Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crackjack
Here’s MH’s current official position as advised to the public:
https://askmh.malaysiaairlines.com/f...language=en_US

Originally Posted by AskMH, as of Mar 25, 2022
If I'm travelling multiple sectors, can I check-in my baggage to the final destination?
Yes, as long as you are holding a single PNR.

For flights on oneworld member airlines, Malaysia Airlines still allows passengers to check-through to a final destination with baggage even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings provided the travel begins with Malaysia Airlines. Please note that this may not be possible on your return journey if travel begins with another oneworld member airline that chooses to adhere to the new oneworld obligation. Certain oneworld and code-share flights allow our passengers to check-through while some do not. Please confirm the status of your ticket at the check-in counter.

For those who are wondering how it's done in Amadeus Altea, here is a video someone at MH took of their training session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbtQvMphGI

In this video they show how to add "inbound" flights and "outbound" flights to the check-in record.

Print Wikipost

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:02 am

MH to MH tickets have always been supported.

However, you get no misconnection protection if it’s two separate tickets. You miss the flight from KUL-XXX or even the return KUL-CGK due to their delaying the flight into KUL, you’d be SOL per the T&Cs, and have to pay whatever extra cost to go on another flight or cancel the ticket, if that.
(Would travel insurance cover for that?)

At the same time, you can always ask nicely at the transit desk at KUL airport if it happens and see what they say...

Last edited by crackjack; Jul 17, 2018 at 4:18 am
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: Gold amb, krisflyer, Garuda, Accor Plus, MH Enrich
Originally Posted by crackjack
MH to MH tickets have always been supported.

However, you get no misconnection protection if it’s two separate tickets. You miss the flight from KUL-XXX or even the return KUL-CGK due to their delaying the flight into KUL, you’d be SOL per the T&Cs, and have to pay whatever extra cost to go on another flight or cancel the ticket, if that.
(Would travel insurance cover for that?)

At the same time, you can always ask nicely at the transit desk at KUL airport if it happens and see what they say...

thanks much. I assume 2 hour layover outbound should be enough, no? 2 separate tickets, but same airlines
3 hour in bound layover between flights
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:11 am

In general, 2 hours should be fine: Minimum connection time for KUL is 1hour, so it’s definitely legal.

At the same time, it will really depend on your flight (and day/date), and a delay could still happen on any flight due any number of unforeseen issues.

In general, it seems earlier flights from CGK tend to have less of a delay on average, while those in the afternoon & evening seem to average ~40min delays with greater potential for longer delays the later the flight is... You can look at flightstat’s ‘on-time performance’ data for an idea for your specific flight.

Personally, I’ve done flights on separate tickets leaving regional cities with transit times closer to the MCT than 2hrs. I have been burned on a LON-KUL flight which got delayed by 1:30, yet I still do it knowing the risks (knock-on-wood).

Coming back to the thread topic, i.e. checked baggage across the two tickets, not sure how MH would handle it if the second flight is missed... the checked bag would have been accepted by MH for a CGK-KUL-XXX trip or vice versa, so still in the system and still tagged... *shrug*

Last edited by crackjack; Jul 19, 2018 at 4:09 am
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:21 pm

In general, 2 hours should be fine: Minimum connection time for KUL is 1hour, so it’s definitely legal.

At the same time, it will really depend on your flight (and day/date), and a delay could still happen on any flight due any number of unforeseen issues.

In general, it seems earlier flights from CGK tend to have less of a delay on average, while those in the afternoon & evening seem to average ~40min delays with greater potential for longer delays the later the flight is... You can look at flightstat’s ‘on-time performance’ data for an idea for your specific flight.

Personally, I’ve done flights on separate tickets leaving regional cities with transit times closer to the MCT than 2hrs. I have been burned on a LON-KUL flight which got delayed by 1:30, yet I still do it knowing the risks (knock-on-wood).

Coming back to the thread topic, i.e. checked baggage across the two tickets, not sure how MH would handle it if the second flight is missed... the checked bag would have been accepted by MH for a CGK-KUL-XXX trip or vice versa, so still in the system and still tagged... *shrug*

Thank you the flight out of CGK is the earliest MH 726 leaving CGK at 0425 am. i think i will roll the dice. considering many other passengers take connecting flight, I expect MH has every reasons to keep this flight on time (I myself have taken this flight onwards to LHR many times). So I hope 2 hours should be enough

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...ing/MH/726/CGK

Thanks much
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:27 pm

I've taken 726 maybe 3-4 dozen times. It has never been late in those times i rode. The plane comes in as 727 the night before, and the crew is from the previous day's 713 IIRC. Without any tech issues it usually runs very smoothly.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:57 pm

Have a good trip; you should be fine, especially with TGFG's knowledge (barring, say... a volcano erupting... *knock-on-wood*).

