Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 737-800NG refresh: new seats, no seatback screens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Just sharing this update on MH's plans to refresh all 38 of its 737-800NGs, with the first flying later this month.
* new business class seats, still two-abreast recliners but with one less row, and pitch reduced from 41" to 39" (MH claims the new seats are thinner than the ones they replace), with power from AC, USB-A and USB-C ports
* new economy seats (162 of 'em, so three extra rows over the current config of 144), 30" pitch, USB-A and USB-C ports
* no seatback screens: all IFE streamed via WiFi (all seats have a fold-down device holder for smartphones and tablets)

Here are some pics:

Those are the take-aways, more info and pics at https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...-economy-class
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

* Grrr, typos in thread title which I can't edit: Mods, and chance you could change "new sats, no setback screens" to "new seats, no setback screens"? *
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by djsflynn
* Grrr, typos in thread title which I can't edit: Mods, and chance you could change "new sats, no setback screens" to "new seats, no setback screens"? *
Was going to ask if you meant "seatback", but "setback" seems very apt in this case
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:20 am

And THAT'S business class?! I honestly thought it was some premium economy.

The colour scheme makes them all look like chairs at a hospital...
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:49 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
It's a terrible strategic decision by Malaysia Airlines. They're trying to compete with Air Asia, which they'll not be able to do. Instead they should be putting clear water between them and Air Asia... that's the only way they'll be able to differentiate and charge a premium. And the new business class offering looks terrible - they'll lose out on lucrative Oneworld FFs.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:28 am

Finnair colour - deja vu!
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:32 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

As usual, very bad decisions taken by a team managed by clowns at the helm. The whole concept looks so cheap, sadly looks like instead of taking the opportunity to improve and reshape after all their unlucky mishaps and the corona period, it has taken a whole wrong direction.
I know the company will never be shut down with all the politics involved, so I guess we just have to live with it. I am fine as long as they have when things recover further decent J-fares to reflect their minimalistic product.

Cheers!
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
If anyone is keeping track, this is the exact configuration (12J/162Y) that QF has on their 738s (some with PTV, some with WiFi streaming).

Originally Posted by nldogbert
I am fine as long as they have when things recover further decent J-fares to reflect their minimalistic product.
Have you seen their J prices? You'd think they are charging SQ prices (at least ex-KUL). But good for them if they can fill the cabin with mediocre products at a premium price point (cough *BA*).

Originally Posted by Too much travel
that's the only way they'll be able to differentiate and charge a premium. And the new business class offering looks terrible - they'll lose out on lucrative Oneworld FFs.
Problem is they can't charge a premium ex-KUL. Most ex-KUL pax just choose the cheapest. The Malaysia government just announced new austerity measures - civil servants are barred from traveling in business cabin (previously, civil servants above a certain grade has J class benefits) and a lot of travel has been canceled.

Having that said, MH is leaps and bounds better than AK. A 20kg bag check is only RM20 (<$5 USD) for intra-ASEAN sectors. Plus you still get lounge benefits, interline agreement, way better terminal at KUL, and of course a hot meal even for a short hop to SIN in J or KCH in Y (1:30 flight).
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:00 am

Programs: Enrich
If you fly air asia between SIN and KUL leg during early morning or evening, you will notice that alot of company send their staff for meeting by using LCC instead of MH or SQ. Instead, I used to see either US or JP based company will send their staff to Singapore via JL/MH connection.

The primary concern for me is whether I need to shutdown my phone during take off landing or not after this refurbishments. If no longer require to do, then the impact is minimal
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Is there a tracker for these refurbishments, and/or does anyone which frames have already been refurbished?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
Is there a tracker for these refurbishments, and/or does anyone which frames have already been refurbished?

9M-MXV

this is the first one done refurbish, currently serve KUL to TWU as Flightradar24 shown.
Danial and enelym1978 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:26 am

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Hi, anyone here knows if additional newer refurbished 737/s has/have joined back into MH service as current refurbished cabin is still one and only 9M-MXV? I am planning to experience this 9M-MXV but this aircraft seems to be assigned randomly to a number of destinations so my plan is on hold until a particular destination is fix to this refurbished aircraft. Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I flew on 9M-MXL in mid-December and it had been refurbished by then.
Danial likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 7:39 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I must have been lucky than - flew recently on KUL-KUA-KUL - in/outbound on different days and for sure I was on MXV on the outbound, but inbound I was not sure - however it was also with the new interior. ( I believe it was another aircraft - as this time on the tray table, there was itself another sort of tablet holder which I did not notice on my outbound plane)

However I must say that I was totally underwhelmed by the new cabin/seats.
- it looks cheap in real life with too much plastic in my opinion
- the white seat frame is going to show wear and tear very fast - already on mine, I saw quite a few long black streaks from baggage/things hitting against it
- the aisle seats in Business - had a strange middle steel which means impossible to have anything under the seat - unless you have a small bag/carryon
- recline function was not the easiest - you had to push against something fix to push it to recline
- the foodtrays did not hold well on the tray tables - mine nearly slided off with my drinks (hot and cold) and in some miracle way, caught the tray in a split second.

the only nice thing about it was the table holder.and they did try to include some of the Malaysian motif into the seat design.

Cheers!
Danial likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:54 am

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Lightbulb

Thanks for the review and update folks, Now, if anyone books business class on 737, have to avoid choosing row 4, just in case if newer refurbished aircraft is assigned with no row 4 business class seats. Please be caution unless you are Enrich Platinum where one gets to choose seat for free, as for Y class, don't select and pay for row 4 bulk head as if changed to old layout, bulkhead is row 5.
So far only 7 out of 34 air frames refurbished as per 2nd Feb 2023.
1) 9M-MXV
2) 9M-MXL
3) 9M-MLO
4) 9M-MSF
5) 9M-MSA
6) 9M-MXN
7) 9M-MLN
romans likes this.

Last edited by Danial; Feb 12, 2023 at 3:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.