Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH charge fare diff even they cancel my flight and I rebook in same class same route

MH charge fare diff even they cancel my flight and I rebook in same class same route

Old May 12, 20, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX SL/BA GOLD

I booked a TPESIN round trip Z class TP run in June and of course my flights got canceled. I call the hotline and the staff advised any rebooking will cost me fare diff around TWD3600
as the price now is much more expensive than I booked during last year October. I said it is not reasonable that MH should charge me the fare diff as it is your side who cancel the flight
(yes I know it is because of COVID-19 but that does not change the fact that it is the airline who cancels the flight) and I am asking to be rebooked under same routing and same class
condition, the staff just say I either pay the fare diff or I can travel in economy or I can complain but the result is still the same.

Should I ask the credit card company to charge back as they fail to provide their service? I read some other posts here and it seems complaining to MH is useless.
Old May 12, 20, 6:01 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
MH - in blatant contrast to all other airlines I know - has unfortunately chosen to collect fare differences for rebookings, even though they cancelled the flights. Complaining to MH is indeed useless as this is their policy.
Since this was for a TP run and you appear to be flexible, I`d just wait for lower fares to pop up between now and December 31 (as that is the deadline for free rebookings) or just get a refund and rebook somewhere else.
If you booked the ticket in a region with more customer-friendly legislation (say, in the UK) and really want to challenge this policy, please go after them in court...

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/hk/...-schedule.html
Old May 12, 20, 2:38 pm

If they cancel the flight, arent they obliged to reaccommodate you on a suitably available flight? That used to be what they did, has this policy also changed?
Old May 13, 20, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX SL/BA GOLD
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
If they cancel the flight, arent they obliged to reaccommodate you on a suitably available flight? That used to be what they did, has this policy also changed?
That's what I told to the agent on the phone, and they seemed not to care anymore and told me either you paid or you complained(and you will get nothing except a canned reply).
What I can do is just waiting for a discounted fare(which I doubt will happen in the rest of the year) before end of year or Z class sold out, but I will not pay the fare diff. If the card company
cannot do anything, I will refund the ticket with penalty and issue a TPEDPS CX I class ticket instead.
Old May 13, 20, 7:11 pm

Programs: MH, AC
Originally Posted by sy7217 View Post
If the card company cannot do anything, I will refund the ticket with penalty and issue a TPEDPS CX I class ticket instead.
If you do go with CX i hope you won't be making any changes
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...e-message.html
Old May 14, 20, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by sy7217 View Post
That's what I told to the agent on the phone, and they seemed not to care anymore and told me either you paid or you complained(and you will get nothing except a canned reply).
Shocking. How can they live with themselves.
Old May 14, 20, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
or just get a refund
​​​​​​​MH wont refund, even for flights that MH has cancelled.

Search this Thread