Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting spending up without the Mint

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by xp0
But more importantly yes, I think it is pretty much common sense to know that there are other websites out there, much more private then this one, discussing the same exact things. It's just the way evolution works. Was FT that "secret" place maybe 5-10 years ago? I am sure it was. Now that a million people come here, its time for the old folks to move some place new. I think the same thing could be said for just about another. A lot of financial forums, online piracy, essentially anything "underground" that might give someone some sort of advantage has their own world outside of whatever "everyone" can read. Just the way the world works.

The questions is... do you know the secret knock to get the doors to open.
Knock knock
Pause
Knock once hard
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:20 pm
xp0

Who is it?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: Several dozen
What is this - The Safe House in Milwaukee?

http://www.safe-house.com/

Originally Posted by xp0
Who is it?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
well like I said... if you post some set of cool ideas in here now and then, someone who is running such a secret forum may invite you to join like minded souls.

If you don't give up deals but speak the speak, this may occur as well.

Or, if you are known for some set of huge scores and big deals or how you ran with them, this could get you going.

or you could invite people to a forum you created on your own.

The hope is that things mesh and continue to do so, for if they do not, it's bad news all around.

It's a bit like the time we started a ski house with about 10-12 people in VT. We knew some well and others were new. We had some rules--one was no dogs. It was a rental house and also some people in on it were allergic. But this one guy brought his pups all the time. They were cute but disruptive. Eventually we had to kick him out. Offered all his money back but asked him to leave. Couple weeks later he let the dogs run around in some back woodsman's back yard and they scared a little girl. So the woodsman shot the dogs and that was that. the guy came after us for this. It was bad news all around. All this just to enjoy skiing. lol

Now you can get ski passes with CCs and even buy gift cards to make spend. um, to stay on topic that is
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:45 pm
xp0

Poor dogs. Even worse is I would have to "officially" stop using my dogs credit cards to buy things since they arent real anymore... That would be sad during SBS's and other random events that might get me credit for using them
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
That's not bad. Fry's always has a table full of that stuff. 'free after rebate'. If the tax is covered I'm going to start running up some decent spent that way. Thanks!
What do you mean "if the tax is covered"? Tax on my online purchases always run >5%. How do you get around that?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xp0
Poor dogs. Even worse is I would have to "officially" stop using my dogs credit cards to buy things since they arent real anymore... That would be sad during SBS's and other random events that might get me credit for using them
yah AMEX asking for SSNs now--cant use me kids or pets anymore... bummer eh?

well, I guess like I said, there's always dental work. Like plumbing, it will always be needed. Maybe I should find a way to pre pay at a discount lol
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:13 pm

OK, this has been an interesting side conversation about secret forums and clubs, but all I was asking was how to keep tabs on Free After Rebate (FAR) offers at Staples and elsewhere. These are generally public offers so I don't think there needs to be anything secretive about it. Someone must keep an up to date list somewhere or blog the offers when they come out...
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:19 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
yah AMEX asking for SSNs now--cant use me kids or pets anymore... bummer eh?

well, I guess like I said, there's always dental work. Like plumbing, it will always be needed. Maybe I should find a way to pre pay at a discount lol
Yeah it sucks they are asking for SSN's now but at least they didnt during the mint... I have a slew of "grandfathered" cards perhaps? Or maybe they didnt get to me yet? Or maybe they will after I hit the "Submit Reply" button... *shrugs*

Either way... my stack of cards is pretty large
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:20 pm
xp0

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
OK, this has been an interesting side conversation about secret forums and clubs, but all I was asking was how to keep tabs on Free After Rebate (FAR) offers at Staples and elsewhere. These are generally public offers so I don't think there needs to be anything secretive about it. Someone must keep an up to date list somewhere or blog the offers when they come out...
I know SD and FW always have FAR threads going
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
ohhh lol when you had said FAR offers up above I just thought you were highlighting the word FAR like far off or way out there gigs... I had no idea that was an acronym for something! As for Staples, everything I have seen or gleaned has been found in here, and I have yet to try any of it, although maybe I will soon to get more UR points. It's just that it seems like one needs to shift energies to devote the time and mindset to doing everything involved. I think that's a worthy cause but for me it's like, well, does anyone remember what it was like to actually say, "Ok tonight I'll sit down and try to actually program the VCR clock?"

I know not of anything special with Staples... maybe one has to just go thru manually finding everything. No clue. But good luck with it!

MM
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:28 pm
xp0

I think if you want to delve into the realm of FAR software ... you need to start going to other forums. There are ones out there for that kind of stuff, like I mentioned above. Similarly you aren't going to start talking about extreme coupon'ing here ... you go to a different forum for that also

Some of the spending requirements/deals/etc might overlap and work well with each other though... I guess its up to the MODs where to draw the line *shrugs*
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:46 pm

Thanks. LOL re: FAR.
I'll see if FW or SD have specific FAR threads.

FW = Fat Wallet
SD = SlickDeals
FAR = Free After Rebate

LOL = ...
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by MJLouise
That's not bad. Fry's always has a table full of that stuff. 'free after rebate'. If the tax is covered I'm going to start running up some decent spent that way. Thanks!
What do you mean "if the tax is covered"? Tax on my online purchases always run >5%. How do you get around that?
I need to get up there and check but I think the purchase price on some of them was slightly less than the rebate. I foolishly never thought of it for CC spend so I didn't look too closely. For 5% I could just use square or something.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:12 pm
xp0

I need to get up there and check but I think the purchase price on some of them was slightly less than the rebate. I foolishly never thought of it for CC spend so I didn't look too closely. For 5% I could just use square or something.
Yeah Square for 2.75% is better then paying tax because it is instant and there is no chance of a a rebate not working. I guess if you had to pay taxes and could actually sell the FAR software for enough to cover taxes + selling fee's it isnt that bad but it is still a lot of work and still chances that rebates wont go through, sales wont happen, etc. Not to mention the fact you are doing all of this for what ... $200-300 in software a month? I am sure some rebates have a 1-2 household limit ... sorry, not worth it. I will eat the 2.75% on 300 which is cheaper then what gas would be to drive back and forth, time filling out the rebates, etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.