Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wells Fargo Prepaid Cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Im closing my wells fargo card. I dont even think its worth it. I can see this backlashing pretty bad and I like my chase accounts to be open. Good luck all. Treat lightly.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Im closing my wells fargo card. I dont even think its worth it. I can see this backlashing pretty bad and I like my chase accounts to be open. Good luck all. Treat lightly.
If/when the BL starts it will be to late for many here.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:13 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I'm out

i ordered the card but won't activate.

no citi
no b of a
Chase too risky

Barclays or us bank. nah I'm out
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:41 am
Suspended

I tried to do money order for $595 today but it got declined even though I have $1500 balance on it. Is money order transaction separate from atm withdrawal? I withdrew 2 $500 from WF atm 2 weeks ago. Is it because of that?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
i ordered the card but won't activate.

no citi
no b of a
Chase too risky

Barclays or us bank. nah I'm out
Hi FTG,

Do you (or anyone else) think even 500-1000 a month on chase is too risky?

Could be useful for small atm amounts.....?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone actually been dinged by Chase yet, or is it just fear of the unknown?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I've done 2 loads, one with USB Olympics card, the other with a C non-UR card. Both posted as purchases. Statements haven't closed yet so can't speak in regards to points.

Both purchases posted as "WF Prepaid card"

I wonder why the sudden urge to retreat. Every hiccup that people have had can be easily explained as they hit one of several limits on this card when loading (on either CC side or WF side) or unloading (on WF side).
Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:52 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I wouldn't think that $500-$1000 would set off any alarms but who knows. I'm retreating for the time being. When the points start to post and it is been going on for a while I may jump in, or somebody may have killed it already by then. I just value the Chase relationship too highly to risk it and I wouldn't be doing just $500-$1k per month.

Originally Posted by adlibitum
Hi FTG,

Do you (or anyone else) think even 500-1000 a month on chase is too risky?

Could be useful for small atm amounts.....?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
I wouldn't think that $500-$1000 would set off any alarms but who knows. I'm retreating for the time being. When the points start to post and it is been going on for a while I may jump in, or somebody may have killed it already by then. I just value the Chase relationship too highly to risk it and I wouldn't be doing just $500-$1k per month.
Totally agree. buying gift cards from the stores is much more safer, even though it may cost extra money.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: A Few Here, A Few There
Originally Posted by metoo
How long does it take to receive the card after you sign up online?
Will Chase Ink or Sapphire (not preferred) be charged as purchase and not cash advance?
I would like to start with $2k or $2500 for the lst reload.
Took about a week to receive mine. Chase cards seem to post as purchase from what everyone is saying. I recently obtained the the C WN and posted my initial load of 1k as a "sale - wellsfargo prepaidcard".

As another datapoint, I also was not charged a load fee.

I've since made two Wells ATM withdrawals for $500 each one day after the other with no problem (and no fee), deposited the cash and payed the balance back off.

I've also made some other small purchases for good measure and payed those off as well.

This was done to meet a minimum spend and I'm in it with no fees so far. My statement should close in the next week so I will report back if the points have posted. Assuming they do, I'll give another go with a different card next month albeit with a different odd amount.

This may be too high profile for regular use since it posts as an actual prepaid card, but seems to work ok to help meet minimum spends. Like anything in this game, just don't overdo it. ^
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: AS 100K
Purchasing at $1500 increments about once every 2-3 weeks on my WF Prepaid card with a Chase card. Honestly, I'm not worried because I funnel almost all of my spend through this card anyway. So, the money spent on the prepaid card shouldn't raise enough red flags for them to shut me down.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:44 am

I cancelled mine as well, I was just having too many issues with loading and using the car in general. For me, not worth the headache.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by fangtl
I cancelled mine as well, I was just having too many issues with loading and using the car in general. For me, not worth the headache.
I agree and even though they filled out an escalation form for me 16 days ago and told me someone would call me in 5-7 business days (They now claim it is 7-10 B days) it has been 12 and NOONE has called me.
I spent an hour on the phone trying to explain and all they told me is they didn't know why my account was shutdown by the F dept but they would fill out an escalation.

I laughed and said you did 16 days ago but they said this is for a different problem. I asked then what is the result of the first escalation and the guy said NO Idea. I think I have seen every Red error message in the English language from them but my SO's card works fine so far LOL
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
I wonder why the sudden urge to retreat.
Originally Posted by amolkold
I've done 2 loads...Both purchases posted as "WF Prepaid card"
That's why I decided to stop for now and let others be canaries in the coal mine.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In an effort to not raise too many red flags with repetitive ATM withdrawals, I'd like to work the cash-back at a retail store angle.

Can anyone give me a hint as to the best stores for this - the ones with the highest limits? Whole Foods does $100, which is nice, but Trader Joe's only does $50. Anyone know of a store that goes into the multiple hundreds?

As you can see, I'm new to the debit card world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.