Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
The Accelerated Cash Rewards card. I only purchased beans. I've purchased there before. Generally, I do transactions under $500. I'm going to try that to see if it changes the scenario.
Yikes. That would certainly be a way that this could end quickly. Hope it was a glitch of some sort.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ddallas
Yikes. That would certainly be a way that this could end quickly. Hope it was a glitch of some sort.
I think all of the companies know what we're buying, but maybe now they are looking into it more.

Another interesting point: I can't see my rewards anywhere on the screen when I log in. The option to view and/or redeem is missing. I think BofA is putting me in timeout.

One last thing: I abhor BofA for a multitude of reasons. I will just add this to the list.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UR, SPG,
This thread is very active. it's always on top... I just ignore it every time... i can never buy with a credit card. ughgh... I just got the amex SPG and citi AA master. that's 8K spend I have to meet.

the South Bay Area is a NO go for credit card buys... sucks
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
I'm not sure if anyone here is using BofA, but they have started categorizing purchases of beans as Cash advances. I have a card that was netting me a slight profit when considering fees, but now I'll go in a different direction. Needless to say, I'm not pleased. Is there a list of other banks that do this?
Yuck. Has it fully posted (meaning not in pending status)? Do you see an actual cash advance fee yet? I think some banks only post this at statement closing, so you may not.

If you feel like taking one for the cause, try purchasing a VR plus some merchandise. See if that posts as a cash advance.

I don't think we've seen reports of any banks doing this regularly. I will try a VR purchase on my BofA VS card. Note that last couple (11/17, 11/22) did not post as cash advances.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
It has completely posted. They are supposed to be calling me about something else later tonight, so I will ask them about it.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:32 pm

Not sure if this is relevant, but has anyone else noticed the letters MS on their apothecary receipts? Wonder if they are tagging the cards as manufactured spending? =-O
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
Not sure if this is relevant, but has anyone else noticed the letters MS on their apothecary receipts? Wonder if they are tagging the cards as manufactured spending? =-O
Those are there even when I don't buy beans! I feel goofy walking out with nothing if the bean racks are empty (which they usually are here in SF), so I grab a soda. It's on the receipt even then.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
It probably stands for "Manual Swipe" or something similar (versus keyed in if the card doesn't read).
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Mine says "Hello MM" on it
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Mine was on the 19th

11/22/2013 Collapse transaction for Transaction date: 11/22/2013 CVS 6415 06415 Transaction date: 11/19/2013
Card type: American Express
Transaction type: ATM Cash Advances or Bank Transaction
Reference number: M05DKK53101LZ028Y2
Merchant information: , TN
Offer ID: FX9LQFPM3
Dispute this transaction
Type Bank Transaction $999.90 $999.90
Do they do this for other gift cards?

Are they charging the extra interest of a cash advance? Or just reclassifying the transaction so you get less points?

You should buy something small with your beans to make the total fudged. Then it's slightly less obvious you bought beans. (At least they can't automatically detect it as easily). I grab a coke or something.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:32 pm

Yeah I might do that.

It's weird, I've been in twice since it was empty. First time there was ONE VR (the day after the employee told me they would get a shipment). I went again today and there were 4 of them spread out. So I feel like the guy hiding them is now leaving a couple out because he knows someone is on to him.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:49 am
Suspended

Do you get extracare points for bean purchases, or do they count as gift cards? Kind of regretting not signing up now that I'm reading the terms... could have gotten 2% back...
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by greggarious
Do you get extracare points for bean purchases, or do they count as gift cards? Kind of regretting not signing up now that I'm reading the terms... could have gotten 2% back...
No points, sadly.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by cvasara
Well, I'm sitting out here on the island of OGG, and made my Long's (CVS) run this morning. I can tell ya, the Long's in Kihei has 5 pegs of VR,s. didn't buy any there cuz I wanted to make a Costco run, and the Long's in Kahului has 5 pegs of VRs too. Had to educate the sweet young checker, that "no just cuz it says $20 doesn't mean I could have only $20. Manager called, I took my usual 1K, and ask the manager " what was the Max I could do on VR's a day? She said she would check, and came back with $5K.

I don't care to go to Lahaina, just a SW guy on this island. But for you that want VR's, as of this day, there are many. Oops, sorry, Very Many.
Good to know-will be there in Jan.

Has anyone seen the cards on the Big Island?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:22 pm

At what point do you all go beyond the $1k transactions? I've made some friends at my local store and don't mind running in every day for a quick shot, but with the holidays approaching I'd like to bulk up and drain throughout the month. I've hit a few CCs for just under $1k approximately every 48 hours, varying cards just to remain "safe" but I'd like to try and ramp this up a bit. Been only feeding the bird for a month though with close to $10k at the local store so not even remotely close to any CLs.

Thoughts on when some of you hit up your local stores hard?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.