Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Official Policy on Checking bags on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crackjack
Heres MHs current official position as advised to the public:
https://askmh.malaysiaairlines.com/f...language=en_US

Originally Posted by AskMH, as of Mar 25, 2022
If I'm travelling multiple sectors, can I check-in my baggage to the final destination?
Yes, as long as you are holding a single PNR.

For flights on oneworld member airlines, Malaysia Airlines still allows passengers to check-through to a final destination with baggage even if the sectors are ticketed separately on separate bookings provided the travel begins with Malaysia Airlines. Please note that this may not be possible on your return journey if travel begins with another oneworld member airline that chooses to adhere to the new oneworld obligation. Certain oneworld and code-share flights allow our passengers to check-through while some do not. Please confirm the status of your ticket at the check-in counter.

For those who are wondering how it's done in Amadeus Altea, here is a video someone at MH took of their training session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbtQvMphGI

In this video they show how to add "inbound" flights and "outbound" flights to the check-in record.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2024 | 12:48 am
a_k
40 Countries Visited

Programs: AY+ Plat, BT VIP, TK Elite
Will MH through-check to PG on separate tickets? I am trying to book KUL-BKK-CNX but the flights are no longer found on the MH website even though there is an MH codeshare number for the PG flight.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 10:26 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by a_k
Will MH through-check to PG on separate tickets? I am trying to book KUL-BKK-CNX but the flights are no longer found on the MH website even though there is an MH codeshare number for the PG flight.
The official policy is still current. You might get an agent who goes above and beyond for non-OW onward travel, but I'd still plan for a no.
crackjack, DiamondMile and a_k like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 11:02 am
a_k
40 Countries Visited

Originally Posted by SilverChris
The official policy is still current. You might get an agent who goes above and beyond for non-OW onward travel, but I'd still plan for a no.
Thanks for the info. Really strange that the itinerary has completely vanished from the website and OTAs return errors when trying to pull up the fares, especially considering that yesterday MH coincidentally published a Facebook post promoting CNX!
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 12:35 pm
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by a_k
Thanks for the info. Really strange that the itinerary has completely vanished from the website and OTAs return errors when trying to pull up the fares, especially considering that yesterday MH coincidentally published a Facebook post promoting CNX!
Could have something to do with MH launching CNX.
Old Apr 3, 2024 | 1:41 pm
a_k
40 Countries Visited

Could have something to do with MH launching CNX.
That was a good point, but if I search for later in the year once the route has commenced, fares for both MH direct KUL-CNX and MH-PG as KUL-BKK-CNX show up. Seems like a bug preventing bookings over the next few months. Anyways, a bit OT now for this thread.
Old Jun 13, 2024 | 7:54 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: LH HON
MH + SQ luggage check through

I have LGK-KUL-SIN on one ticket and onward SIN-SYD on another ticket. Can MH in LGK check my luggage through to SYD. Or do I have to do immigration process in SIN and collect luggage in SIN?
Old Jun 13, 2024 | 8:34 am
40 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

No check through - separate ticket, separate alliance.

https://www.askmh.malaysiaairlines.c...al-destination

And most likely separate terminal as well.
Old Jun 13, 2024 | 9:32 am
10 Years on Site

Existing thread on this:

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
No check through - separate ticket, separate alliance.

https://www.askmh.malaysiaairlines.c...al-destination
The wording on their check-in info page is a tad different though. It seems to suggest that separate tickets on "codeshare partners" are acceptable, which would include SQ.
https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/hq/...unter-check-in

I would still ask at check-in, even for non-OW. Functionally, there's no difference as long as an interline agreement exists, so it really comes down to the agent's helpfulness/interpretation of the rules.
Old Jun 13, 2024 | 5:49 pm
40 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

The wording on their check-in info page is a tad different though. It seems to suggest that separate tickets on "codeshare partners" are acceptable, which would include SQ.

I would still ask at check-in, even for non-OW. Functionally, there's no difference as long as an interline agreement exists, so it really comes down to the agent's helpfulness/interpretation of the rules.
Codeshare partners would intuitively mean MH-coded and partner-operated flights on the same PNR... which this is not. It might be down to how far the agent wishes to take initiative, but in recent years, MH has wisened up not to subsume additional liability for checking through luggage on a separate ticket that they don't earn revenue for nor part of an alliance with.
Old Jun 13, 2024 | 8:31 pm
10 Years on Site

[EDIT] Hmm, reread that check-in page again, and it does indeed include the MH flight number on codeshare partners connecting with flights operated by code share partners. section, wit the example of MH > KL00X operated by KLM.

At the same time, this was the exact older wording they updated in the FAQ in 2018, before they then revised it to the current AskMH FAQ answer in 2022, so I would still take it with a grain of salt

Also, see here an example where a FTer was even rejected in 2018 for a MH -> SQ interlining (starting at HKG), and this was on a KUL-SIN SQ flight which even had codesharing as an option

Definitely doesnt hurt to ask, and SEA-based agents are more likely to agree to such requests.

But as the request could easily also be declined, a traveler should ensure any entry requirements - for Singapore in this case - are met as well as ensuring sufficient time between flights to exit, grab & recheck bags and re-enter at the connecting airport at SIN, that is usually fairly straightforward and can easily be done with 2-3 hours transit time, if the incoming flight is not delayed.

Last edited by crackjack; Jun 13, 2024 at 9:50 pm
Old Jun 14, 2024 | 12:03 am
10 Years on Site

Codeshare partners would intuitively mean MH-coded and partner-operated flights on the same PNR... which this is not.
This was all mentioned under the header for separate tickets, so of course it wouldn't be on the same PNR. In any case it would be relatively rare to hold an onward ticket for a standalone MH-marketed, OAL-operated segment. The wording is ambiguous enough to chance it at the check-in counter, IMO.

It might be down to how far the agent wishes to take initiative, but in recent years, MH has wisened up not to subsume additional liability for checking through luggage on a separate ticket that they don't earn revenue for nor part of an alliance with.
Except MH isn't automatically on the hook for mishandled interline bags, just because they accepted and tagged it through. It's standard practice for the final carrier to be the one liable for compensating the passenger. They could in theory go after the upline carrier that caused the mishandling but it's not always a clear-cut case. It generally balances out to a degree that it's quite rare for airlines to go after one another for these claims.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.