Misleading Fly (worry) free message

Old Apr 15, 20, 7:11 am
  #1  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,503
Misleading Fly (worry) free message

Cathay has put out this "Fly (worry) free" message out on their social media platforms. To the layman, it makes it sound like you can buy a ticket today, and if you need to change your dates, you won't have to pay a cent. Of course, in the fine print, it says that fare differences are still applicable. Imagine the horror of your everyday traveller who ends up getting charged potentially huge fare differences, when those people don't understand the concept of applicable fares.

It's a really cynical ploy to try and get people to part with their money now to help prop up the airline, and then charge them again down the road.

One year. Unlimited changes. No extra charge.
If youíre trying to plan ahead, you can now book with greater peace of mind. Weíre giving you the freedom to make unlimited changes to new tickets, without extra charge.

We understand being flexible is more important now than ever Ė thatís why weíve extended this offer to all new tickets purchased up to 30 June 2020. Whatís more, you can now make unlimited changes up to a year after purchase.
And then below in a section that needs to be revealed, in language that means nothing to the casual traveller:
*Fare/ tax differences may apply, due to the fare restrictions/ conditions of your ticket.​​​​​​
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ut-charge.html
sxc is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 8:35 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: HKG
Programs: AA 3MM CK, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, GP Courtesy Card, Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 3,026
Would have been better if this promotion includes free cancellation for full refund as well on any flights booked with this promotion.. But it seems that is not the case...
percysmith and wyskevin like this.
tfung is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 8:47 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 21
Anyone know how this would be apply to a Premium Econ (E booking class) ticket? In the past I've been able to make changes for the $100 change fee and no fare difference assuming E fare class was available for the dates I want to change to. I could be wrong but I'm interpreting this "promo" as simply a waiver of the $100 change fee and historically if E class didn't charge fare difference that wouldn't apply here.....but what to I truly know. Thoughts??
TravelNYC is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 12:13 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Not a problem

The promotion makes perfect sense. If one buys a cheaper ticket with restrictions then it is quite obvious that any rebooking would be for an equivalent ticket complying with the conditions entered into at the time of booking. The promotion to make changes to one's booking without rebooking charges very helpful planning forwards. I wouldn't be anticipating too many problems. My experience so far with Cathay in the current period has been quite positive.
walkup is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 1:16 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YVR, KUL
Programs: MH, AC, AS
Posts: 1,727
Originally Posted by walkup View Post
The promotion makes perfect sense. If one buys a cheaper ticket with restrictions then it is quite obvious that any rebooking would be for an equivalent ticket complying with the conditions entered into at the time of booking. The promotion to make changes to one's booking without rebooking charges very helpful planning forwards. I wouldn't be anticipating too many problems. My experience so far with Cathay in the current period has been quite positive.
To a reasonably seasoned traveller, sure. But the average joe who can't tell the difference between a 33P and a 77H is going to get an unpleasant surprise when the fare difference is charged. To them it's still money coming out of their pockets to change a ticket, contrary to what CX seemed to be offering through this promo.
toplayer, Nicc HK, trooper and 1 others like this.
SilverChris is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 2:01 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE / HSZ
Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Posts: 5,166
Originally Posted by TravelNYC View Post
Anyone know how this would be apply to a Premium Econ (E booking class) ticket? In the past I've been able to make changes for the $100 change fee and no fare difference assuming E fare class was available for the dates I want to change to. I could be wrong but I'm interpreting this "promo" as simply a waiver of the $100 change fee and historically if E class didn't charge fare difference that wouldn't apply here.....but what to I truly know. Thoughts??
You are right - only the change fee penalty is waived. If there's a fare and tax difference, you pay for it. If there isn't, you don't need to pay anything.
toplayer and TravelNYC like this.
ernestnywang is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 5:00 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: asia miles
Posts: 377
yes they only waive the change fee but all other ticket condition remain valid, that's the catch
blandy62 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 5:54 pm
  #8  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,503
And let’s say things start getting relaxed in say October - CX isn’t going to be running a full schedule so flights are going to be more expensive due to lack of supply. So fares could end up significantly more expensive when it comes time to changing your flights.
percysmith, toplayer and trooper like this.
sxc is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 7:21 pm
  #9  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 17,258
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
And letís say things start getting relaxed in say October - CX isnít going to be running a full schedule so flights are going to be more expensive due to lack of supply. So fares could end up significantly more expensive when it comes time to changing your flights.
There really isn't much incentive to lock in now; viz, the possibility the ticket cannot be flown at all.
percysmith is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 7:37 pm
  #10  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,503
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
There really isn't much incentive to lock in now; viz, the possibility the ticket cannot be flown at all.
But......no change fees!!
Cryofern likes this.
sxc is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 7:55 pm
  #11  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 17,258
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
But......no change fees!!
Keeping my money in my wallet = no change fees too.
percysmith is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 8:00 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: asia miles
Posts: 377
Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
To a reasonably seasoned traveller, sure. But the average joe who can't tell the difference between a 33P and a 77H is going to get an unpleasant surprise when the fare difference is charged. To them it's still money coming out of their pockets to change a ticket, contrary to what CX seemed to be offering through this promo.
And if the fare difference is big and people don't wish to pay that difference, they are left with either flying at the original date or pay a cancellation fee!
blandy62 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 8:05 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Misleading speculation

Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
To a reasonably seasoned traveller, sure. But the average joe who can't tell the difference between a 33P and a 77H is going to get an unpleasant surprise when the fare difference is charged. To them it's still money coming out of their pockets to change a ticket, contrary to what CX seemed to be offering through this promo.
So then, speculating about what some may or may not read about Cathay Pacific which may or may not do. If we might just stick to some facts on the ground, my experience is that Cathay have been helpful getting flights changed and don't expect any change in that over the sales promotion. In fact, any flexibility re bookings is welcomed, particularly now I am thinking about making a booking departure for the end of the year.
walkup is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 8:11 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
And letís say things start getting relaxed in say October - CX isnít going to be running a full schedule so flights are going to be more expensive due to lack of supply. So fares could end up significantly more expensive when it comes time to changing your flights.
If one makes a ticket booking in a particular class and type, there is no reason to expect any change in price if rebooking an equivalent ticket. And no rebooking fee. That is the offer.
walkup is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 8:18 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
There really isn't much incentive to lock in now; viz, the possibility the ticket cannot be flown at all.
That depends on one's flexibility re when to fly. If the offer is in place for my planned outward and return dates, I will probably take current BC prices listed if available. Need a bit of wriggle room on the return date so will need to wait a bit.
walkup is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: