Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE READ FIRST: WELCOME and MODERATOR NOTE

Welcome to the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel.

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.
We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, perhaps the most useful one is:

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator (click on the button). Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
MORE about the MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

In order to a) keep the original thread focused on confirmed news and known facts, and b) allow folks a place to discuss their ideas about what might have happened, the MH370 moderators and Community Director have decided to open this thread.

Here are the expectations:

1. The normal FT TOS apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected respect our diversity , and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously, information that has been posted in the News thread wiki or FAQ, may be deleted.
E.g. the aircraft was vaporized.

In terms of housekeeping, posts may get moved from the "news" thread if and as needed, and posts that do not conform to these simple expectations, above, will be deleted.

Also note: this wiki is locked; changes can only be made by moderators.

Thank you.

Your MH370 Moderation Team
aBroadAbroad; cblaisd; JDiver; l'etoile; NewbieRunner; oliver2002; Prospero
and Community Director
SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

MH370 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: Skywards Gold & Others
Originally Posted by alanstarr
It was in the "World Exclusive" by New Straits Times, a Malaysian English daily. Had a huge front page headline about it.

It is worth noting that NST is wholly owned by UMNO, the party that had led the Malaysian government for 57 years. It is therefore to some extent the English language mouthpiece of the government and it is heavily edited/censored to suit the ruling party's agenda.

Having said that, if they really did get sources from inside Malaysian military, the 5000 feet figure might be true. Worth noting also that on the second day itself we had reports of people in Kota Bharu seeing a large plane flying very low so that adds credence to this.

http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general...radar-1.516965
Thanks for that.

If they did get as low as 5,000ft, I wonder why that happened? If it was a failing plane, we could expect wreckage to be possibly nearby (assuming the plane was going down) but if it was intentional, I wonder what purpose it would serve?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
"Supergrass" apparently is a British slang term for informer.

Link to story from the Telegraph.
As I understand it, this 'information' was given to British authorities some time ago, so not just after the plane went missing.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by BNE2?
Thanks for that.

If they did get as low as 5,000ft, I wonder why that happened? If it was a failing plane, we could expect wreckage to be possibly nearby (assuming the plane was going down) but if it was intentional, I wonder what purpose it would serve?
"Terrain hugging", a famous military tactic to avoid radar. The closer you fly to the ground, the more likely radar will miss you.

This is the tactic the two helicopters involved in the OBL raid used to get into Pakistani territory undetected.

However, it must be said the B777 is a HUGE jet and is not made for these kinds of purposes. Plus, the B777 has no ground radar to scope the ground ahead and calculate the terrain. Very dangerous. And some claim this is implausible for an aircraft this size.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
However, it must be said the B777 is a HUGE jet and is not made for these kinds of purposes. Plus, the B777 has no ground radar to scope the ground ahead and calculate the terrain. Very dangerous. And some claim this is implausible for an aircraft this size.
Well, it does have EGPWS and can map terrain on the moving map, but I would doubt it would be that helpful if flying that low and fast through mountains.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold & Others
"Terrain hugging", a famous military tactic to avoid radar. The closer you fly to the ground, the more likely radar will miss you.

This is the tactic the two helicopters involved in the OBL raid used to get into Pakistani territory undetected.

But 5,000 ft? Maybe 500 ft (and that's a BIG maybe( but 5,000 ft is not going to fool too many radars.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Kazaks say we would have detected the a/c with our radars, but even if we did not, other countries would have told us !!!!!

"Even hypothetically thinking, before reaching Kazakhstan's territory this plane would have had to fly over other countries along its route, where the flight zone is also closely monitored, so we would have received information from these countries," he added.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2701720140317

At the same time, Pakistan and Afghanistan being asked to assist

Last night sources in Kuala Lumpur assisting with the investigation told The Independent that full diplomatic permissions were being sought in order to rule out the theory that the plane could have flown to areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan that are not under government control.

Large areas of the southern half of Afghanistan are ruled by the Afghan Taliban, while some areas of north-west Pakistan, adjacent to or near to the Afghan border, are controlled by the Pakistani Taliban.

A spokesman for Malaysian Airlines said: “These are matters for the jurisdiction of those regions and Malaysia’s armed forces and department of civil aviation. In regard to Pakistan and Afghanistan, we cannot explore those theories without permission. We hope to have that soon.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...t-9197375.html
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any

I believe people actually tweeted about those helicopters. think about a 777 flying at 500 ft. Somebody is going to notice that.

I just don't think we have anything definitive enough to rule out intentional or non-intentional causes at this point.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by skrobo21
If we assume the drastic changes in altitude are correct, and the evasive erratic flying that is being reported, I don't understand how the last ping could have been from the plane while it was in flight. Scheduled flight time was about 5.5 -6hrs. Total fuel put on board is based on the flight plan, which includes things like distance to destination, alternate airports, reserve fuel, winds, and planned flight altitude.

