Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied access to KUL Platinum Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
It has always been like this covid or not. You can cite any OW rules you want but this is what their employees in KUL are told and held to, so they won’t budge unless someone from corporate tells them otherwise
No it has been not. As noted throughout this thread, many people, myself included many times, have accessed the F lounge pre COVID when arriving on an international ticket and departing on a domestic one as OWE.

Hence the confusion, and the ensuing debate. Plus the access rules aren’t spelled out fully and publicly, as OP discovered only at the lounge reception, hasn’t helped alleviate the confusion.
palmanfr likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
No it has been not. As noted throughout this thread, many people, myself included many times, have accessed the F lounge pre COVID when arriving on an international ticket and departing on a domestic one as OWE.

Hence the confusion, and the ensuing debate. Plus the access rules aren’t spelled out fully and publicly, as OP discovered only at the lounge reception, hasn’t helped alleviate the confusion.
Did you arrive on an MH marketed and operated flight in business class? If yes you qualified for entry based on your arrival flight, which still would be the case today - in this case, your OWE status is not relevant. OP's inbound flight was QR marketed and this made them ineligible (although it was MH operated but that doesn't count - it must have MH flight number on the boarding pass to qualify for access on arrival).
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
Did you arrive on an MH marketed and operated flight in business class? If yes you qualified for entry based on your arrival flight, which still would be the case today - in this case, your OWE status is not relevant. OP's inbound flight was QR marketed and this made them ineligible (although it was MH operated but that doesn't count - it must have MH flight number on the boarding pass to qualify for access on arrival).
Yes I was. But entry as business class traveler should only get you to the business lounge. You need OWE status, or travel in first / business suite, to enter the first / platinum lounge - even on arrival.

Last edited by carrotjuice; Jan 10, 2023 at 10:27 am
Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:59 am

Today I was granted while arriving on TK (doesn't matter, really) and departing on MH domestic. The lounge chap just warned that I still had to go through immigration, but no discussion at all. Pointed me to the sapphire lounge and when I told him my BP says emerald, pointed towards the emerald lounge. Was not even interested in looking closer at my BP.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I had no idea this thread even existed. I arrived in KUL about two weeks ago on a JL-marketed, but MH-operated flight. Surprisingly, I got two different boarding passes for the flight. Long story how that happened. One had the JL flight number. The other one actually showed MH89. I never tried it, but I wonder if I would have had arrival lounge access as a OWE?
Old Jan 21, 2023, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Without wishing to throw fuel onto the fire, I'm a OWE and will be flying MH from KUL-SIN (not connecting, journey starting that day/flight.) What lounges will I be able to access at KUL?
Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by u01sss3
Without wishing to throw fuel onto the fire, I'm a OWE and will be flying MH from KUL-SIN (not connecting, journey starting that day/flight.) What lounges will I be able to access at KUL?
The F (Platinum) and J, both of which are in the Satellite (C gates), and the Regional J which is in the Main Terminal (G/H gates) where your SIN flight will most likely depart from.

The Satellite requires a train/bus ride to get to which is a bit of a drag these days. Unless you have more than 1.5hours to spare I wouldn't bother with the F lounge unless you happen to get a C gate departure.
lsquare, u01sss3 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by SilverChris
The F (Platinum) and J, both of which are in the Satellite (C gates), and the Regional J which is in the Main Terminal (G/H gates) where your SIN flight will most likely depart from.

The Satellite requires a train/bus ride to get to which is a bit of a drag these days. Unless you have more than 1.5hours to spare I wouldn't bother with the F lounge unless you happen to get a C gate departure.
Thank you kindly for your detailed response!
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:07 pm

I arrived on a domestic flight yesterday in Y and popped into the Domestic Lounge to ask if arrivals were allowed in. Answer was Platinum only for arrivals in Domestic lounge (regardless of class of travel), Gold/OWS for International lounge.

It probably says the same thing in this thread or on their website but I often like to test these things out in the real world before being convinced!
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by immunedata
I arrived on a domestic flight yesterday in Y and popped into the Domestic Lounge to ask if arrivals were allowed in. Answer was Platinum only for arrivals in Domestic lounge (regardless of class of travel), Gold/OWS for International lounge.
Not the same situation: this thread was about access rights after an I->D transfer (which I can’t say much more on), while you were asking about Arrivals access.

Their FAQ answer on Arrivals access is linked in the main Golden Lounges thread. The answer states only Enrich members, OWE/OWS not mentioned / expected, and Domestic lounge access is specifically excepted; sounds like MH’s policy again isn’t clear (either to staff or passengers, take your pick).

Last edited by crackjack; Jan 24, 2023 at 9:53 pm
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:52 am

After the fiasco of 3 Firefly cancellations on 24 Jan (due to heavy rain at Seletar), those affected and still wished to fly were bussed to KLIA, and put on a chartered MH 621 flight to Changi.

After checking in I went with my spouse to the Golden Lounge (as OWEs). We were originally told that we couldn't use the lounge because they couldn't charge the lounge usage to the e-ticket number (this was a hastily put together chartered flight). But the lounge dragon then allowed us in anyway - "since we were already there" and "the lounge wasn't busy".

So, it's all YMMV situation, and I get a sense that the lounge dragons do have some discretion whether or not to allow entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.