Go Back   > > >
    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 20, 16, 11:00 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Safeway/Vons master thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Alcibiades
Wiki Link
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 20, 13, 11:46 am   #181

I had a similar experience with using the $10 off coupon. I did seperate transactions in the self check line, total was around $13 and the coupon wouldn't take. The person working the self check would come over and manually put in the $10 to take the bill to $3 and then put the coupon in the garbage. Did this this three times on the same visit, something to try out if you have issues as well, ymmv.
nayrb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 13, 12:01 pm   #182

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Same thing happened last time this deal was live...I always spent just over $10, the coupon wouldn't attach, the cashier would say, "These coupons never work!", and s/he would manually take the $10 off. I find it easier to avoid the self-check out lines because I know it will require human intervention anyway.
groobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 13, 12:48 pm   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu455 View Post
I am not sure exact amount needed as I was not aware of the dairy exclusion. But I am sure it was more than $12 of groceries as I had 1 item costing $12 but coupon did not work.
Yes, dairy are excluded, as I was told by multiple cashiers.

Also, eggs are considered dairy too.
shel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 13, 3:05 pm   #184

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
$500 variable load is not generating the $10 coupon.
I guess safeway fixed the glitch. It was fun last time around...
iqbalt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 13, 3:36 pm   #185

Programs: AA GLD 1.86MM, SPG GLD, PC PLT, HH DMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqbalt80 View Post
$500 variable load is not generating the $10 coupon.
I guess safeway fixed the glitch. It was fun last time around...
If you happen to need to buy a lot of groceries at Vons, then you technically have a higher return on investment with the $100 cards
thehawk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 13, 4:05 pm   #186

Just returned from Safeway. So difficult to use coupon--has to wait for manager manual override! Use the self-checkout if possible, as the cashier at self-checkout has the power to override while regulars don't.
shel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 13, 6:31 am   #187

It is $10 off... no minimum amount to spend. Well, except $10. True, it was a hassle to redeem them as it only took off one penny and had to track down the manager for override.
I had 4 so I had to split it into 4 separate transfer and 4 separate overrides. That was fun.
Wonder why these don't scan correctly on their own
frogdog51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 13, 9:54 am   #188

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogdog51 View Post
It is $10 off... no minimum amount to spend. Well, except $10. True, it was a hassle to redeem them as it only took off one penny and had to track down the manager for override.
I had 4 so I had to split it into 4 separate transfer and 4 separate overrides. That was fun.
Wonder why these don't scan correctly on their own
They make these coupons unnecessarily difficult to use probably because they want customer to give up and throw it away!
raghu455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 13, 10:22 am   #189

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Anyone tried to use the $10 coupon to buy another $100 Visa card?
jwudbwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 13, 11:25 am   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwudbwei View Post
Anyone tried to use the $10 coupon to buy another $100 Visa card?
Wow, great idea! No body ever thought of that in the past near two years that they've ever run this promotion...

If you really don't know the answer, just go and look at the posts as recently as yesterday, and still on this same page.

But feel free to try... maybe you'll have a lucky day where by there will be a glitch that has since been introduced.
Old Jun 21, 13, 2:39 pm   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehawk75 View Post
Wow, great idea! No body ever thought of that in the past near two years that they've ever run this promotion...

If you really don't know the answer, just go and look at the posts as recently as yesterday, and still on this same page.

But feel free to try... maybe you'll have a lucky day where by there will be a glitch that has since been introduced.
... scanning through the page ...
... scanning through posts from yesterday (ah, lots from The Hawk) ...

A lot of claims but nobody has said they tried !
Since it is not in the T&C, the only way to know is TRY. I'll let you know next week, hehe, even it is probably goign to fail
Old Jun 21, 13, 2:53 pm   #192

Quote:

Since it is not in the T&C, the only way to know is TRY. I'll let you know next week, hehe, even it is probably goign to fail
I "tried" today. Got $100 Visa at self-check. Attendant needed to complete sale. Got the Catalina and started transaction #2. Put in $100 Visa first, entered Safeway club number, scanned coupon. Said attendant needed. I then scanned in the $11 in groceries from my cart and tried the coupon again. Attendant needed. Got attendant, who manually input discount.

I made sure not to have any of the normally excluded products (like dairy). Looks like these coupons are not behaving properly. Anyone able to use one without a cashier having to do an override?
mithrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 13, 3:20 pm   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrin View Post
I "tried" today. Got $100 Visa at self-check. Attendant needed to complete sale. Got the Catalina and started transaction #2. Put in $100 Visa first, entered Safeway club number, scanned coupon. Said attendant needed. I then scanned in the $11 in groceries from my cart and tried the coupon again. Attendant needed. Got attendant, who manually input discount.

I made sure not to have any of the normally excluded products (like dairy). Looks like these coupons are not behaving properly. Anyone able to use one without a cashier having to do an override?
Great. thank for the info. I'll try it this weekend and report back.
Old Jun 21, 13, 3:43 pm   #194

Quote:

Well, I wasn't making anything up when I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehawk75 View Post
Dairy products, gift cards, booze, smokes, stamps, etc are all excluded, as are 'taxes' for that matter. Although I have gotten CRV to qualify in the past.

That said, they still don't disclose the actual exclusions anywhere as far as I can tell. Not on any of the promotional material, nor the coupon itself. So, if you're willing to put the effort and perhaps debate with the manager for a while, they will ultimately honor the coupon for anything they sell in the store.
And note, saying 'I have gotten CRV to qualify in the past' was to also imply I've tried the other things mentioned as well

For that matter, I also get the store managers to honor booze all the time... You will never convince them to honor the coupon on another Visa GC though -- for obvious reasons.

And back in the old days when they listed the exclusions, on the very first post of the old thread, the exclusions are listed:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...groceries.html

And those exclusions of course included gift cards.

At any rate, you are of course welcome to try anyway.
Old Jun 21, 13, 8:03 pm   #195

A $200 coupon also generates $10 off coupon. Just like others, I too had to call the manager to get the $10 off manually even though I didn't have any dairy, eggs, lottery or any of the restricted stuff.
aegt123 is offline   Reply With Quote