Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Am I Getting This Right? -- Costco Refund Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Did I read here that if you buy something online at Costco.com you can return it to a retail Costco in person and get a check, even if you purchased online with a CC?
Old May 23, 2010, 4:09 pm
In memoriam

Sorta right. IME you get cash or a Costco gift card for returns, depending on whether you have a receipt or not. Why this matters is unclear, since they have a record of all purchases on your member number.

However, keep in mind, that they also keep track of returns and if you make too many you can get booted from membership.

Surely you are not thinking of buying online and returning and keeping those credit card miles?
Old May 23, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: ECExec, SPGTitanium,, UAPlat
Wow, never thought about this idea. Don't you have to pay for shipping when you order online?
Old May 23, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Best bet is one of the ~200k diamonds. Would you really care about shipping costs? Certainly a small price to pay for the reward.
Old May 23, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I cant imagine CostCo is going to issue you a check or give you cash for any sort of large ($5k+) purchase. Almost certainly issue the refund back to your CC.

And as others said, if you start doing this on any meaningful scale, very likely your membership could be canned.

Still, as a 1 or 2 time thing to meet some spend requirement, interesting idea.
Old May 23, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
If this is correct and they are issuing cash back or gift cards,then I would guess it's because they can only process Amex in the store. Online you can use any credit card.

So if you are going to try this,be sure you use a MC or Visa online.
Old May 23, 2010, 6:39 pm
In memoriam

I always use Amex when I buy online from Costco.

Never had a problem returning in store, but, I suspect you will be getting a gift card rather than cash if you return anything costly.

So, practically, it may not work. And, ethically, rather dubious, at best.
Old May 23, 2010, 7:21 pm

Yes, the first issue will be will they revoke the membership?

But it is unlikely that they would refund a large amount of cash. Possibly, they would opt to mail you a check. The check is in the mail.
Old May 23, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
7 responses to this question with no true answer. also pls stop with the ethical issues. that is up to the person posting the question to decide. its not up to us to judge him, but to answer his question.

i have returned to costco from an online purchase. it was an air conditioner worth about $800. i paid with visa. in store returns just gave me cash. they indicate they can only process returns to amex. whether this is just the costco amex or any amex, i didnt ask. this was in late '09. this would make since since in store they don't take visa, mc, and only the costco amex.

so bottom line yes, you could do this, collect the miles and get the cash back.
Old May 23, 2010, 8:47 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by koctail
7 responses to this question with no true answer. also pls stop with the ethical issues. that is up to the person posting the question to decide. its not up to us to judge him, but to answer his question.
That may your view, it is certainly not mine. Ethics are important--ask Goldman Sachs.
Old May 23, 2010, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I don't think you can ever get booted from Costco.. all they have to do at the til when you return is decide how to refund you.. after that, its' their problem.

I bought my computer from Costco.ca.. with Visa.. I couldn't get the same deal instore, and the top of the line Dell was $200 off. They said I can return it to any Costco, for any reason within 60 or 90 days. If I return it.. they would follow the store policy, and there won't be 2 cents to worry about.
Old May 23, 2010, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Torino
Did I read here that if you buy something online at Costco.com you can return it to a retail Costco in person and get a check, even if you purchased online with a CC?
They have always given a credit back to the CC for me.
Old May 23, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, AA, BA, US
Originally Posted by newlos
They have always given a credit back to the CC for me.
me, too. It gets credited back to the card it was charged to (They take any Amex, not just Costco Amex).
Old May 24, 2010, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by tusflyer
me, too. It gets credited back to the card it was charged to (They take any Amex, not just Costco Amex).
That is absolutely correct if you used your Amex card to make a purchase at costo.com. Howevere, if you used a Visa or MC at costco.com and return an item to a store, they will give you a cash back.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:04 am

HaHa. Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh.

Buy the 3 row diamond necklace with your non-Amex card today. As soon as it arrives, carry it back to your local Costco warehouse. I'm already confident that they are not going to give you $16000, or even a check for that amount on the spot. See how long it takes for you to receive your refund check through the mail. Maybe it will get there before your bill does; maybe not. But remember to pay your non-Amex bill on time. It's the ethical thing to do; and you wouldn't want to chance screwing up on the card that issues the frequent flyer miles.
After that, try it again with a $18000 diamond bracelet.
And when that check finally arrives, try for the $28000 diamond ring...and so on.

I'd be very interested to know just how long anyone could get away with this before Costco cancelled the membership.

The folks running Costco are both competent and nice. They are nice up to the point where they have to be competent in order to continue to run a successful business.
One of the 2 Costco warehouses that I do business with was unfortunate enough to be hit by a group individuals in the community trying to engage in nefarious activity. Costco stopped being nice and cancelled some memberships.
5 years later, that Costco Warehouse is still there and doing just fine, thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.