature transactions and $1 for PIN based debit transactions. I knew the card had 0 fees for purchases so I ignored him. And where are they going to assess the fee when I drain the card even if it were true? Second card loaded to BB flawlessly as well.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:15 pm

Longtime lurker,

My experience: I bought two at local safeway over the weekend and I had to show the clerk the $5 off at the gift card rack. He manually gave me $10 off, which was fine. I got home and tried to setup pin and activate card, but the first phone rep said I couldn't activate without giving my info. I hung up and called back, this phone rep activated my two cards (having already established PIN before calling in), but when he activated the cards, told me that the remaining balance was $495.05 for each card because of the monthly fee. Did this happen to everyone else? If this is the case, this really isn't much of a deal since I am only saving $1 per card since I'm not buying regular Visa gift cards.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
but you can just buy a vanilla gc with $5 which gives the same 2x at grocery stores. all the hassle saved only the $5 fee. of course it's a different story if you have 10+ accounts.^

and what's the chase card deal?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:23 pm

The monthly fee and the many steps/phone calls involved make this not worth it to me.

Originally Posted by nayrb3
Longtime lurker,

My experience: I bought two at local safeway over the weekend and I had to show the clerk the $5 off at the gift card rack. He manually gave me $10 off, which was fine. I got home and tried to setup pin and activate card, but the first phone rep said I couldn't activate without giving my info. I hung up and called back, this phone rep activated my two cards (having already established PIN before calling in), but when he activated the cards, told me that the remaining balance was $495.05 for each card because of the monthly fee. Did this happen to everyone else? If this is the case, this really isn't much of a deal since I am only saving $1 per card since I'm not buying regular Visa gift cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.