Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:11 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Misleading Fly (worry) free message

Cathay has put out this "Fly (worry) free" message out on their social media platforms. To the layman, it makes it sound like you can buy a ticket today, and if you need to change your dates, you won't have to pay a cent. Of course, in the fine print, it says that fare differences are still applicable. Imagine the horror of your everyday traveller who ends up getting charged potentially huge fare differences, when those people don't understand the concept of applicable fares.

It's a really cynical ploy to try and get people to part with their money now to help prop up the airline, and then charge them again down the road.

One year. Unlimited changes. No extra charge.
If you’re trying to plan ahead, you can now book with greater peace of mind. We’re giving you the freedom to make unlimited changes to new tickets, without extra charge.

We understand being flexible is more important now than ever – that’s why we’ve extended this offer to all new tickets purchased up to 30 June 2020. What’s more, you can now make unlimited changes up to a year after purchase.
And then below in a section that needs to be revealed, in language that means nothing to the casual traveller:
*Fare/ tax differences may apply, due to the fare restrictions/ conditions of your ticket.​​​​​​
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ut-charge.html
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Would have been better if this promotion includes free cancellation for full refund as well on any flights booked with this promotion.. But it seems that is not the case...
percysmith and wyskevin like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Anyone know how this would be apply to a Premium Econ (E booking class) ticket? In the past I've been able to make changes for the $100 change fee and no fare difference assuming E fare class was available for the dates I want to change to. I could be wrong but I'm interpreting this "promo" as simply a waiver of the $100 change fee and historically if E class didn't charge fare difference that wouldn't apply here.....but what to I truly know. Thoughts??
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:13 pm

Not a problem

The promotion makes perfect sense. If one buys a cheaper ticket with restrictions then it is quite obvious that any rebooking would be for an equivalent ticket complying with the conditions entered into at the time of booking. The promotion to make changes to one's booking without rebooking charges very helpful planning forwards. I wouldn't be anticipating too many problems. My experience so far with Cathay in the current period has been quite positive.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by walkup
The promotion makes perfect sense. If one buys a cheaper ticket with restrictions then it is quite obvious that any rebooking would be for an equivalent ticket complying with the conditions entered into at the time of booking. The promotion to make changes to one's booking without rebooking charges very helpful planning forwards. I wouldn't be anticipating too many problems. My experience so far with Cathay in the current period has been quite positive.
To a reasonably seasoned traveller, sure. But the average joe who can't tell the difference between a 33P and a 77H is going to get an unpleasant surprise when the fare difference is charged. To them it's still money coming out of their pockets to change a ticket, contrary to what CX seemed to be offering through this promo.
toplayer, Nicc HK, trooper and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by TravelNYC
Anyone know how this would be apply to a Premium Econ (E booking class) ticket? In the past I've been able to make changes for the $100 change fee and no fare difference assuming E fare class was available for the dates I want to change to. I could be wrong but I'm interpreting this "promo" as simply a waiver of the $100 change fee and historically if E class didn't charge fare difference that wouldn't apply here.....but what to I truly know. Thoughts??
You are right - only the change fee penalty is waived. If there's a fare and tax difference, you pay for it. If there isn't, you don't need to pay anything.
toplayer and TravelNYC like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: asia miles
yes they only waive the change fee but all other ticket condition remain valid, that's the catch
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

And let’s say things start getting relaxed in say October - CX isn’t going to be running a full schedule so flights are going to be more expensive due to lack of supply. So fares could end up significantly more expensive when it comes time to changing your flights.
percysmith, toplayer and trooper like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:21 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
And let’s say things start getting relaxed in say October - CX isn’t going to be running a full schedule so flights are going to be more expensive due to lack of supply. So fares could end up significantly more expensive when it comes time to changing your flights.
There really isn't much incentive to lock in now; viz, the possibility the ticket cannot be flown at all.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:37 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by percysmith
There really isn't much incentive to lock in now; viz, the possibility the ticket cannot be flown at all.
But......no change fees!!
Cryofern likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
But......no change fees!!
Keeping my money in my wallet = no change fees too.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by SilverChris
To a reasonably seasoned traveller, sure. But the average joe who can't tell the difference between a 33P and a 77H is going to get an unpleasant surprise when the fare difference is charged. To them it's still money coming out of their pockets to change a ticket, contrary to what CX seemed to be offering through this promo.
And if the fare difference is big and people don't wish to pay that difference, they are left with either flying at the original date or pay a cancellation fee!
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:05 pm

Misleading speculation

Originally Posted by SilverChris
So then, speculating about what some may or may not read about Cathay Pacific which may or may not do. If we might just stick to some facts on the ground, my experience is that Cathay have been helpful getting flights changed and don't expect any change in that over the sales promotion. In fact, any flexibility re bookings is welcomed, particularly now I am thinking about making a booking departure for the end of the year.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
If one makes a ticket booking in a particular class and type, there is no reason to expect any change in price if rebooking an equivalent ticket. And no rebooking fee. That is the offer.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
That depends on one's flexibility re when to fly. If the offer is in place for my planned outward and return dates, I will probably take current BC prices listed if available. Need a bit of wriggle room on the return date so will need to wait a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.