To say that the plane made all these fuel burning maneuvers, and was still flying at the 7hr mark, doesn't seem to add up. Airlines don't just carry extra fuel unless there are very rare circumstances. If the pings are legit, which they appear to be, then wouldn't the plane have to be on the ground at that point?
The claims of low altitude "terrain-hugging" flying, which would indeed burn fuel at a high rate, are sheer speculation. (Think about it. The evidence is "radar didn't see the plane, so the plane must have been trying to avoid radar by flying low." Well, that could be - or the radar operators could have been asleep, or the radar not functioning, or the operators thought it was a flock of birds or something else, or any one of 1,000 explanations -- or the plane could have been over the southern Indian Ocean the whole time, where there is no radar. So unless there is some positive evidence for 5,000 foot flying, it can be discounted completely.)

If you assume that most flying was done at a normal altitude, 7-8 hours of flying time is not unreasonable.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
So this leaves us two options:
a) planes has successfully landed somewhere
b) there was more fuel than should have and plane could be almost anywhere
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I made this point as well. If they can confirm "normal" fuel was on the plane, and if the plane was really switching altitudes and flying low, then flying for 7.5 hrs is nigh impossible. 8.11am's transmission would then have meant the plane was sitting perfectly fine on a runway.
Or somehow landed, refuelled and was airborne again.

I have been trying to stay grounded as possible in my personal speculations, but this has gone from unlikely to absurd to James Bond style outlandish. Anything that is theoretically possible seems to be within the acceptable realm of reality at this point.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Okay, I see the point about the switch of time. But it is pretty hard to explain how it kept transmitting for 7 or so hours from different places if it exploded over the South China Sea at 1:22 local time. The information that it was not flying randomly also seems to be consistent for the last few days, even if one discounts the altitude changes.
It might not have "exploded" just that maybe the cockpit systems failed such as the radio, transponder and ACARS but somehow power was still being fed to the SATCOM. It's possible that the plane managed to fly relatively stably for a few hours before crashing into the ocean and eventually sinking with the cockpit systems disabled.

Sounds unlikely but maybe a fire in the electrical cabinet down below or some kind of terrible series of events. I don't see how this can be positively ruled out unless there is some other definite information that tells us beyond doubt that the transponder/ACARs disabling/flight-path was "deliberate".

Lots of people thought that AF447 was a result of foul play until the black box proved that it was a series of unlikely and unfortunate events. Remember no radio contact or mayday call was given either.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by giblet
I can understand why they are holding back some info, ostensibly to not give it to the hijackers. However, ostensibly if the hijacker(s) are still alive, at this point they already know what's in the cargo hold. So either there's something in there that Malaysia wants to keep from the public, or it really is full of mangosteens.

If each seat is worth ~$290, that means they are spending $14,500 to ship 6000-8000 pounds of mangosteens, or $1.80-$2.40 per pound. I don't know the going rate for mangosteens in China, but this doesn't make sense to me.
As quite possibly the only person on this thread who has recently bought mangosteens in China, I can report that within the past week they were selling for 25 RMB (~$4) per 500g (~1.1 lbs). However, that was a spike from the last time I bought them when they were 15 RMB (~$2.50) for the price.

I had no idea that the rise in price for mangosteens at my neighborhood fruit seller might be connected to this incident.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Okay, I see the point about the switch of time. But it is pretty hard to explain how it kept transmitting for 7 or so hours from different places if it exploded over the South China Sea at 1:22 local time. The information that it was not flying randomly also seems to be consistent for the last few days, even if one discounts the altitude changes.
The transimitting for 7 or so hours you talk about is not the ACARS transmissions, but the "hello, I am here" pings from SATCOM that the satellite picked up!!.

Also, the implication upto today was that the pilots were somehow complicit - one or both of them turned ACARS off, then did the verbal handover very casually with KL air control, and soon after turned off the transponder and then off they went on their pre-planned route westwards. That is called into question now with the time change - the possibility of someone forcibly taking over after the pilots had done the "all right, good night" bit with KL ATC cannot be now ruled out as easily.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:19 am

Stolen passports used previously (implied for other people): "Xie Zhuoling, the head of a firm that recruits foreign performers for nightclubs and hotels, said that employment contracts had been signed in June for Christian Kozel, an Austrian, and Luigi Maraldi, an Italian, to work as dancers in Ningxia, northern China."

In that case as well, transportation was from K.L.. Sounds like a human traffic ring -- probably based out of K.L. -- passports used for travel, then collected and returned for the next use? Quite interesting that they were kept together, but probably further confirmation that the two passengers on MH 370 were illegal migrants rather than involved in the plane's disappearance.

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldno...#ixzz2wEI76zug
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:20 am

Saw a post this morning about possibly using SIA 68 to mask its flight. Any credence to it?

http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/po...ar-using-sia68

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.