Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2010, 10:12 am

I just returned a computer that I purchased online for which I paid with Visa. When I took it to the store, no questions asked about why I was returning, but they could not credit back to my visa. I had the choice of cash or gift card. I took the cash. So, from now on, whenever I buy something online, I will pay with my Amex.

The onliine store for some reason takes all c/c's, but they told me the physical stores are different.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Back when Costco took Discover card, my wife returned a diamond bracelet worth 3-4k. (1995-1998, I'd guess)

They actually didn't want to return it on the Discover card it was purchased with, but gave cash, instead. This was before online ordering, of course.

I have returned some things that were purchased online. Almost always for less than $1k. Some Costcos will give cash, some only gift card. I've never had them put it back on the card for non-Amex purchases.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sparksals
I just returned a computer that I purchased online for which I paid with Visa. When I took it to the store, no questions asked about why I was returning, but they could not credit back to my visa. I had the choice of cash or gift card. I took the cash. So, from now on, whenever I buy something online, I will pay with my Amex.

The onliine store for some reason takes all c/c's, but they told me the physical stores are different.
You have something against cash? For the dollar churning crowd here, your experience would be perfect.

As for why only Amex, I believe they have a special deal with them and get a greatly reduced (or I've heard no fee) merchant fee.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:41 am

, very interesting!
There were no Costco Warehouses around this area in 1998.
Didn't want to put it back on the DiscoverCard? Very interesting. Maybe that has something to do with why Costco Warehouse were not taking Discover by the time they got to us.

As I remember it. Macy's was the first big retailer around here to say "we will send you a check.".
One of the reasons, and just one of the reasons, is to avoid unnecessarily making your customers into targets for crime, when they exit your building.

Anyway, kudos to you for buying your wife diamonds^.
Still, I worry about any woman who would return diamonds
Somehow, it just don't seem natural!

Last edited by 4now; May 24, 2010 at 10:51 am
Old May 24, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
That may your view, it is certainly not mine. Ethics are important--ask Goldman Sachs.
you are comparing returning an item to Costco to what GS did during the financial crisis? I think that is a pretty huge leap.

My point is that it is up to the individual to determine what is and what is not ethical. He simply asked a question.

If you wanna start in with ethics...is applying for a credit card just for the miles and then cancelling ethical? signing up for checking account for miles only to cancel ethical? coins? CC churning? etc.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A funny thing happened on the way back from the Costco

Originally Posted by 4now
Anyway, kudos to you for buying your wife diamonds^.
Still, I worry about any woman who would return diamonds
Somehow, it just don't seem natural!
Oh, there's a long story attached to the bracelet. She kept complaining that we needed a lawnmower. So I got her one. For her Christmas present. She was not amused.

After a few days I was about to lose my sanity, and bought her a bracelet she had expressed an interest in. Of course that was too much money to spend on jewelry, she said. The money ended up building an addition onto a small property we have in Costa Rica.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
You have something against cash? For the dollar churning crowd here, your experience would be perfect.

As for why only Amex, I believe they have a special deal with them and get a greatly reduced (or I've heard no fee) merchant fee.

I don't have anything against cash, per se, but since we bank with USAA, I don't like to carry a bunch of cash because I can't deposit it. Not only that, I had ordered a replacement computer. When I returned the first one, I thought they would just credit back to my Visa, but they couldn't do that. I wound up having to open a new bank account so I could transfer the cash back to USAA.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Back when Costco took Discover card, my wife returned a diamond bracelet worth 3-4k. (1995-1998, I'd guess)

They actually didn't want to return it on the Discover card it was purchased with, but gave cash, instead. This was before online ordering, of course.

I have returned some things that were purchased online. Almost always for less than $1k. Some Costcos will give cash, some only gift card. I've never had them put it back on the card for non-Amex purchases.
Very interesting that they refunded a relatively large amount to you in cash. Costco never ceases to amaze me. There has to be some sort of limit on the returns in cash... I cant imagine Costco giving someone $20k in cash for returning some massive diamond, but who knows.

I still maintain that doing something like this once or twice, to meet some spend requirement probably wouldn't be an issue. But doing it repeatedly, and with large amounts to try and rack up CC reward points or cash back I am sure would raise red flags and probably just not a good idea. But who knows, maybe someone gets a few hundred thousand in miles doing this.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:35 pm

On a related note, I've returned things that were purchased using my Hilton American Express. The clerk automatically put the refund on my Costco American Express. No muss, no fuss, but in each case the returned product cost less than $30.
Old May 24, 2010, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Very interesting that they refunded a relatively large amount to you in cash. Costco never ceases to amaze me. There has to be some sort of limit on the returns in cash... I cant imagine Costco giving someone $20k in cash for returning some massive diamond, but who knows.

