Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vanilla reload broken PIN scam reports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by alik99
sorry and good luck with dispute.
I wish CV$ would take down all the old style vanillas!
I second the "good luck" and +1 the ousting of the old Vanillas.

nkedge: To ease your mind, I've had to dispute 2 because of broken PINs and InComm has been responsive and helpful. The process is a bit of a pain in the ... and time is money, but you should get new PINs from them within the time frame they give you!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by nkedge
I purchased 4 cards on January 1st while visiting family in GA and all 4 had missing PINs. I wasn't aware of the scam going on in the area or I would have been more vigilant. The cards were on a higher rack than I'm used to seeing them but I thought maybe it was just a lazy stocking job. All have the silver & green style strip. Very frustrating, but I'm hopeful that InComm will come through with a resolution -- the CSR I spoke to was very helpful and seemed genuinely concerned. This was the CVS in at the corner of Johnson Ferry & Roswell Rd in East Cobb.
Sorry to hear that. Spotted 3 tampered with today there. Told cashier to trash them. Very obvious scratching, new style VR's (which should have plasticish scratch off stuff) except has Expose Pin Here instead of scratch off for pin. Seems someone is scratching and reapplied their own scratch off label. They must be getting desperate since the redesign bc they were hastily done.

Lesson learned always carefully check EACH VR. I've been guilty of picking up a stack and just checking the first VR for a good label.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:49 am
Suspended

has anyone been able to reach a live person in the past 24 hrs, all I get is the automated system w/o any optionto speak to a live rep?Is theer another # besides the 877-429-8140?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bluerunningsocks
Sorry to hear that. Spotted 3 tampered with today there. Told cashier to trash them. Very obvious scratching, new style VR's (which should have plasticish scratch off stuff) except has Expose Pin Here instead of scratch off for pin. Seems someone is scratching and reapplied their own scratch off label. They must be getting desperate since the redesign bc they were hastily done.

Lesson learned always carefully check EACH VR. I've been guilty of picking up a stack and just checking the first VR for a good label.
This makes me very pleased all the CVS's in my area keep them behind the counter.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by craz
has anyone been able to reach a live person in the past 24 hrs, all I get is the automated system w/o any optionto speak to a live rep?Is theer another # besides the 877-429-8140?
The only other number I have associated with the company is from a dispute I filed in July 2013. You could try this number for the Dispute Department: (866) 296-3646, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:13 pm

I purchased 4 cards on January 1st while visiting family in GA and all 4 had missing PINs. I wasn't aware of the scam going on in the area or I would have been more vigilant. The cards were on a higher rack than I'm used to seeing them but I thought maybe it was just a lazy stocking job. All have the silver & green style strip. Very frustrating, but I'm hopeful that InComm will come through with a resolution -- the CSR I spoke to was very helpful and seemed genuinely concerned. This was the CVS in at the corner of Johnson Ferry & Roswell Rd in East Cobb.
I thought this location was no longer selling VRs. I got several with incomplete PIN there and went I talked to CSR he said they will no longer sell VRs.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KCKC
The only other number I have associated with the company is from a dispute I filed in July 2013. You could try this number for the Dispute Department: (866) 296-3646, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST
THANKS!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by eloraculo
I thought this location was no longer selling VRs. I got several with incomplete PIN there and went I talked to CSR he said they will no longer sell VRs.
The ones I saw were the last 3 on the rack. Don't know if they are going to restock or not. I've always had good luck with that location, first time I've seen any VR tampered with there.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by eloraculo
Well, they had several on Jan 1st when I went. Whoever is responsible is probably clever enough to know that people would be attempting to purchase once the new year started.

In other news, InComm came through 100% and gave me new PINs for the tampered cards in the exact time frame specified. It was a bit of a pain to deal with, but the resolution came quickly and satisfactorily. Very relieved! ^
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by craz
While dealing with my tampered PINs, I found the quickest way to a rep is to press 2 to reload a card, 1 to confirm, then press # when prompted for the card. After 3 times it will ask you to press 1 for a representative.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:15 pm

While dealing with my tampered PINs, I found the quickest way to a rep is to press 2 to reload a card, 1 to confirm, then press # when prompted for the card. After 3 times it will ask you to press 1 for a representative.
Amen and hallelujah nkedge! Thanks for posting that tip. I just got back from CVS with 2 $500 VR's an hour ago. Scratched them off and no PIN underneath!

Used your trick to get customer service on the phone, and the girl loaded them to my Bluebird account while I was on the phone with her. She had to put me on hold, etc.. because she said her computer was being really slow, but she took care of it in a 10, maybe 15, minute phone call.

That trick to get a rep on the phone should really be on a wikipost. It took me half an hour to figure out how to get one on the phone before I found this post. And the whole time I'm worrried, the scammers are gonna activate the PIN while I'm trying to figure out how to talk to someone!

Really though, I don't know if this was a compromised reload card or if I scratched too hard and rubbed the number off myself. I used the large blade on a swiss army knife. I didn't rub really hard, but I'm just not sure if the weight of the blade also rubbed off the numbers or not...
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by levander
Amen and hallelujah nkedge! Thanks for posting that tip. I just got back from CVS with 2 $500 VR's an hour ago. Scratched them off and no PIN underneath!

Used your trick to get customer service on the phone, and the girl loaded them to my Bluebird account while I was on the phone with her. She had to put me on hold, etc.. because she said her computer was being really slow, but she took care of it in a 10, maybe 15, minute phone call.

That trick to get a rep on the phone should really be on a wikipost. It took me half an hour to figure out how to get one on the phone before I found this post. And the whole time I'm worrried, the scammers are gonna activate the PIN while I'm trying to figure out how to talk to someone!

Really though, I don't know if this was a compromised reload card or if I scratched too hard and rubbed the number off myself. I used the large blade on a swiss army knife. I didn't rub really hard, but I'm just not sure if the weight of the blade also rubbed off the numbers or not...
New style VR?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by levander

Never use a knife on a scratch off strip. Use a coin like a nickel or a quarter next time.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: DL, SPG, HH,
Folks in Atlanta, I'm noticing a new trend (thankfully, though InComm's still not doing much).
Almost all CVS I visit are holding their cards behind the counter now. I found some on a rack, took them to the register, the cashier said I didn't want to buy those, and pulled replacements out from behind the register. He said there's been too much fraud, and all their VRs are held behind the register. The ones I brought up were likely fraudulent.

Also, some CVS locations have taken down the sign saying they allow GC purchase with CC (and they mean it).
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by agoogilydoogily
Folks in Atlanta, I'm noticing a new trend (thankfully, though InComm's still not doing much).
Almost all CVS I visit are holding their cards behind the counter now. I found some on a rack, took them to the register, the cashier said I didn't want to buy those, and pulled replacements out from behind the register. He said there's been too much fraud, and all their VRs are held behind the register. The ones I brought up were likely fraudulent.
All the stores up here in Wisconsin do this too. Less worrying about PIN scams. The stores elsewhere I travel don't do this yet in Chicago or DC. In DC they treat you with extreme suspicion, so I much prefer the friendly behind the counter version.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.