Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:41 pm

"Uhh sweetie, you weren't supposed to find that. I have to take it back to Costco now to earn my free miles."
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Youz meant to say "business plan?" Weez don't know of any schemes and, if weez did, weez would deny it. Weez legitimate businesspeoples compared to dem scum drug pushers at Pfizer and GlaxoSmithKline...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/bu...bery.html?_r=0

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ry-allegations

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Not too useful as a "scheme", but convenient.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:27 am

I believe this has been around for a while. IMO, it's really not worth it since you're doing this all under your membership account. Plus, I don't want to risk my Toiler-Paper-Paper-Towel buying ability.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
If you have no shame, you can do this at many stores. Buy on credit card and return for cash.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Popcorn buttered, feet up. Let us know how those diamond rings work out.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
yep, been there, done that, I got a total of $9.95 + tax back in cash. I felt like I stuck it to the man!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
This is old news, same issue exists at Sam's Club with Amex.

Now the day that someone buys a car through Costco Auto program with a credit card, and returns it for cash, I'll be impressed.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: Several dozen
Too easy - make that returns the car after doing a full day of gift card runs.

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
This is old news, same issue exists at Sam's Club with Amex.

Now the day that someone buys a car through Costco Auto program with a credit card, and returns it for cash, I'll be impressed.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by rambro
This has always been in place. I believe there's an upper level cap on what they will return to you in cash. I do not know what it is though, but don't expect to get $10k in cash back. Also, Costco tracks EVERYTHING, so don't try to push it with them.
All correct ^
Originally Posted by TAWS
If you have no shame, you can do this at many stores. Buy on credit card and return for cash.
Doubtful....all transactions will be linked to your membership....
Old Jul 17, 2013, 3:29 pm

OMG! Delete this post now or everybody will do it and it will go away. OMFG!!1!1!!eleven!!!!
:'panic:
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:09 pm

No one with a decent POS system will do that. Costco is an exception only because of their policy of allowing items bought on line to a local store.

The receipt is barcoded and once scanned, the refund goes back on the credit card that you used to make the purchase. Credit card merchant services fees run 1.5% to 3%, plus a service fee that can be up to a dollar (typically much less). If you return a $100 item that means it would cost the retailer $2-$3 in merchant services fees. Ain't happening.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
wasnt the whole diamond ring thing the HIGC of 2012
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Doesn't costco accept debit cards too?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
yep, been there, done that, I got a total of $9.95 + tax back in cash. I felt like I stuck it to the man!
Costco isn't "the man." They're one of the good ones: an ethical company that tries to do good and treats their employees like human beings instead of cattle, like Walmart/Sam's Club.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ThreeOneSeven
Costco isn't "the man." They're one of the good ones: an ethical company that tries to do good and treats their employees like human beings instead of cattle, like Walmart/Sam's Club.
I beg to differ. Costco employees are one of the worst. Although, their behaviour and civility has improved in the past year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.