Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by mrpickles
Oh please! Homeless people are not having parties and don't need party platters. Why don't you take some of your hotel points and give them a room for the night.

Oh please, what? Throwing away perfectly edible food, whether directly or indirectly, is simply not acceptable. Seriously, what kind of world are we living in? That food could have done some good for many people who needed it. In this case, it wasn't that the food was spoiled upon purchase, but rather, it was returned because the person bought too much of it. Fault of the customer, not the retailer. If they made the time to drive back to the Costco to get a refund, where it would obviously be thrown in the trash, they could have just as easily dropped it off at a food bank, homeless shelter, a private person, etc,...really, giving it to anyone who could actually have put it to good use.

Last Thanksgiving I bought $500 in Costco gift cards and gave them to a charity to buy provisions for their annual Thanksgiving dinner for the underprivilaged.

And the point of this comment is what? To "prove" that you are a swell guy, or that you actually buy things at Costco that you don't return?

Personally, I've always had more respect for people who do such things in silence, rather than feel the need to boast about it. Sort of cheapens the good deed, wouldn't you agree?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jack Burton
Personally, I've always had more respect for people who do such things in silence, rather than feel the need to boast about it. Sort of cheapens the good deed, wouldn't you agree?
Very true! ^^^
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM

And the point of this comment is what? To "prove" that you are a swell guy, or that you actually buy things at Costco that you don't return?

The purpose of this is because you just can't win. Some sarcastic FTr is going to throw in my face that I should practice what I preach, so there. If I was intending to brag as you put it I would have mentioned how I got miles for it last year at Thanksgiving time.

I fully expect my QL stalker to now throw in some sarcastic remark......

What ever. And I wouldn't even feed my dog a party tray from Costco anyways.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:58 pm

If an item is purchased online from costco, is it possible to return it to the store even if you are not a member?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
I've always had more respect for people who sustainably milk deals rather than blasting them all over the place and getting 5+ year deals closed in a matter of a few days...
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Nice to see my little thread ticking along, if a bit acrimoniously at times.

FWIW, I have never tried this since the OP. It struck me not just as questionable but a bit of a hassle to achieve any good ROI -- less work than the coins to be sure, more work than the various CC promotions.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by johndeere19
I've always had more respect for people who sustainably milk deals rather than blasting them all over the place and getting 5+ year deals closed in a matter of a few days...
Is this really a deal? More like a scheme or a scam.

This has been posted over and over. I'm not sure how one sustainably milks returning things for miles/points/cash.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Deal closed in 5 days?

Are you on crack?

This deal is not closed by any means.

Why are you posting this FALSE information?

Are you trying to keep this all to yourself. You don't own this or any other deal.

The deal is still on, go forth and multiply your miles.

The more people try to hush it up the more reason to publish it.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:40 am

It is amazing how some brag on their twitter & blogs about this SCAM. You can tell they just discovered this and then pretend they knew about this for years.

This SCAM is also very dangerous with the certain diamond angle that a member is pushing.

Accusing someone of posting false information when you have been caught several times doing the same is pretty disingenuous.

I wonder if the respect members that are running the DO are going to let this SCAM be promoted there as a certain member claimed he will be doing.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:29 am

The attention Who#$@# among us need to look for new referral or advertising fees. Can you blame them for trying to game other FT members? They dont see a diff between the mint, CC or a FT member- they are all ways to get ahead for them. Sharing any deal w these members publicly allows them to corrupt your idea and take it as their own.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by QL_714
It is amazing how some brag on their twitter & blogs about this SCAM. You can tell they just discovered this and then pretend they knew about this for years.

This SCAM is also very dangerous with the certain diamond angle that a member is pushing.

Accusing someone of posting false information when you have been caught several times doing the same is pretty disingenuous.

I wonder if the respect members that are running the DO are going to let this SCAM be promoted there as a certain member claimed he will be doing.
You clearly have never been to Danvers Mass... lucky you.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by psyflyer
You clearly have never been to Danvers Mass... lucky you.
Sorry, I don’t understand. Do care to spell it out?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by kapmap
Something many people are not aware of is that the retailer pays the AMEX fee even if you return a purchase -- I don't believe this is true on Visa or MC.

I have a client that sells large ticket items -- had a piano sale of $10,000 on AMEX but the purchase cancelled the sale before delivery and the $10.000 was refunded -- the retailer originally received around $9.700 and was charged the full $10,000 for the refund. When I called AMEX about it and questioned it they told me that was the way they worked -- the fee is charged period. That was a lot to absorb for a small business person.

That said, I am pretty sure a store like Costco or Macy's does not pay the standard 3.1% charge from AMEX -- they are large enough to negotiate that fee down -- but they may still be paying their percent of the transaction fee. So your purchasing and returning a $5,000 item just to get miles costs the club $50-$150 and the other members essentially pay it.

I use my AMEX religiously but try to consider the small retailer if I am purchasing and returning and the cost to them --
what happens with the shipping charges?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by QL_714

Is it really amazing? Guess you are easily amazed.

Anyone who has followed MilesBuzz for the last 6 months would know about this Costco's refund policy. This has been discussed for YEARS. If you want to be a helpful member who provides helpful input you should spell out the dangers of doing a deal/scheme/scam instead of posting negative things against another member. We get how you feel about given members, one does not need more than one post to understand how you feel. All I'm doing is provide substance to your warnings if you truly are looking out for other members.

There is a difference between providing warnings based on fact and not just assumption/opinion. Didn't see you post anything against the scam that was presented to earn miles at the expense of local schools.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Deal closed in 5 days?

Are you on crack?

This deal is not closed by any means.

Why are you posting this FALSE information?

Are you trying to keep this all to yourself. You don't own this or any other deal.

The deal is still on, go forth and multiply your miles.

The more people try to hush it up the more reason to publish it.
Never said 5 days.

Nope.

When's the last time you tried? Last I checked, it didn't work.

Of course I don't, but do you own the rights to blast it all over the place? And not to make this personal, but aren't you the one trying to get people to PAY to come the the DO to learn more information about it? I'd say that shows more of a sense of entitlement/ownership than anything else. Shame on you.

Not the last time I checked.

Flawless logic...

Let's not turn this into a personal battle. The fact of the matter is I have a report that it did not work on last attempt.

Last edited by johndeere19; Apr 4, 2011 at 9:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.