Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crackjack
Heres MHs current official position as advised to the public:
https://askmh.malaysiaairlines.com/f...language=en_US

Originally Posted by AskMH, as of Mar 25, 2022
If I'm travelling multiple sectors, can I check-in my baggage to the final destination?
Yes, as long as you are holding a single PNR.

For flights on oneworld member airlines, Malaysia Airlines still allows passengers to check-through to a final destination with baggage even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings provided the travel begins with Malaysia Airlines. Please note that this may not be possible on your return journey if travel begins with another oneworld member airline that chooses to adhere to the new oneworld obligation. Certain oneworld and code-share flights allow our passengers to check-through while some do not. Please confirm the status of your ticket at the check-in counter.

For those who are wondering how it's done in Amadeus Altea, here is a video someone at MH took of their training session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbtQvMphGI

In this video they show how to add "inbound" flights and "outbound" flights to the check-in record.

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 25, 2016, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

Yes there are several threads on this topic already but I thought if we could put this up on a sticky, that new threads wouldn't come up every few months...

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/e...n/counter.html

Through check-in for guests holding separate tickets

You can now perform through check-in over the counter if you’re travelling on separate tickets on the following flights operated by Malaysia Airlines (MH) connecting with our Oneworld or codeshare partner carriers, eg EK. With this facility, you’ll enjoy the convenience of having your bags checked through to your final destination when you check in.
Separate ticket check-in requirements for oneworld multi-sector journey

Effective 1 June 2016, [other] Oneworld alliance members are not obligated to offer through check in services for passengers and their baggage to their final destination when they travel on separate tickets on separate bookings. This means that if you have chosen to purchase two or more separate tickets on separate bookings for travel with one or more oneworld carriers, you may have to check yourself and your baggage in again at the end of each sector.

Malaysia Airlines will however, continue to through check-in passengers and baggage to their final destination for travel on one or more oneworld carriers where travel begins with Malaysia Airlines, even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings. Please note that this may not be possible on your return journey if travel begins with another oneworld member airline that chooses to adhere to the new oneworld obligation.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Wonder why they had they change of heart? They will get my business back now!
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:00 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This is one good move by MH. A relief for me too as I have a separate ticket coming up (albeit MH-MH) that I can check through and save me the hassle of collecting the bags in KUL.

Hopefully this is a sign that this one good benefit from OW will start to see their mistake of removing this benefit from alliance wide especially protecting passengers when the incoming OW carrier is delay and causes a misconnect to a separate OW carrier.

Cheers!
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nldogbert
This is one good move by MH. A relief for me too as I have a separate ticket coming up (albeit MH-MH) that I can check through and save me the hassle of collecting the bags in KUL.

Hopefully this is a sign that this one good benefit from OW will start to see their mistake of removing this benefit from alliance wide especially protecting passengers when the incoming OW carrier is delay and causes a misconnect to a separate OW carrier.

Cheers!
It also provides with convenience. When connecting between different OW carrier involved, it would normally be an international transit, asking a pax to collect the baggage and re-checkin will involve custom clearance and visa issues. I will add 30-90 minutes of transit time while check in agent would actually fix this in 30 seconds.

We had to book a proper hotel at CMB for our 8 hour transit arriving 2am plus return taxi while otherwise we could have booked the transit hotel which would cost only a third and so much easier.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:03 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
But the problem is your return flight will have a problem.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
For MH to Europe interlining is really a requirement as MH dropped flights to all but LHR

Since late June have had sucessful interlining from BKK (checkin is staffed by Thaiair) and MNL checkins.
I was not aware of MH relaxing interlining stance, but was always hopeful of interlining if not starting (checking in luggagge) in KUL, and fearful of any KUL checkins

BKK airport - MH BKK-KUL-LHR ++ BA LHR-AMS

MNL airport - MH BKK-KUL-LHR ++ BA LHR-AMS ++ KLM AMS-TXL
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:06 pm

Wondering if I will run into problems with this. Going DCA-JFK on AA and then JFK-HKG-KUL on CX (one ticket) and KUL-PNH on MH on a second ticket. It seems like CX and MH will play nice, but will AA be willing to check my bag all the way to PNH? If not, would it be advisable to get AA to just check my bag to JFK and then recheck with CX at JFK (is that even possible?)?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by amdgnyc
Wondering if I will run into problems with this. Going DCA-JFK on AA and then JFK-HKG-KUL on CX (one ticket) and KUL-PNH on MH on a second ticket. It seems like CX and MH will play nice, but will AA be willing to check my bag all the way to PNH? If not, would it be advisable to get AA to just check my bag to JFK and then recheck with CX at JFK (is that even possible?)?
Considering its so many sectors... I would just ask AA to check to JFK, and then from JFK to PNH with CX/MH knowing full well that CX WILL thru check to MH. Better than coming out at KUL and then rechecking in if AA will not check to JFK only.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:10 pm

This is more an AA question, rather than a MH issue. Interlining of bags on separate tickets (actually, separate PNRs) depends on the first airline which does the tagging.

