Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
It can go either way. Ive run into cases where you can buy x at a store and then one day a cashier sets a limit or otherwise changes what you are used to. Ive told them i had done this here before and sometimes theyve said oh ok then ill try it and when it works they now know and theres no further problems.

Ive also told them i have done this here before and they say well you werent supposed to and then i just agree and leave. Of course if you go back to that store and that clerk is not working, it does work of course.

Last year i took a class and there were some college students as well as big oafs like me in it. One bitter and gabby college girl always chatted with another there about she works at staples pt and all the stuff the dumb customers try to pull. She said "nothing gets by me. I do more than the policies or more than any lax rules and i stop everything." As id overhear her saying such things i realized i was witnessing a cardinal in training. She enjoyed it! shed say "customers may get away with things in my store but not at my register! i let nothing go thru..."

My blood would boil as i listened, but i was surprisingly silient over all things gc around her about any of what we do eventhough i often wanted to confront. i never did though, but looking back i should have called in my cousins Nunzio and Sal and had them help make da guyl dissapeah. but i stayed quiet in this class and at the time i was doing FAR, gcs, and more. She would light up when shed tell some story to her friend about how she got some customer all up in arms about not letting him buy a gc with a gc and that she thought everything was a scam. For those in here who are my age (47) she would be like the girl version of Mr. Hand from Fast Times At Ridgemont High, who thought everyone was on drugs lol

There are just some people who want to stop things. Period.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:15 am

There are a lot of CVSs out there. Find one that makes things easy. I have a CVS on my way home from work that works well. In and out with no issues. There is another CVS near my supermarket that is crazy busy and purchasing a VR there is a hassle.

If there is only one CVS near to you, try going at another time. Weekday staff, evening staff, weekend staff are all probably different.

I am trying to keep this deal going. Stay under the radar.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:29 am

Is it $5000 of Reload per calendar month or statement month?

Also, does the transfer from your own checking to Bluebird count as the $5000 per month limit?

TIA
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:43 am

I think it's statement month and i believe the transfer from checking account does count

Originally Posted by metoo

Also, does the transfer from your own checking to Bluebird count as the $5000 per month limit?

TIA
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by UpstatePoints
There are a lot of CVSs out there. Find one that makes things easy. I have a CVS on my way home from work that works well. In and out with no issues. There is another CVS near my supermarket that is crazy busy and purchasing a VR there is a hassle.

If there is only one CVS near to you, try going at another time. Weekday staff, evening staff, weekend staff are all probably different.

I am trying to keep this deal going. Stay under the radar.
All my area cvs stores say theres a $1k limit pp pd
One doesnt have this limit but even there i just get $1k 99% of the time
I went to one cvs at 8 and got beans and then did decide to visit it again 9-10 hrs later for something else and happened to notice my morning clerk was still working. Dayum thats a long day
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just my intuition, but it seems like a bad idea to try and drop more money in a single transaction than the cashier likely makes in a month
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Michael Belisle
I think it's statement month and i believe the transfer from checking account does count
Answered my own question as I needed to know which card to reload. BB CSR said 5k reload per calendar month. Transfer from checking account to BB is not included in the 5k per month.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:54 am

ok. I just answered after looking at my own statement and saw that they put all deposits on it.

Answered my own question as I needed to know which card to reload. BB CSR said 5k reload per calendar month. Transfer from checking account to BB is not included in the 5k per month.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:32 am

Having been away for a week, I spent about the last 45 minutes to 1 hour getting caught up reading this thread, enjoying reading everyone's posts and comments.

One of the themes I found interesting was the cost in time of hunting for reload cards. I'm surprised no one mentions the cost in time in trying to stay current on this thread.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:02 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by JoeJetplane
Having been away for a week, I spent about the last 45 minutes to 1 hour getting caught up reading this thread, enjoying reading everyone's posts and comments.

One of the themes I found interesting was the cost in time of hunting for reload cards. I'm surprised no one mentions the cost in time in trying to stay current on this thread.
I think as with anything... you have to invest your time if you want it to be successful. Sure you invest time reading this forum or going out and finding places that will allow you to buy VR's with a credit card... but in the long run getting the "return" of using those points earned to fly in F or stay in a dream hotel at a destination you've always wanted to go to make it worth it... At least for me
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by member7777
I like doing the amex-gift card-vanilla reload-bluebird-checking account-balance transfer (0$ no fee) loop myself.....
I have been paying other credit cards off via BB, just not to have a full loop via Amex. There is no upside to paying off your Amex from BB if you have other CC bills that BB can pay.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
To help create a picture of an actual Bluebird card user, I made an in-store purchase with my BB card on Tuesday for $3.99. The amount has come out of my available balance on BB, but today, 4 days later, the transaction still hasn't appeared.

Hmm.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure
today is day 5, they said there is a glitch and it should be there on monday.
Who is they? Your bank or bb?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by nomorecoach
There are several CVS stores in my area that occasionally have the reloads in stock. I have never been denied a credit card purchase, but there are only a few cards on the rack at a time, if any. But, there is one particular store where the manager won't allow the purchase of reloads with a credit card even though the sign on the prepaid rack states that credit cards are permissible. That store probably has at least fifty reloads on the rack for the obvious reason - the manager refuses to allow credit card purchases. The manager told me that he was specifically trained to not allow the purchase of reloads with a credit card. I don't see how that's possible when managers from other stores in the area have explicitly allowed it.

How would you handle this? Do I call the manager out and demand that he prove to me the transaction wouldn't go through the register with a credit card? Or just let it go and continue to scout the other stores?
Move on to another store.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:08 pm

TIA
Why would you transfer from checking to BB???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.