Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hmspector
Has anyone had an issue trying to by a VR with a reloadable prepaid Amex card? i tried runnning it through as credit and as debit, but no luck.

thanks.
YMMV by location
Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
Originally Posted by nomorecoach
Okay. I will let it go and stick with the other stores. Thank you for your valuable input.
Attaboy, nomorecoach. I can attest from personal experience that getting the manager involved runs the risk of getting things shut down for good.

I've been buying reloads with cc for a while at one particular store, no problems. Then one day, one particular cashier says "you got cash for these, honey?" I say, no, it's ok, I've bought plenty with a credit card, it'll go through. She says, honey, you ain't supposed to be buying these with no credit card. Just as I'm about to tell her never mind, I'll put them back (and play the long game, by just coming back another day when she's not on duty), she hollers across several aisles: Hey Steve, get over here! I say no no no, that's OK, I'll just move on. And she says, no, just wait, I'll get Steve the manager over here and he'll prove it to you. Steve saunters over, and cashier lady with the attitude says, this guy wants to use a credit card to put $500 on ALL FOUR of these...that ain't right is it? See how it says cash only right there on the card? Steve says yep that looks right...what are you trying to do with these anyway, we're trying to prevent fraud here.

Next thing I know, every cashier in the store has now been "trained" not to accept credit cards.

I've learned my lesson.
I actually had the opposite happen to me, which is why I asked about confronting the stubborn manager. In one store where it's allowed, the cashier called the manager after the cashier had initially stated that credit cards were not accepted. I made my case, and the cashier asked the manager. The manager said if the register accepts it, then it's okay.

But, I will just stick with the stores that allow the credit purchase and not push the issue if a rogue cashier gives me a hard time.

Last edited by nomorecoach; Dec 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by ngupta
phant, EWRfflyer:

Did you use your regular CC to purchase VR at CVS? I used my prepaid VISA and wondering if this is a common factor in all of ours transaction.

Please confirm.
I used a credit card. Incomm customer service said that the system used by CVS to activate purchased gift cards was having technical issues ... it wasn't news to the Incomm rep who I spoke with, she was aware of the issue prior to my call and mentioned that a notice was circulated within Incomm earlier this afternoon among the customer service reps about the problem.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the CVS employees as well as the store manager who I dealt with once the deactivation issue became apparent had no idea that this was a problem on the backend of their system.

Last edited by phant; Dec 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
My CVS is starting to act funny about selling me VR. Today cashier said"sorry but we can't take CC for these" and I said "you did yesterday" and then he said "OK" He is the same guy that sold me 4 earlier this week.
lol. Do you plan to only use this particular cashier from this point forward? It may be a good idea to stick with the ones you know. I think I'll strike up conversations with the cashiers that allow the purchases. Just like the banks: it's KYC - Know Your Cashier. lol

Last edited by nomorecoach; Dec 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 6:07 pm

Vr's at cvs seem to be getting more and more difficult to locate in the NYC & surrounding boroughs / nj areas. I have one location but would like to share via pm if anyone else has a source in the area they would like to share with me as well. I check a few in the area regularly, and if they have any I can give updates. Hopefully someone else can do the same for an area not too far away. NYC vr hunting club?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 6:39 pm
Suspended

I get an error saying "Card is Deactivated".

24hr on my receipt it says

Last edited by TroyMcClure; Dec 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Funny, for the very 1st time today, it is giving me "Card Deactivated" error and also I have noticed in the CVS receipt "takes 24

Has anyone seen or experience this?
Yes, today, but NOT with a VRN. Just with a couple of other gift cards from the same stack which I bought for relatives as Christmas presents, and a $10 Facebook credits I bought for myself to renew my Words With Friends word-o-meter.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Attaboy, nomorecoach. I can attest from personal experience that getting the manager involved runs the risk of getting things shut down for good.

