Search

Vanilla reload broken PIN scam reports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:43 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:06 am
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname
You can easily remove bits of the scratchcard with your fingernails to reveal, to see, if all 10 numbers are there prior to purchasing.

Extreme?

Not for people that have been duped. That fear, the horror, a sinking feeling, never goes away.

In truth, it was our fault. We didn't check.

In practice, if the scratchcard is intact with the security lines matching, the card is good.

The scratchcard is "poured on" and a good look will show if the card has been tampered.

Still worried?

Use your fingernails to scratch a lateral line cross the scratchcard, reveling the number are present, but not the clearly showing the numbers.

Or, scratch all the numbers clear, see that nothing has been tampered, then cover up with printer tape prior to purchasing.

If the numbers are missing, no loss. Report to the store.

In most cases, you'll know more about VR and it's uses than management/staff. I've found, telling them what you are doing, bringing them in on the project, offering to teach and explain what can be accomplish, brings the store personal on to your side. You're now a team and people want to help. People want to see you succeed.

Most don't want to bother, or the project is of no use, but people will help.

Keep your receipts. Keep your cards. Keep records. Be grateful and go for it big time. A great gift.

Thank to all at MS/FT for teaching/sharing.

P.S.
I've found the employees at VR/MVD to be very competent and know their stuff. Patient and more than, much more than willing to help. They are people too, nobody likes to see others ripped off.

BUT... you won't get ripped off if you LOOK AT THE CARD. CHECK THE CARDS.
My point exactly. I have been doing this since my parents got hit with one of these missing PINs. I scratch before I buy. The most I have ever been asked is this one particular clerk who has looked at the card on 2 or 3 separate occasions and told me "it looks like this card has already been scratched", to which I'll say "yes, I did that". At this point she already knows my routine. All other clerks have not even noticed the PIN has been scratched off, which is even scarier.

More details of my own experience and the final resolution below:

http://freetravelguys.com/bluebird/v...comment-100241
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mromero07
While this makes it harder, it doesn't address the problem if the people who are stealing the PINs work for InComm. The card could have been tampered with before it even gets to CVS, in which case keeping them behind the counter is useless. Having CVS cash registers generate a random PIN on your receipt would probably be a more effective tool.
It's part of the process to see where the problem starts. IF they are kept behind the counter when they are delivered, and the problem continues, then it might be happening at Incomm, if it doesn't then the problem is fixed.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:00 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:05 am
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:28 pm

Steeling at InComm?

You mean, at production. At the production line before the scratchcard cover is poured. Because if the security scratchcard is intact, the only people that had a chance to see the numbers are at the production line.

And similar to lottery scratchcards, I'm sure security is built into the automated system.

Meaning... STAMP, POUR... really, really, really fast inside the equipment.

Anyway.. this thread has only reported tampered VR that have been pretty obvious. People that have been duped (me included) just did not pay attention, did not look at the cards before purchasing.
Theoretically yes. I would agree that they have to have controls not only about the numbers and how they are generated, but around the computer software the tracks them, and who actually has access to the seals, because if you can get your hands on original seals, then who cares about intercepting the numbers at the source? You can simply go grab them at the store and then put a brand new seal. Not saying this is what's happening, but just considering all options. You don't necessarily have to grab the numbers at production. The numbers are stored on a database so they can be tracked and the money released as people activate the pins. Unless you have good controls around the database, encrypt it and restrict access to it to a handful of people, it can be compromised. I don't know. I don't work there. As an auditor I can tell you most people assume that most companies have air tight controls and everything runs smoothly, but I can tell you most companies have weak spots and dishonest employees who know the system and are willing and able to exploit it for a profit.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:45 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:05 am
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:02 pm

Just scratch off the numbers before purchasing, cover the pin with painters tape, then unload the cards quickly.

