Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Retailers that allow large Cash Back with purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:22 pm

Read through this old thread since it got brought back to life. Just to clarify, are people talking about cash back using debit GC's? Like if I have an OV or even a regular VGC or MCGC, can I use it at a self checkout and get cash back.

I do realize and use the other easier options with these cards, but just looking at this as a better option for OV's that aren't friendly with Kate.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by MG49
Read through this old thread since it got brought back to life. Just to clarify, are people talking about cash back using debit GC's? Like if I have an OV or even a regular VGC or MCGC, can I use it at a self checkout and get cash back.

I do realize and use the other easier options with these cards, but just looking at this as a better option for OV's that aren't friendly with Kate.
I don't know the full answer, but I have 1 datapoint that says "No". Tried using OV VGC for a measly $5 CB at my local Meijer. Denied. Tried again using my real bank DC, no problem. (Funny thing, I was then able to go to the counter and buy a MO with the OV DC, no problem!)

I would *love* to hear of any stores in the midwest or eastern seaboard that allow CB on gift cards like OV. If that same store allows $100+ per transaction, all the better!
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by coolblues
did my first $300 CB at self checkout... good way to liquidate debit card funds (that wud have shut me down using MO at WM)
Where did you do $300 CB? Whick store? thanks
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by gloobnib
I don't know the full answer, but I have 1 datapoint that says "No". Tried using OV VGC for a measly $5 CB at my local Meijer. Denied. Tried again using my real bank DC, no problem. (Funny thing, I was then able to go to the counter and buy a MO with the OV DC, no problem!)

I would *love* to hear of any stores in the midwest or eastern seaboard that allow CB on gift cards like OV. If that same store allows $100+ per transaction, all the better!
Cashback is a different kind of transaction and is disabled on gift cards.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:20 pm

At one Shoprite you can get $200 cashback, but at another 40 miles away the limit is $30. Lucky for me the first one is my local store.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:21 pm

CA cash back reply

Originally Posted by happy9zz
are you sure there is a place that allows $300 cash back from a debit card? I live in CA, and I haven't seen any place yet.
I live in LA and the Food 4 Less by me doesn't have any limit. I've taken out over $300 numerous times.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
To confirm, cash back is not an option for Visa gift cards purchased via Staples. Attempted cash back at CVS, Walmart and Walgreen without success. Cash back via debit card is not a method of manufactured spending, unfortunately. Cash back via debit card (non gift card debit card) is a convenient method to avoid the ATM fees. The thread inspired me.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
To confirm, cash back is not an option for Visa gift cards purchased via Staples. Attempted cash back at CVS, Walmart and Walgreen without success. Cash back via debit card is not a method of manufactured spending, unfortunately. Cash back via debit card (non gift card debit card) is a convenient method to avoid the ATM fees. The thread inspired me.
Just wanted to contest your statement that cash back isn't a method of MS--
It is part of the steps of MS. It is one of the ways to turn the CC-purchased points back into cash to pay the bills.

IMO, MS has to be thought of as the entire process:
1- Buy product to garner miles/points via CC
2- Load/redeem product to turn it into a cash (or MOS) or near-cash form (i.e. loaded to prepaid account/Bird, etc).
3- If step 2 was to a near-cash form, liquidation via billpay, cash withdrawal, etc. If step 2 was cash form, deposit to bank.
4- If step 3 was cash form, deposit to bank.
5- If it takes more steps then max of 4 you're going about it wrong!!

So the cashback from prepaid debits, in my book, falls into step 3 (of 4). It's a less ideal form of MS since it has the additional step, but still is in the workflow. More ideal/efficient forms of MS have only 2 or 3 steps max.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:25 pm

WalMart $100

Winn-Dixie $100

CVS $40

Walgreens $40

Aldi $200

Publix $50

Target $40
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:27 pm

Above is for standard debit cards, of course.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by Rich_Keen
And worthless in the context of a Manufactured Spending forum, of course.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rich_Keen
It also works for Visa/MC prepaid cards like GoB and WMmc for those who prefer to take out cash if they have a huge balance and not a lot of billpays to make. Am3x prepaid won't work because the PIN is strictly for atm withdrawal, it does not work for getting CB at the store.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Mamibear
...for those who prefer to take out cash if they have a huge balance and not a lot of billpays to make.
I understand this in theory, although I have a hard time imagining why someone would have a large balance on their reloadable card without first incurring a large CC bill to get that balance (which one would in turn pay off using the reloadable card's billpay feature).

But... to each their own I guess.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
$1000 MO is ~$0.70

Is doing multiple cashbacks to get to $1000 really worth the trouble to save $0.70?
It's worth the trouble to not get shut down buying MO's with a reloadable...

After I've done all the MO's a particular location will allow in a day (using VGC's), and loaded Netspend and Gobank the max I feel comfortable with (using VGC's), then CB is a nice way to unload my reloadables while still giving them all their props (fees). I'm a firm believer that generating fees for them is the most important aspect of not getting shut down. CB codes as a purchase and the merchant eats the fee. I can go 3x the monthly limit on Gobank without a problem, and I believe it's because I'm profitable to them. And because I unload in a fashion which the "unbanked" would do, i.e. NOT transferring to another bank, and NOT paying large CC bills.

Last edited by TyroneSchulase; Jul 24, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by MG49

Hiw is GoBank with depositing MO's? Im guessing it's all done online/phone? Any experience with Simple Bank?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.