I've been buying reloads with cc for a while at one particular store, no problems. Then one day, one particular cashier says "you got cash for these, honey?" I say, no, it's ok, I've bought plenty with a credit card, it'll go through. She says, honey, you ain't supposed to be buying these with no credit card. Just as I'm about to tell her never mind, I'll put them back (and play the long game, by just coming back another day when she's not on duty), she hollers across several aisles: Hey Steve, get over here! I say no no no, that's OK, I'll just move on. And she says, no, just wait, I'll get Steve the manager over here and he'll prove it to you. Steve saunters over, and cashier lady with the attitude says, this guy wants to use a credit card to put $500 on ALL FOUR of these...that ain't right is it? See how it says cash only right there on the card? Steve says yep that looks right...what are you trying to do with these anyway, we're trying to prevent fraud here.

Next thing I know, every cashier in the store has now been "trained" not to accept credit cards.

I've learned my lesson.
Damn good lesson for us all! Loved the way you told your story.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just got the same "Card is deactivated" error msg today. It was about 5 hours after purchase. Never had a problem before. I will try again tomorrow...
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by metoo

Does anyone know if you can pay bill for upcoming date? Today, can I request for a bill to be paid in January 2013?
Have you gone online and tried it? Won't you have internet access while traveling? Just put in your request 7 or 8 days ahead of time and you'll be fine.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:09 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I'm having the same situation:

I have been doing VR from CVS for at least 2 months now and never had to wait to load into my BB. Meaning buy it and go home load the $ in BB using vanillareloadDOTcom.

Funny, for the very 1st time today, it is giving me "Card Deactivated" error and also I have noticed in the CVS receipt "takes 24 hrs. to activate". I have never seen this in CVS receipt before.

I just did one 2 days back without any issues.

I am going to wait for 24 hrs. and if it does not work, I am heading to CVS to dispute this.

Has anyone seen or experience this?
Purchased 2 VR at CVS at around 1pm today. The receipt has the "will be activated within 24 hours" note which I've never seen before.

When I tried to load, I got the "card deactivated 4002" message. I initially thought it was my Bluebird which had been deactivated which gave me a bit of a panic.

Receipt from CVS has the last 4 digits from the VR card and shows taht both were activated.

Anita
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Just got the same "Card is deactivated" error msg today. It was about 5 hours after purchase. Never had a problem before. I will try again tomorrow...
I bought an Amazon gift card at Staples for 5x with my Ink card and it took 12 hours to clear. I was worried.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does that have to do with my question? If you have nothing pertinent to add, don't reply. Take your somewhere else.
I see your question has been answered, and the majority sees the way I see, albeit not the answer you want.

If you want to upset the apple cart, is not just you being affected.

I actually had the opposite happen to me, which is why I asked about confronting the stubborn manager. In one store where it's allowed, the cashier called the manager after the cashier had initially stated that credit cards were not accepted. I made my case, and the cashier asked the manager. The manager said if the register accepts it, then it's okay.

But, I will just stick with the stores that allow the credit purchase and not push the issue if a rogue cashier gives me a hard time.
That is the KEY. The manager has the power to decide how things are run in HIS store. As your own experience illustrates - if the manager is a casual type, he would let the register to show whether it works or not. (I had 2 managers handled matter this way when the cashiers were all too flustered about using CC to buy cash equivalent cards, including the regular Visa or AMEX and called for approval from the managers.)

When a manager told you NO. You just move on, not to argue with him / her because you will not win. Also dont take the face value of what a store manager tells you - if he does not want to let you, he might make up some excuse to brush you off. Sure you can take it up with him, to his district manager... But as others point out, you run a much higher risk of getting everything shut down. Learn the art to play the long game.

On top of that, a merchant has the right to refuse service to a customer if it can prove there is no discrimination as prohibited by the law. Just keep this in mind.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
I am short $100 after my 5k limit for the month. Need to make mortgage payment next month while traveling so need to have money available for Pay Bill.

Does anyone know if you can pay bill for upcoming date? Today, can I request for a bill to be paid in January 2013?
I do not see that function. I do not see future transfer ability on BB side either.

On the other hand if your linked checking is from your bank's side, you can schedule future transfer.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Also dont take the face value of what a store manager tells you - if he does not want to let you, he might make up some excuse to brush you off. Sure you can take it up with him, to his district manager...
Most important advice. A Manager told me in one of my harvesting locations "Incomm doesn't allow CCs".

Everyone, please resist the urge to bring any attention to yourself or the VRs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.