Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
By not scanning a DL, you can get around the 5k/day rule that CVS has. So, that'd be one valid reason!
Ok let me tell you how I do it, I just buy 5K one day the next day buy 5K more then the following day 5K more, you get the hint... This is much faster then wasting time doing the other way. But other people have their way of doing it
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This makes no sense, if VR's are drying up in some area's, then why aren't you buying as much as you can when they are hanging on the rack? Also, if the TYP is ending again then you buy as much as you can until it ends...
Isn't that basically what I said? What about it doesn't make sense?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
It's always interesting to me how some people are so quick to be rude or insulting. Oh well. Such is life on the internet, I suppose!
I didn't find his comments rude, just honest... Even though this game is YMMV, many of use having been doing this for a while and have tried so many angles that truly the best way if to buy as much as you can at once... So what is you get a fraud alert on her account, it takes 45 seconds to fix it and you can continue with the purchase...
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jan_believes
One take, I just don't want to have my license scanned. I just show it. They match the name, it's all good. Hey, the nice manager even gets me an envelope from photo to put all the cards into!

I also don't get needless fraud alerts right when I'm standing at the counter because I changed from $500 per transactions to $1k purchases.

PS. Welcome to FT!
One fraud alert is not needless, and it take 45 seconds to get it straighten out..
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DCBob
Yes, but a $1K purchase can trigger a fraud alert and tie up the cash register for 10 minutes. Chase seems to do this a lot. Amex does not.
Bob the longest fraud alert took me 45 seconds.. Once the CC companies get to see your habit on spend, the alerts go away...
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:54 pm

The paranoia on display by some is astounding. All that time/stress spent to try and hide what is so obvious - I just don't get it.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CFFrost
I hope those people don't have cell phones.

Or engage in conversations about these covert activities on super secret internet forums where they go by totally anonymous pseudonyms that could never be tracked to them in any way . . . oh wait.
Exactly.....
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by theacolyte
The paranoia on display by some is astounding. All that time/stress spent to try and hide what is so obvious - I just don't get it.
I wonder if these people identify with the political party who is on the conversative side..
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:17 pm

I wonder if these people identify with the political party who is on the conversative side..
Heh, I've come to the belief that more extreme political beliefs correlates to higher levels of paranoia in those that hold them.

I myself also find the behavior to be abhorrent. In the case of CVS, they are a private company and they have every right to ask information of you. They have a duty establish reasonable policies that help prevent theft, money laundering, chargebacks, etc. Capitalism works because of the fostering of relationships of trust. Those that skirt CVS's rules are bad customers, and are the types that create ripples in the system that punish those who play the game fairly.

Besides the whole philosophical bs, there's also the idea that they're wasting other peoples' time. There's the additional time the cashier must spend processing separate transactions; there's the time other customers spend needlessly waiting due to another's irrational feelings; there's the wasted productivity for CVS because others must be called to the front as back-up cashiers. I don't expect them to care though. They hardly care about their own time, so I shouldn't expect them to be concerned about the time and money of others.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:24 pm

Why on earth do you care if they scan your DL? You should put the max of $500 on each card. Anything less is being foolish. The only people I know who would not allow their DLs to be scanned are either obsessed about privacy or are government conspiracy believers. You don't appear to fall in either category. I'm dying to hear your reasons.
Citi 5% at drug stores. I need to spend 6k to maximize the benefit. If I bought 12 VRs at 503.95 that equals $6047.40, yet I only get 5% up to $6,000.

Last time I went over the cashier had to hand type in my DL #, which is long in my state. She was trying to figure out how to enter, advance screen, etc. A line started lengthening and she seemed annoyed. Thus, I try to stay under $1k, because I won't get 5% for going over 1k and it saves the cashier a hassle and I want to be on good terms with her.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:40 pm

The managers at the CVS, grocery and gas stations I go to all know me. They dont even ask for my ID anymore. Neither do their staff.

They know that when I stop by it's always $1000 in MPs or GCs. I suppose I can push it by doing $5000 per visit. But I want to be doing this for many more years without having to get my accounts cancelled and recur the hassle of creating new accounts.

I tell them I buy a lot of these cards and give to my clients. Of course they ask for my business cards.

At the end of the day I build a trusting relationship with the stores I shop at. Most importantly all the stores have become part of my daily activities so no need to buy $5000 a time.

Many of these gas stations for example do about $20,000 in sales a day. Those people spending $5000 a day will definately get noticed because $5000 is 25% of the day's total sales.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:43 pm

But other people have their way of doing it
Other people may do more than 5k/day, 35k/wk and it can't be done just the 5k way.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by silver4300
<snip>
Last time I went over the cashier had to hand type in my DL #, which is long in my state. She was trying to figure out how to enter, advance screen, etc. A line started lengthening and she seemed annoyed. Thus, I try to stay under $1k, because I won't get 5% for going over 1k and it saves the cashier a hassle and I want to be on good terms with her.
I don't know where you're at or if this would work for you, but in my state (CA) the cashier can either swipe the card or scan a barcode beneath the mag strip. My card is so worn out that it never swipes, but most cashiers do not know it is possible to scan the ID. Usually what happens is they try to swipe it, and it doesn't work. Then I try to explain they can scan it, and they look at me like I am crazy. Then they realize that the alternative is typing in all of my driver's license info, and they try scanning it. They're usually shocked that it works, and happy I showed them a "trick."
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:04 pm

Just buy one card for $503.95 and then hand them a second credit card for another VR card. No scan required.
FWIW, my local store won't allow you to split purchases in order to prevent people skirting the DL scan (according to the store mgr).
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Fico2Go
I tell them I buy a lot of these cards and give to my clients. Of course they ask for my business cards.

At the end of the day I build a trusting relationship with the stores I shop at. Most importantly all the stores have become part of my daily activities so no need to buy $5000 a time.
Uhh...so you're trying to build a 'trusting relationship' based on deceit?

No offense, but that's not a very good strategy. You're not doing anything wrong, so why are you pretending to do something else? All of my best store relationships have been built by letting the right people know at the right time exactly what I'm doing, not making up some bogus reason that won't hold water the second someone starts asking questions or doing some basic arithmetic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.