Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied access to KUL Platinum Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Denied access to KUL Platinum Lounge

I am a Oneworld Emerald flying business class on an international MH-operated service arriving in the satellite terminal with a same day domestic connection on an MH-operated service in business class departing from the main terminal.

I was denied access to the platinum lounge when I arrived at the satelite terminal. They kept insisting only MH Platinum cardholders can use the platinum lounge as an arrival lounge but I told them I should be eligible to access it as a Oneworld Emerald with an MH-operated departing flight.

We looked up the Oneworld lounge access rules which I believe supports my position but the wonderful ladies and gentlemen would not budge. They were polite though.

Super frustrating and sometimes I think MH deserves their poor reputation.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:25 am

This is nonsensical. A new change post COVID? I have done this many times pre COVID and you’re right - it’s an entitlement of OWE.
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Perhaps new staff and management that are simply ignorant of how things have worked and should be working? I know I have had no problems in the past. I do seem to remember one other post recently in this forum of a similar denial though.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:34 am
Original Poster

I have emailed Izham Ismail.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by simpletastes
I am a Oneworld Emerald flying business class on an international MH-operated service arriving in the satellite terminal with a same day domestic connection on an MH-operated service in business class departing from the main terminal.
I notice that you said "MH operated". Were your inbound and outbound flight numbers MHXXX? Or do they carry the code of another airline (if so which?) but operated by MH?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Inbound was coseshare QR, MH and probably a few other airlines.

Outbound was usual domestic flight by MH.

Whole trip was ticketed by QR. Inbound consisted of 3 flights.

Boarding pass was printed by BA as first flight was operated by BA. Boarding passes had MH flight numbers for last two segments (inbound to KUL and outbound from KUL)

The flight numbers was not even a reason the lounge agents raised to deny me access.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: Enrich
https://askmh.malaysiaairlines.com/f...language=en_US

If based on this, it can be said they may correct. The FAQ does indicate MH platinum or business suite (aka first class) ticket. So I believe they based on this
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dici
https://askmh.malaysiaairlines.com/f...language=en_US

If based on this, it can be said they may correct. The FAQ does indicate MH platinum or business suite (aka first class) ticket. So I believe they based on this
The FAQ does not address Oneworld access rules. There is a sign on the wall that the KUL satelite platinum lounge is a Oneworld Emerald lounge.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
The FAQ does not address Oneworld access rules. There is a sign on the wall that the KUL satelite platinum lounge is a Oneworld Emerald lounge.
Did they put you in the J lounge or Domestic Lounge ?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Inbound was coseshare QR, MH and probably a few other airlines.

Outbound was usual domestic flight by MH.

Whole trip was ticketed by QR. Inbound consisted of 3 flights.

Boarding pass was printed by BA as first flight was operated by BA. Boarding passes had MH flight numbers for last two segments (inbound to KUL and outbound from KUL)

The flight numbers was not even a reason the lounge agents raised to deny me access.
The question isn't about all of the codeshares that your flight segment used (QR. MH, a few others according to your post) but rather how the flight number appears on your ticket and your PNR. This can make a difference for lounge access, but I don't know whether it's an issue in your particular situation.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: Enrich
This is applied for departure only, but not for arriving. Although you still can access the golden lounge using the business class ticket on arrival.

I do recall the domestic ticket would not work for satellite lounge, unless there is change
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dici
This is applied for departure only, but not for arriving. Although you still can access the golden lounge using the business class ticket on arrival.

I do recall the domestic ticket would not work for satellite lounge, unless there is change
I am departing on a oneworld flight as a oneworld Emerald and should have access to the lounge. I think that is all that matters.

I had more than a domestic ticket. I was in transit with both flights being oneworld flights. I am not requesting access as an arriving passenger but as a transit and departing passenger. If I only had a domestic ticket, that perhaps even might be the case because I would have no reason to be in the satelite terminal (perhaps not allowed or would have to go through immigration). But I am on an international itinerary and I was in transit at the satelite terminal. Multiple posters in a similar situation I was in were able to access.

It is not about what the lounge allows or does not allow but how they should abide by oneworld rules. Or else don't call themselves a oneworld lounge.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The question isn't about all of the codeshares that your flight segment used (QR. MH, a few others according to your post) but rather how the flight number appears on your ticket and your PNR. This can make a difference for lounge access, but I don't know whether it's an issue in your particular situation.
Incoming flight had QR flight code in ticket operated by MH. Outbound flight had MH flight code in ticket operated by MH. I don't see the relevance. They are all oneworld.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:25 am

This thread is extremely curious to me.

OP… which “Platinum Lounge” were you denied access to as OWE? Were you prevented from entering the First / Business Suite lounge to the right of the reception at the entrance of the satellite lounge? Or you were allowed to turn right into the First / Business Suite lounge, but prevented from using the small keycard operated room inside that lounge?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
This thread is extremely curious to me.

OP… which “Platinum Lounge” were you denied access to as OWE? Were you prevented from entering the First / Business Suite lounge to the right of the reception at the entrance of the satellite lounge? Or you were allowed to turn right into the First / Business Suite lounge, but prevented from using the small keycard operated room inside that lounge?
I was denied access to the First / Business Suite lounge (also known as the Platinum Lounge or the Platinum Suite). This is a very big lounge.

I was not requesting access to the exclusive / secret / VIP room within the First / Business Suite lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.