I still maintain that doing something like this once or twice, to meet some spend requirement probably wouldn't be an issue. But doing it repeatedly, and with large amounts to try and rack up CC reward points or cash back I am sure would raise red flags and probably just not a good idea. But who knows, maybe someone gets a few hundred thousand in miles doing this.
This was something like $850. Not a great deal, but more than I felt comfortable carrying.

I do believe Costco monitors returns. You have to do something pretty hinky to be banned, I think.
Old May 24, 2010, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ispolkom
On a related note, I've returned things that were purchased using my Hilton American Express. The clerk automatically put the refund on my Costco American Express. No muss, no fuss, but in each case the returned product cost less than $30.
That's b/c Costco stores only accept AmEx, but for some reason online accepts all. I have just learned to use my amex when I buy costco online so my account can be credited rather than carry large cash. Gift card would be nice, but then I would have to spend it! lol
Old May 24, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
That's b/c Costco stores only accept AmEx, but for some reason online accepts all. I have just learned to use my amex when I buy costco online so my account can be credited rather than carry large cash. Gift card would be nice, but then I would have to spend it! lol
This just does not make good mileage sense. You should purchase online with your m/c or Visa which earns miles and then if you need to get a refund then do so at the store and get cash back.

If you purchase online with Amex the store will just refund on the Amex and you have no net mileage gain. Costco "stores" dod not accept m/c of visa , therefore have no way of refunding the cash to those cards. Generally of it is over a month they will refund cash because they believe the card has had a chance to charge back if it was stolen.

They allowed in the past laptop computers to be returned every six months. They did this for over 5 years, then changed the policy to 90 days last year. Just not worth the trouble for 90 days use vs 180 days.

I believe the Costco agreement with their vendors is on a guarrantied sales basis, meaning the vendor does not get paid until the item is scanned for a sale, and all returnes are debited back against purchases. So Costco never looses. I always return fruit and vegetables when they go bad or have mold, nothing worse that buying a tray of strawberries and the next day they are covered in mold or a bag of onions is all bruised and rotten within 3 days. Home Depot has a similar policy with their vendors, so I have no problem returning items there either.

I would not risk purchasing anything for an intentional return, but if you are buying something online, then don't wast your time using an Amex if there is any possible chance you might return the item. Take the cash and the miles.

I won't even discuss my sucess stories here since the dumb dumb is back.

Last edited by mrpickles; May 24, 2010 at 7:14 pm
Old May 24, 2010, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
This just does not make good mileage sense. You should purchase online with your m/c or Visa which earns miles and then if you need to get a refund then do so at the store and get cash back.

If you purchase online with Amex the store will just refund on the Amex and you have no net mileage gain. Costco "stores" dod not accept m/c of visa , therefore have no way of refunding the cash to those cards. Generally of it is over a month they will refund cash because they believe the card has had a chance to charge back if it was stolen.

They allowed in the past laptop computers to be returned every six months. They did this for over 5 years, then changed the policy to 90 days last year. Just not worth the trouble for 90 days use vs 180 days.

I believe the Costco agreement with their vendors is on a guarrantied sales basis, meaning the vendor does not get paid until the item is scanned for a sale, and all returnes are debited back against purchases. So Costco never looses. I always return fruit and vegetables when they go bad or have mold, nothing worse that buying a tray of strawberries and the next day they are covered in mold or a bag of onions is all bruised and rotten within 3 days. Home Depot has a similar policy with their vendors, so I have no problem returning items there either.

I would not risk purchasing anything for an intentional return, but if you are buying something online, then don't wast your time using an Amex if there is any possible chance you might return the item. Take the cash and the miles.

I won't even discuss my sucess stories here since the dumb dumb is back.
Yes, this is a good strategy for miles accumulation. For us, we're not miles heavy hitters, so the miles don't mean much to us... getting the credit on the c/c was more important since large amounts of cash are difficult for us to deposit and then transfer.
Old May 24, 2010, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrpickles
They used to allow computers to returned up to 1 year after purchase. I'm sure that given the price reductions, that they probably lost a lot on this return policy.

I had a relative who had a problem with an E-machine computer. The disk drive was messed up, and they gave a full refund 364 days after purchase.
Old May 24, 2010, 7:49 pm

Yes, this is a good strategy for miles accumulation. For us, we're not miles heavy hitters, so the miles don't mean much to us... getting the credit on the c/c was more important since large amounts of cash are difficult for us to deposit and then transfer.
You are on the wrong webpage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.