Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: SPG, Chase Sapphire, AA, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club, US Bank Flexperks, UA Mileage Plus
my CVS has tons...on the very bottom row of the prepaid card display...no questions asked when I loaded with 2 diff. CCs...FINALLY... ! Am meeting a spend, otherwise probably won't bother with BB in the future unless another great deal comes along for more pts.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yes, pulling from BB does not work. Very annoying to me, I've always paid my bills that way from my checking accounts. I actually just put in a payment for my Amex card from BB, BB says it will deliver on Monday.
Thanks for the kind reply. I've a majority of the posts in this thread but must have missed that fact!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:35 pm
Suspended

stoopid question: can you link a checking account to bb? is it under subaccts?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Cardinal (Donna) Fang asked me the same question in my Amex Financial Review (AMEX FR) last year "Why you want to use gift card to buy a gift card? Next words out of her mouth "You have to stop doing that."

It is all nonsense and stupidity until The Spanish Inquisition ties you to a stake and goes looking for matches.

Originally Posted by emptiness
the tall busty guy at target acted so smart when i went to load $1k to my target amex prepaid card. Asked for ID multiple times even I already showed him, he didn't even know how to do it. says why you want to use gift card on gift card, blah blah, I told him don't tell me any nonsense and do what I asked you to do, the manager came and he helped me load. Told the guy, i will call to complain about his nonsense and stupidity.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
Anyone knows a CVS in the Chicagoland area that carries Vanilla?

PM me, if you must.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
I don't think California CVS have them. I checked a few in socal without any luck.
Jeez Louise. I live in what is euphemistically called the "Inland Empire" (inland from Los Angeles). This area is usually a bit, ahem, behind the times. But I've purchased VR's at 3 different CVS locations in my area within the past 7-10 days. Lots of VRs on the rack at CVS stores out here.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by EL3V3N
stoopid question: can you link a checking account to bb? is it under subaccts?
Click on "Deposit Money" and then "add new funding source"
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
I don't think California CVS have them. I checked a few in socal without any luck.
Not true. Found some in SoCal 30 min ago.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: All of Them
Along the lines of this thread, having trouble finding a local store to let me use gift cards I have from another miles adventure to buy VR. 3 local walgreens and 3 local 7/11's all say cash only. No CVS in washington state, best ideas?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:09 pm

Are you guys having any luck with the two-step OD->AmexGC->CVS->Bean method? My local CVS has a good bean field and I have been able to buy them directly with a CC, however when I tried to use a GC the terminal kept saying "Alternate payment method required". I am using the regular gold colored AmexGC... maybe I got the wrong thing?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LakeCentralFlyer
Are you guys having any luck with the two-step OD->AmexGC->CVS->Bean method? My local CVS has a good bean field and I have been able to buy them directly with a CC, however when I tried to use a GC the terminal kept saying "Alternate payment method required". I am using the regular gold colored AmexGC... maybe I got the wrong thing?
Have you tried a visa gc?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
many CVSs will frown upon the use of a GC to pay for another GC or any PP (like Beans)/

Some will allow some wont. I used to take Amex ones in that I had gotten from big crumbs and after some time of doing it I got hassled by the manager. I posted about this long ago and no one believed me... they figured it was just me. Now many here will see how some CVSs will not like it, whereas some may still allow it. Good luck!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Isn't the purchase fee for Visa GC less than Amex GC?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:56 pm

I haven't tried a Visa GC. This was my first try so now I've got a $500 Amex GC to use, which isn't a big deal but I'd rather not keep buying GCs unless I can get beans from them.

There weren't any issues with the actual CVS employees as I was swiping the card myself through the terminal on the counter. It just wouldn't take the AmexGC. The strange thing is after it wouldn't take the AmexGC I paid for the first bean with a Chase CC and it worked fine, then I tried to buy another bean with the exact same card and the terminal gave the "Alternate Payment Method Required" message again. The manager came over and tried to do it as well and it would no longer take my Chase CC to buy the other bean so I left with just the first one.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:58 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
The manager at local Walgreens tried swiping my card but it didn't go through also. She actually thought I could pay for those with CC but the computer didn't let it go through. :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.