Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I was able to buy 2 $500 Vanilla Visa GCs today with a CC at the nearest Walgreens, but the offer wasn't coded into the register so they had to manually issue me a $5 Walgreens GC. It's re-loadable, but I don't know why I would.
Tried out Walgreens for the first time today. Picked up 2 $500 VGCs and showed the manager the flyer. He grabbed a Walgreens GC off of the same rack and scanned then swiped it, entering $5. The system automatically took the $5 off. BUT i think you have to scan your Walgreens Balance Card before hand. Asked about daily limits of purchasing, he didn't know.

At another locations, I was able to charge 4x500 all at once. The cashier swiped 2 separate Walgreens GC enter $5 for each. The system promptly took those off. I thought you can only buy $500 per transaction. I guess it's YMMV per location.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goblue77
Tried out Walgreens for the first time today. Picked up 2 $500 VGCs and showed the manager the flyer. He grabbed a Walgreens GC off of the same rack and scanned then swiped it, entering $5. The system automatically took the $5 off. BUT i think you have to scan your Walgreens Balance Card before hand. Asked about daily limits of purchasing, he didn't know.

At another locations, I was able to charge 4x500 all at once. The cashier swiped 2 separate Walgreens GC enter $5 for each. The system promptly took those off. I thought you can only buy $500 per transaction. I guess it's YMMV per location.
I'm going to try again at another Walgreens tomorrow. Since the first place had to do the $5 GC manually, I should be able to get one more $5 GC even if the limit is one total. Then I'll try another place, in case it isn't.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:04 am

The Walgreens corporate policy is that one may not purchase more than $500 worth of gift cards daily. However, I have found that depending upon who checks you out, the policy may or not be enforced. Of the three Walgreens I have in town, only two enforce the $500 policy store-wide. The third Walgreens is hit or miss.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:34 am

NOt so sure about that

Someone here also said that Walgreens has a limit of one VR activation per 24 hour period. So it seems you might be able to purchase more but activation could be limited per day.

YMMV.. it seems. I'm making a habit of treating everywhere I go as unique.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Is it still Walgreens overall policy that they may not sell GC's with a CC and you are all finding loophole branches? Or has the policy truly changed? I have not been able to buy GC's with a CC from my local Walgreens, so if there is a policy change, I'd love to educate them!!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
VR's have really dried up over the past 2-4 weeks in the Boston area. Been hitting a CVS whenever I see one (and there's a LOT of them here), and I'm probably 0/6 at this point. Between around this time last year and through the summer the supply was always flowing. Hope this is temporary!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I've exhausted my $10,000 (myself and my wife) in monthly BB loads. I've maxed out a couple thousand in monthly AP spending. I have a still-active 5x drug/grocery/gas cc. If I wanted to buy a few thousand more dollars in BBs or GCs at my 5x stores, is there a relatively easy way to unload them these days? I had a MVD card, but I know that's not working well these days. And I'm not keen to buy MO at Walmart. Any other option where the reward is better than the risk, especially if I'm just looking for a few thousand in more MS? Thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by iahphx
So I've exhausted my $10,000 (myself and my wife) in monthly BB loads. I've maxed out a couple thousand in monthly AP spending. I have a still-active 5x drug/grocery/gas cc. If I wanted to buy a few thousand more dollars in BBs or GCs at my 5x stores, is there a relatively easy way to unload them these days? I had a MVD card, but I know that's not working well these days. And I'm not keen to buy MO at Walmart. Any other option where the reward is better than the risk, especially if I'm just looking for a few thousand in more MS? Thanks.
This is where you teach friends and fam--the types who get our mindset--how to obtain the bb, get a sapphire card, do the $3k spend in vr in a few days, and get the ipad they want for free with the 40k ur points converted to bestbuy gcs.

They will be so happy with how you helped them, theyll likely let you borrow or rent their bluebirds after they are done now and you now have new vehicles to load!

Just be watchful of any tax or personal laws
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Go to a g...... store and get the MO, I never go to MW to do this, and have a great working relationship with the clerk at Krogers... Or you can buy VR a month ahead..

Last edited by FlightNurse; Jan 28, 2014 at 11:16 am
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Go to a grocery store and get the MO, I never go to MW to do this, and have a great working relationship with the clerk at Krogers... Or you can buy VR a month ahead..
I would look into the Paypal Mycash cards and load some of those through PayPal. That's my plan once I'm done with the bird.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:50 pm

I've heard PayPal will shut people down. I'm ok if it. If they are willing to lose me as a customer I'm willing to lose them. I've been with them over 14 years ..it should mean something to PayPal.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:02 pm

Have things dried up for other folks in the DC region? I haven't seen anything in weeks now.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:50 pm

Can't seem to find any in Southern Indiana or Louisville KY.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:43 pm

I guess I'll join in the above posts - I'm in the MSP area and all the stores near me have been dry for weeks. I've asked the employees and they all say they have not been restocked. Anyone know what gives?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: UNited American
I've gotten 14 cards (500 vanilla visa) since Sunday at walgreens. Not loaded into register but manager doing gift cards manually. No one mentioning any limits. Buying 2K at a time. Not a great deal but easier to deal with than the MC cards, and about ten gallons of free milk for my teenagers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.