How's that? Done problem solved. Yeah!
Exactly what I do. I carry my BB # on my phone and purchase at the store right next to my office, so I unload immediately. I scratch just enough to make sure all the numbers are there. And no, I haven't actually seen the con work live, other than online pictures. Some of them are pretty rough, but I think it's safe to assume that since it isn't a single person perpetrating this fraud all over the U.S. that some are much better than others. My parents purchased one but I didn't get to it until they were done scratching, so I don't know what it looked like before. Nowadays you can pretty much print a brand new seal and make it look brand new. So yes, I don't purchase anything unless I know the PIN is there.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:31 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:04 am
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:04 pm

Interesting.

You're saying you can purchase a thingy that allows you to make a scratchcard security seal?

Cool.

Setting aside replicating the VR design, where is the link? I'm curious about that, truly.

Thanks.
Why the need to replicate the VR design? The design seems to change every couple of months and InComm doesn't have a list on its website or a picture of what the design is supposed to look like. There's at least 3 or 4 different logos out there. If scammers are doing a pretty crude job and people are still falling for it, you can pretty much print anything that sticks and that says "Scratch here", or "Get Lucky", or "April Fools" and people will still go and buy it.

Not sure where the thingy link is. Not really versed on the art of scamming people.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:13 pm

Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:04 am
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:51 pm

Folks just gotta carefully inspect the VR cards to see if there is any bad behavior. If they find one or a group of VRs that are tainted then they need to report them to the store manager.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:32 pm

Invalid VR card

I hope someone can direct me to resolve this issue. There are several possible threads for this question.

Bought a VR at CVS 2 days ago. I go to load it tonight, put in the number and I get 'error something, invalid", try it again same thing. I look at the receipts for the 7 VRs I bought that day. All of the other receipts for the VRs that loaded match up with the last 4 numbers of the bar code on the bottom of the VR. The one that didn't load has the wrong number on the receipt, it does not match the card that won't load. I suspect the cashier typed in the wrong number but I don't know.

I called the # on the VR card and couldn't get through to a human.

What do I do? Is there a phone number to talk to a real person?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by wormtail
I hope someone can direct me to resolve this issue. There are several possible threads for this question.

Bought a VR at CVS 2 days ago. I go to load it tonight, put in the number and I get 'error something, invalid", try it again same thing. I look at the receipts for the 7 VRs I bought that day. All of the other receipts for the VRs that loaded match up with the last 4 numbers of the bar code on the bottom of the VR. The one that didn't load has the wrong number on the receipt, it does not match the card that won't load. I suspect the cashier typed in the wrong number but I don't know.

I called the # on the VR card and couldn't get through to a human.

What do I do? Is there a phone number to talk to a real person?
Ok same poster, I read back a few pages about how to get to VR CSR. She said the card is invalid. However Barclays MC has posted the charge on my Mastercard Account. Now I'm not too thrilled about calling Barclays and disputing a VR charge. I will call CVS tomorrow but not sure how they are going to help. "Sorry fella you bought it".
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:10 pm

Ok same poster, I read back a few pages about how to get to VR CSR. She said the card is invalid. However Barclays MC has posted the charge on my Mastercard Account. Now I'm not too thrilled about calling Barclays and disputing a VR charge. I will call CVS tomorrow but not sure how they are going to help. "Sorry fella you bought it".
Another thought. So they swipe the VR, they probably do not type in numbers on the barcode. So I have a receipt for a VR that was activated but I wasn't given that card? So I take home a card that was not the card that was activated? The cashier and her manager that were involved with this seemed dumb as a box of rocks so I don't think I was intentionally scammed.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:52 pm
Suspended

I went thru this a few months ago. What you need to do is call the store and see if they still have the card with the last 4 #s (Ive purchased 2 different VRs with the same last 4 #s all the other #s were different) Whay you ahve to hope for is someone tried to buy it and it didnt activate so they set it aside behind teh counter. Most likley itw as thrown out in the trash.

So call CVs CS 800# and explain what happened, They will contact Incomm and the outside company to get all the digits to the card and have Incomm trace it to see what happened to it. Hopefully it was thrown away and eventually (took me 1 month) I got a call from the mgr at the CV I brought it at, to come in bring the non-activated card my CC and DL and they Refunded me the $$$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.