Wiki Posts
Search

Status Runs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Question Status Runs

Hi all,

I fly a few times a month on average, regionally in economy. Last year I just about made Silver. I'm often booked into the promo fares which credit 25% elite miles so it seems unlikely I will ever make Gold without topping up some how.

Obviously flying a few times a month, the lounge access would really ease things so was looking at status runs.

Reading up on this forum for mileage/status runs I see a lot of reference to people gaining their tier points for BA or crediting to Qantas but not that much on getting Enrich status.

I was wondering if I wanted boost my earnings by about half (e.g. from silver to gold, so 25 elite sectors or 50,000 elite miles - what are the options?

I see that KUL-Alor Setar is 253 miles so I believe should credit 1 full elite sector. 25 B2B flights would gain Gold it seems? I can't seem to find out if JB to KL 0.5 is 1 elite sector (when on MAS operated flight, not FireFly)?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by immunedata
Hi all,

I fly a few times a month on average, regionally in economy. Last year I just about made Silver. I'm often booked into the promo fares which credit 25% elite miles so it seems unlikely I will ever make Gold without topping up some how.

Obviously flying a few times a month, the lounge access would really ease things so was looking at status runs.

Reading up on this forum for mileage/status runs I see a lot of reference to people gaining their tier points for BA or crediting to Qantas but not that much on getting Enrich status.

I was wondering if I wanted boost my earnings by about half (e.g. from silver to gold, so 25 elite sectors or 50,000 elite miles - what are the options?

I see that KUL-Alor Setar is 253 miles so I believe should credit 1 full elite sector. 25 B2B flights would gain Gold it seems? I can't seem to find out if JB to KL 0.5 is 1 elite sector (when on MAS operated flight, not FireFly)?

Thanks!
The days of 0.5 credits in Y are now long gone. These days, it’s a minimum of 1. So you just do the math ...

And you will also get 1 for FY-operated flights but you need to ticket these on Mh flight numbers.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: Enrich
I would advise to achieve 50 sectors, it is easier and cheaper if you fly economy. Simply book rm99 x 50. This is how i get gold since i fly RT at least twice per month between KL and Singapore
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.
On the MAS site; for FireFly it says journeys less than 250 miles credit 0.5 elite sectors.
https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/...s/firefly.html

Looking at it all again; and with what you say, this 250 miles rule doesn't seem apply to MAS operated flights as I thought so it's a case of finding 25 legs in the sale I suppose. Would be nice hearing from anyone with advice on which airports/flight schedules are better suited to quick turnarounds or 4+ legs in a day.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:07 am

Thanks for the reply.
On the MAS site; for FireFly it says journeys less than 250 miles credit 0.5 elite sectors.

Looking at it all again; and with what you say, this 250 miles rule doesn't seem apply to MAS operated flights as I thought so it's a case of finding 25 legs in the sale I suppose. Would be nice hearing from anyone with advice on which airports/flight schedules are better suited to quick turnarounds or 4+ legs in a day.
0.5 is only valid for certain FY flights operated by FY.
You would get the full minimum 1 sector if it were an MH flight operated by FY.

Any MH intra peninsula flights will be able to satisfy the requirement to do multiple flights in a day if that floats your boat. Also, in most cases, MH flights tend to be cheaper than alternative FY-operated flights.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:31 am

Thanks for the reply.

Any MH operate flight give you one full sector, this is how I achieve gold by simply flying at least 25 RT per year in economy.

I suggest that when there is economy basic promo, then you can aim for the airport that support quick turn around and fly a few RT with less than RM 200 per trip
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
If you intend to domestic run better go for the sales fare to some random routes.

Correct me if I am wrong, any random MH flight regardless of cheapest fare to most expensive will net 1 Elite Miles right? If you go by miles will super expensive (I think this was answered by dici at above post)

The amount of sales they are doing now is almost on daily basis. Probably you can score few cheap flights along the way provided they dont get chopped due to lack of load

Just being curious, on peak routes. Does the priority boarding line have super duper long queues? That happens for JL when the "Priority Line" for OW Emerald/Sapphire is super long, even for their domestic flight loll
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by minizian

Just being curious, on peak routes. Does the priority boarding line have super duper long queues? That happens for JL when the "Priority Line" for OW Emerald/Sapphire is super long, even for their domestic flight loll
Well, on MH - domestic flights are virtually all operated by 738s - so there are only so many priority boarders that can fit into a 738 unlike JAL where you do get widebodies operating domestics.
However, on MH - Enrich Silver (OW Ruby) are also accorded priority boarding - so that's where the extra crowd usually originates
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:03 am

If you intend to domestic run better go for the sales fare to some random routes.

Correct me if I am wrong, any random MH flight regardless of cheapest fare to most expensive will net 1 Elite Miles right? If you go by miles will super expensive (I think this was answered by dici at above post)
Yup, a 25-minute flight for MYR70 to KUA will net you the same 1 Elite Sector (not MIles!) as a MYR 2000 13 hour marathon to LHR.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:18 am

The amount of sales they are doing now is almost on daily basis. Probably you can score few cheap flights along the way provided they dont get chopped due to lack of load

Just clarify, there is an Elite Sector and Elite Miles. You earn at least 1 Elite sector on all the type of MH operated flight, even on the lowest fare. But you earn different rate of Elite Miles, which usually same as the rate of enrich miles earn thru the fare without status bonus

However, if you buy any OW operated flights, you won't earn elite sector if the class fare does not earn you any enrich miles. I learned this after I bought a few cheap AA ticket...