Unfortunately, AA has also removed its interlining allowances for separate tickets along with most OW airlines, read the wiki here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2016-a.html

CX had decided much earlier that they would not manage interlining of bags through separate tickets except between Cathay Pacific & Cathay Dragon.

Sadly, it appears you may need to exit at KUL, pick up your bags, and recheck them...

[Edit]Actually, scratch that; it appears CX is now allowing interlining on separate PNRs again, so it seems your best bet will indeed be to check-in at JFK again with CX (rather than AA).

(I should know better than to disagree with Guy Betsy! )

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27638488-post284.html

Originally Posted by happyshanzhui
From CX's website:

Enjoy through-check benefits when you are travelling on separate tickets
We listened to your feedback and we are pleased that we are revising our previous through-check policy.

Starting from 1 January 2017, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon as a courtesy will once again through-check you and your baggage to your final destination if you are travelling on separate tickets. This means you no longer have to collect at arrival and check in your baggage again with your connecting carrier, thus allowing you to enjoy a smoother travel connection with our airline partners. You will still be subject to local passenger security or customs policies.

However, through-check may not be possible if your travel begins with an airline that does not provide a separate ticket through-check service. Please contact your originating airline directly for more details.

Passengers with connecting itineraries booked on a single ticket or connecting between Cathay Pacific Group-operated flights will be through-checked to their final destination.

Please visit our travel information page for more details.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by crackjack; Jan 2, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Considering its so many sectors... I would just ask AA to check to JFK, and then from JFK to PNH with CX/MH knowing full well that CX WILL thru check to MH. Better than coming out at KUL and then rechecking in if AA will not check to JFK only.
Thank you and crackjack for your help! I knew AA may have some issues given their recent change of policy, but I think your advice of rechecking in at JFK is the best bet. Here's hoping my bag reaches PNH!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
If your DCA-JFK-HKG-KUL is on one ticket, I don't know if AA will short-check it to JFK unless your layover in JFK exceeds 8 or 10 hours.

And if it's on one ticket, sometimes AA can't check it to KUL if you have a long layover in HKG.

Having that said, if you are only checked to KUL, you can always go to the CX desk in JFK or HKG (I'd try both desks) and ask them to tag it to your final destination. More often than not, CX can re-tag the bag
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
If your DCA-JFK-HKG-KUL is on one ticket, I don't know if AA will short-check it to JFK unless your layover in JFK exceeds 8 or 10 hours.

And if it's on one ticket, sometimes AA can't check it to KUL if you have a long layover in HKG.

Having that said, if you are only checked to KUL, you can always go to the CX desk in JFK or HKG (I'd try both desks) and ask them to tag it to your final destination. More often than not, CX can re-tag the bag
Yeah good point...I guess I will find out at DCA if AA wants to cooperate! Only 3-4 hours at each stop so no long layovers.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Yes but depends on final destination...ie HKT, USM get transferred through and customs formalities will be done there. TG will advise upon arrival in BKK that you do not need to collect bag.

TG will interline with MH. No problems.
So we are planning to fly in J from KUL to CDG with MH. From SIN, planning to buy $42SGD MAS flight to KUL. Will MH interline with TG all the way to CDG? Or should we disembark in KUL and then check in with TG?

I think MAS only allows 30kg for economy passengers. Our luggage is usually maxed to 32 kg as per Star Gold allowance.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So we are planning to fly in J from KUL to CDG with MH. From SIN, planning to buy $42SGD MAS flight to KUL.
To clarify, you're flying KUL-SIN on MH, then KUL-CDG on a seperate ticket with TG?

Will MH interline with TG all the way to CDG? Or should we disembark in KUL and then check in with TG?

I think MAS only allows 30kg for economy passengers. Our luggage is usually maxed to 32 kg as per Star Gold allowance.
Officially, MH will only do so for separate tickets if the onward flight is operated by a OW carrier. In practice, YMMV.

2kg over the limit should be fine. Not sure what you mean by maxing out the *G limit at 32kg, though. Since you're a *G member on TG J, shouldn't it be 60kg (40+20)?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by SilverChris
To clarify, you're flying KUL-SIN on MH, then KUL-CDG on a seperate ticket with TG?

Officially, MH will only do so for separate tickets if the onward flight is operated by a OW carrier. In practice, YMMV.

2kg over the limit should be fine. Not sure what you mean by maxing out the *G limit at 32kg, though. Since you're a *G member on TG J, shouldn't it be 60kg (40+20)?
I was just thinking - if he bought a MH-marketed ticket on SQ metal (if the timing fits and MH is still offering the SGD44 tix on SQ and MI as well), would he have less of a hassle seeing that SQ is the operating carrier (which seems to matter more on *A) and get the bags to interline all the way to CDG (seeing how SQ seems to be very flexible about it?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.