Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by gm9928
Sunday, 10:30 a.m. EST: The manager at my local reliable OD broke the bad news to me. He said, "We got the word yesterday."

Sad weekend. Oh well, on to the next thing.......
Don't leave us hanging. What "word" did he get?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by scoobaboy
At least now I can stop trying to explain to my wife why we had to take out this card in order to purchase this other card, that was used to load this other card, which was used to pay off the first card, in order to earn points with this program, which were used to transfer to this other program. I don't know why she never understood.

ha! so true ^
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by goAsia
Oh man....I haven't had a laugh like that in a long time. I cried. I literally cried.

People, if you have 3 minutes to spare watch this. If you don't have 3 minutes to spare reevaluate your life and then watch this.
Agreed! The pleasure of that video almost exceeded the pain of reading this thread. Almost.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by yoyo
If you use them @ costco stick with costco cash cards. They are free (no fee) @costco.com.
yeah and right now you can make a bundle if you have a costco membership and a bunch of amex cards... but that's another story.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:08 am

Not so fast . . . I just visited an Office Depot in Fargo, ND with an entire display dedicated to new Vanilla Reloads, maybe 500 cards. According to the manager this will be rolled out nationally, as soon as all existing Vanilla Reloads go in the wood chipper.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Made some purchases at OD yesterday and the associate (mgr) wound up swiping my card 3x.....now I have 3 holds eating up most of my available credit. Let's just hope they settle properly.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Because vanilla visa can't be used at costco. I'm one of those people that actually USES these cards and doesn't just cash them out.
You can use them on Costco.com to purchase Costco Cash cards for no fee.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: spg gold
One of the bloggers told her readers not to buy too many beans because Chase might get mad. However, in the next paragraph she said but it's okay to lie and tell them you have a business because you went to a garage sale.And please use my links!
These bloggers are paid very well for what they do, and all this "free" advice is influenced by Links.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, AA, Delta, Southwest CP, Citi Prestige, MLife Platinum
OMG, that is one of the funniest videos I have ever seen. I cried literally too. I loved the part whre he says "Looks like I'll have to use my SPG Amex everywhere now."
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
Only one OD in the area still had any, and I only found 2 (which were behind a PrePaid AMEX, not in the normal Vanilla Reload stock). The manager came out and said that these were no longer being sold because Chase knew what everyone was up to and got OD to stop selling these. There were 2 left and he let me buy them at $200 each, but that was it.

I thought I'd inject some humor into this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R5cEEqXpk
Originally Posted by goAsia
Oh man....I haven't had a laugh like that in a long time. I cried. I literally cried.

People, if you have 3 minutes to spare watch this. If you don't have 3 minutes to spare reevaluate your life and then watch this.
+1. Tears coming out of my eyes laughing!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ricohitman
I'll probably end up doing that anyway. Will report back!
ricohitman - Just sent you a PM. Thanks again!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:43 am

went to two od's yesterday. full racks. got 5k at each. returned this morning. first one still had them. picked up another 5k. second one were pulled.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by st.exupery
Not so fast . . . I just visited an Office Depot in Fargo, ND with an entire display dedicated to new Vanilla Reloads, maybe 500 cards. According to the manager this will be rolled out nationally, as soon as all existing Vanilla Reloads go in the wood chipper.
Were you able to purchase these cards????
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:52 am

on the bright side, i found a cvs w/ Vanillas. saw a tag that said 10/17 which i assume was the first day they had them. bought one w/ my credit card w/o any hiccups.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by freeflyin
You can use them on Costco.com to purchase Costco Cash cards for no fee.
If you want Costco Cash cards, why not just charge those on your amex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.