But sometimes they might give you 2 Elite sector for economy class via accidentally
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Zawnet
Well, on MH - domestic flights are virtually all operated by 738s - so there are only so many priority boarders that can fit into a 738 unlike JAL where you do get widebodies operating domestics.
However, on MH - Enrich Silver (OW Ruby) are also accorded priority boarding - so that's where the extra crowd usually originates
I found that priority check in is the best perk as compare to priority boarding. Since smaller domestic airport may only have one economy and one biz check in counter. Usually the boarding area is a chaos queue in these domestic airport during peak travel period, which defeat the priority boarding
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:27 am

Yup, a 25-minute flight for MYR70 to KUA will net you the same 1 Elite Sector (not MIles!) as a MYR 2000 13 hour marathon to LHR.
Originally Posted by dici
Just clarify, there is an Elite Sector and Elite Miles. You earn at least 1 Elite sector on all the type of MH operated flight, even on the lowest fare. But you earn different rate of Elite Miles, which usually same as the rate of enrich miles earn thru the fare without status bonus

However, if you buy any OW operated flights, you won't earn elite sector if the class fare does not earn you any enrich miles. I learned this after I bought a few cheap AA ticket...

But sometimes they might give you 2 Elite sector for economy class via accidentally
Thank you for the clarification

well understood regarding the difference distinction about elite miles and elite points.

I also had same thing when I had domestic flight using JL FFP. I think it was booked via agent on the lowest fare bucket and I got nothing in return. Just using it so I can gain access to golden lounge and using Business Class check in counter. I also notice they tend to block a empty seat (Flight were not full) beside me too as I went with my colleague and notice we were spaced apart with empty seat in between not sure I just lucky or what?

Only higher MH fare bucket do qualify for FOP (Jal version of Elite Miles) which is quite expensive (same applies for CX and other OW airlines), even if its possible will be significantly dumb down in accumulated pts (eg MH will earn 80% while if under JMB will be only 30%). Mostly I see on MH web-page were all of those lower fare bucket which does not help much if I were to mileage run with JL card.

I better off doing MH miles run instead.

I found that priority check in is the best perk as compare to priority boarding. Since smaller domestic airport may only have one economy and one biz check in counter. Usually the boarding area is a chaos queue in these domestic airport during peak travel period, which defeat the priority boarding
Isnt MH sometime does allow other pax to use biz check in counter if the queue were long or some pax were acting smart before being shoo away by ground staff on smaller airport?

Is it me or normally locals dont really follow boarding procedure? Since I am usually the last to board and I tend to see long queue was formed right after boarding announcement was made. Sucks to be last on board on 737 where space overhead my seat was taken by other pax. and I had put my luggage elsewhere.

Its amazing seeing how orderly the boarding in JL 777 (500 seater) in their domestic flights swiftly and take off on time on peak days literally fast and furious and they really really enforce the boarding procedure
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:50 pm

Isnt MH sometime does allow other pax to use biz check in counter if the queue were long or some pax were acting smart before being shoo away by ground staff on smaller airport?

Is it me or normally locals dont really follow boarding procedure? Since I am usually the last to board and I tend to see long queue was formed right after boarding announcement was made. Sucks to be last on board on 737 where space overhead my seat was taken by other pax. and I had put my luggage elsewhere.

Its amazing seeing how orderly the boarding in JL 777 (500 seater) in their domestic flights swiftly and take off on time on peak days literally fast and furious and they really really enforce the boarding procedure
I couldn't recall if they allow economy pax to queue in biz check in row, but it is very norm that the biz counter will also take care of economy check in. Actually, if MH staff office is right beside the check in counter, the staff will also help in check in via the machine located inside their counter when it is extremely peak period. I have seen this in Alor Setar airport during the CNY period.

As for boarding, you can assume that majority of passengers in domestic are not so frequent flyer, which does not realize on all these priority boarding due to status. But at least it is better in nowadays that they know how to queue!

In Japan is different story, basically due to their natural personality and culture
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:51 am

I couldn't recall if they allow economy pax to queue in biz check in row, but it is very norm that the biz counter will also take care of economy check in. Actually, if MH staff office is right beside the check in counter, the staff will also help in check in via the machine located inside their counter when it is extremely peak period. I have seen this in Alor Setar airport during the CNY period.
That was so nice of them, i always had impression they usually just stuck doing their assigned task and not go beyond call of duty to make everyone life better. Eg I was super late for my flight (they were boarding when I was in check in counter) but they ground staff still proceed to check me in after nagged/lecture by her consequences of being late and "you never ever do it again"

As for boarding, you can assume that majority of passengers in domestic are not so frequent flyer, which does not realize on all these priority boarding due to status. But at least it is better in nowadays that they know how to queue!
My experience LGK, BKK, KCH route are quite crazy from my experience, maybe cos its touristy route that why?

In Japan is different story, basically due to their natural personality and culture
Sure they are but they are super strict and follow by the book to death (not flexi like Malaysian in general) unless during typhoon and many flight were cancelled (my non refund/rebook ticket were changed without issue after explain it to manager in charge.)
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:12 am
Original Poster

I suggest that when there is economy basic promo, then you can aim for the airport that support quick turn around and fly a few RT with less than RM 200 per trip
This sounds like what I will do to top up to 50 sectors for the year.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which airport supports a quick turn around? I.e. which airports you don’t have to go landslide and go through security again to do a back2back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.