Now, if you were talking about the late-night MH 724, on the other hand...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:05 am

thank you all

booked cgk-kul vv, kul-ktm vv
outbound 2 hour layover, in bound 4 hours layover

prayin it would work. am taking z class on all segments (on promo), by doing this i saved about 45% vs doing cgk-kul-ktm vv, as the biz class somehow bumped to M if I do the latter (and makes the z class the same price of eco cgk-kul-ktm vv)

am so excited. never been to Nepal. thanks much
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by kaffir76
Does anyone have recent experience with MH interlining checked baggage to Star Alliance carriers e.g SQ / TG?
The last time I tried was last year & it was done w/o any issues.
Thanks!
Update today - not able to check thru' from MH73-SQ119 (HKG-KUL-SIN) on 2 separate PNR

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Depends on how lenient the check-in agent is. It's easier at outports, I find.
Not in HKG I guess, no problem in SIN/KUL

Hmmm, interesting... looks like MH changed their policy on interlining baggage across separate tickets in Jan this year?
Not sure how they’d be able to control the activities of the code-shared partners’ check-in agents (per that second point above, “MH flight number on codeshare partners connecting with ...”), but this would definitely have been useful for the NRT-KUL(MH) -> KUL-SIN (MI-metal, MH-coded) connection I did a while ago.
Good to know, thanks.
I should be more careful with interlining on 2 separate PNR, something which I used to take for granted when it was MH/SQ.
(I'm done with QR & OZ GOLD renewal for the next membership year i.e. 2019/2020 so I won't be traveling much the rest of the year anyways)

I have a 2hr layover in KUL barring any delays ex HKG, & the weather seems all right today compared to 2 weeks ago so fingers crossed ^
Just a hassle (and me being lazy) to exit KLIA immigration & re check the bags .. which are stuffed with Wing Wah mooncakes ... (for Mom & friends, not me)
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76
Update today - not able to check thru' from MH73-SQ119 (HKG-KUL-SIN) on 2 separate PNR

I should be more careful with interlining on 2 separate PNR, something which I used to take for granted when it was MH/SQ.
(I'm done with QR & OZ GOLD renewal for the next membership year i.e. 2019/2020 so I won't be traveling much the rest of the year anyways)

I have a 2hr layover in KUL barring any delays ex HKG, & the weather seems all right today compared to 2 weeks ago so fingers crossed ^
Just a hassle (and me being lazy) to exit KLIA immigration & re check the bags .. which are stuffed with Wing Wah mooncakes ... (for Mom & friends, not me)

It's not really clear in the way they worded the FAQ response, but, given that SQ is technically a "codeshare partner" (i.e. they codeshare with MH, at least on certain flights) it seems that the below may have been applicable:

https://mhcare.malaysiaairlines.com/...language=en_US
MH flight number on codeshare partners connecting with flights operated by code share partners.
  • Kuala Lumpur > MH/MH* > Amsterdam > KL > Copenhagen
*Operated by KLM (KL), non-oneworld codeshare partner.
The way this is listed (red text) seems to suggest two options for the first ticket's leg: that this can be either/or in terms of the first flight being MH-operated/-coded vs being an MH-coded, partner-operated one. The only issue is the text in blue does not state that...

(And mooncakes... that's definitely some precious cargo! )
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
A few things to note (esp. transiting in KLIA) is that checked bags might take a while, it's not the more efficient of airports but when you flight is sharing the same baggage carousel as an A380 that landed from London, that's when tight connections might go wrong.
The Business/First class passengers line at immigration / passport control was empty but 10-15 pax deep for the APEC/Diplomat line. Apparently they were in town to attend some convention.

I made it with an hour to spare but after all that walking back & from the Satellite terminal, I thought it'd be nice to take a shower at the PP lounge b4 my flight to SIN but it was full and the next available slot was 20 mins. b4 my scheduled dep.
So yeah ... I'll definitely keep that in mind the next time I route via KUL
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Any recent KUL experience ?

Purchased a MH ticket KUL-SIN to connect to my BR flight SIN-TPE (separate ticket) next month. I have 2h15 min at SIN. Any chance that MH @ KUL will check my bag to TPE?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:28 pm

Pretty sure BR is not a ‘codeshare partner’ of MH. Hence, following would likely apply:
https://mhcare.malaysiaairlines.com/...language=en_US

Through check-in of baggage to final destination is NOT available on the following flight connections:

Between MH and non-oneworld partners / Between MH and non-codeshare partners.
Kuala Lumpur > MH > Paris > LH* > Frankfurt
Kuala Lumpur > MH >Sydney > NZ** > Auckland
Kuala Lumpur > MH > Shanghai > MU***> Xiamen

* Lufthansa
** Air New Zealand
*** China Eastern
Still, 2hrs in SIN is more than enough time, given how efficient Changi is.

You also may want to check at the SIN forum: I don’t know for certain anymore, but SIN transit desks used to be able to locate and check bags through without you needing to go through immigration and collect them yourself. See the following post on this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29769605-post18.html

Last edited by crackjack; Sep 26, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Doesn’t hurt asking. Some agents are more helpful than others.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:19 pm

Agreed, the worst that happens is that they say no.

Still, it’d be very unlikely at KLIA itself (others have mentioned more lenient practices in outstations).

MH603 is unlikely to be too late, so SK AAR shouldn’t worry too much on that.

Still, for ease of mind, I’d suggest checking with the Singapore forum, or email Changi airport directly, on whether transfer of bags at BR’s airside transit desk is possible, to have a clear idea on the chance that one would go to T3 airside and gets told ‘no’ there, and then have to backtrack to T2 to clear immigration and pick up bags personally, before again heading back to T3 landside.

(Just another point, EVA’s check-in appears to be open until 30mins before the flight, according to Changi’s site...)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Thank you for the comments - highly appreciated. I'm indeed on MH603.

Last year the check-in agents at HKT had no issues checking my bag to final destination with a TK ticket from KUL (MH HKT-KUL and TK KUL-IST-CPH) - admittedly it was TG agents on behalf on MH and we all know how good TG agents are at checking bags to final destination when on separate tickets. Hence my question whether MH check-in agents at KLIA are lenient in the same way or more strict/tend follow the rules quoted above.

Anyway, even if it is a "No go" it shouldn't ruin anything and still have plenty of time to make it to check-in for my BR flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.