Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Gold Medallion, United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by marble
I've been following this story with interest and what is confusing me is the point of 'lost contact'. It was initially reported at 2:40am, but then that was changed to 1:30am (with the 2:40am being the time at which ATC reported it to the airline).

The new rumour seems to be that contact really was lost at 2:40 as originally reported (but in a completely different place). Was this new rumour made to 'fit' the original report?
Discussed here:

Okay, so with this information about the plane...

and here:

Here's a straight-line path between the...

The 0130 loss of radar contact/turn-around point is based on the loss of secondary radar (SSR) response from the plane.

The 0240 loss of radar contact of from primary military radar at RMAF Butterworth which apparently tracked the plane's turn and then lost contact when the plane was over Pulau Perak (in the Strait of Malacca).

An additional comment:

I'm not a pilot (so perhaps one could chime in), but looking at some of the emergency procedures, for an aircraft which has suffered a casualty and lost communications with ATC (which appears to be the case here (or at least a plausible case)) changing altitude and deviating course from an approved air route seem like the correct procedures.

This should alert the ATC and military to attempt to contact the stricken plane and/or intercept it to investigate.

My speculation is that because the military radar operator (and possibly chain of command) did not take the correct action to intercept (i.e. investigate to identify and evaluate, not shoot down) the unknown contact flying over Malaysia which was not on an air route, not squawking, and likely not responding to radio queries, they don't want to admit that the aircraft could have been identified and possibly helped (or at least tracked). But rather, my speculation is because the military at Butterworth did not intercept the plane, but rather just tracked it until it departed Malaysian air space at Pulau Perak, only later did they make the connection (based on the lost contact turn-around point) that the unknown contract they tracked was possibly MH370.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, CX Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MANman
do you want to tell us what it is?
It's quite long, which is why I didn't quote it. Didn't realize it needed a login to view, since I'm always logged into Quora, so my apologies.

He walks through the different types of emergency transponders on board, how they operate and what types of events trigger them automatically, false positives that sometimes occur, and some speculations on what could potentially disable them.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
There's a 1 hour timezone change
Yeah, I remember there was much confusion around timezones until UTC was adopted. However the first statement was quite clear, but perhaps incorrect?
Subang Air Traffic Control reported that it lost contact at 2.40am (local Malaysia time) today.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AardvarkSweeperguy
Discussed here:

My speculation is that because the military radar operator (and possibly chain of command) did not take the correct action to intercept (i.e. investigate to identify and evaluate, not shoot down) the unknown contact flying over Malaysia which was not on an air route, not squawking, and likely not responding to radio queries, they don't want to admit that the aircraft could have been identified and possibly helped (or at least tracked). But rather, my speculation is because the military at Butterworth did not intercept the plane, but rather just tracked it until it departed Malaysian air space at Pulau Perak, only later did they make the connection (based on the lost contact turn-around point) that the unknown contract they tracked was possibly MH370.
Or that someone made up a nice rumor about all of this radar tracking by Butterworth, and that the original story of the Malaysian military, that they recorded a possible turnback after losing contact but then no additional radar coverage, is the most likely story.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by joejet
It does look like 2 ships 2 me but saw this gif that's as posted on the cnn comments

As per cnn post by tll74

I made an animated gif with an overlay of an intact 777: cmd0.com/images/plane.gif
Report violation
They've made engine #1 bigger than #2... why?

In my opinion:
    Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex, HH Gold
    MH370 [772] KUL-PEK Missing ~1730 GMT 7 Mar 2014: SAR Underway [READ WIKI FIRST]

Probably unlikely given that it appears that no sources have picked up any flashes/explosions , no wreckage found, no sightings etc - although it has happened before with the Iran air flight 655 incident (flight not responding to military requests for identification and incorrectly assumed to be hostile and shot down) so, like all other theories , until we know more then you can't rule anything out
    Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by joejet
    It does look like 2 ships 2 me but saw this gif that's as posted on the cnn comments

As per cnn post by tll74

I made an animated gif with an overlay of an intact 777: cmd0.com/images/plane.gif
    Report violation
    Wasn't this image taken at something like 3:45 am and wouldn't the ocean look basically black at that time of day? These look like clouds to me.
    Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
    MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 12 - xx Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE #2

Also worthy of note:

Adding to the confusion, Tengku Sariffuddin Tengku Ahmad, spokesman for the prime minister’s office, said in a telephone interview that he had checked with senior military officials, who told him there was no evidence that the plane had recrossed the Malaysian peninsula, only that it may have attempted to turn back.

“As far as they know, except for the air turn-back, there is no new development,” Mr. Tengku Sariffuddin, adding that the reported remarks by the air force chief were “not true.”

Malaysia Airlines, meanwhile, offered a third, conflicting account. In a statement, the airline said authorities were “looking at a possibility” that the plane was headed to Subang, an airport outside Kuala Lumpur that handles mainly domestic flights.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/wo...ia-jet.html?hp

Note that there is only "confusion" if you believe the now-discredited Berita Hariman story.

The Prime Minister's office says that all they have been told is that radar detected a possible turnback attempt.

The General quoted in the Berita Hariman story flatly denied telling them any such nonsense about tracking across the Malay peninsula out into the straits of Malacca.

The same General also noted that they had some radar evidence of a possible turnback.

Malaysia airlines speculates (probably based on heading at the time of the turnback) that they may have been aiming for Subang.

All of these are very consistent.

Now, you can either believe that the above is the true extent of the knowledge of the Malaysian officials.

Or you can believe that they are lying and that a local gossip rag has an inside source that found explosive evidence of a solid radar track that the Malaysian officials are hiding from the world.

As an aside, shame on the NYTimes for running such a poorly sourced story. I would sadly expect this kind of yellow journalism from CNN, but not from the Times.
    Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
    Originally Posted by NandoDave
    They've made engine #1 bigger than #2... why?

In my opinion:
      I agree with you about the 'wing' but we seem to have the ship going in opposite directions. Oh well, maybe it's actually 3 ships having a get together?
      Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA,CO, AS
      Originally Posted by uszkanni
      Wasn't this image taken at something like 3:45 am and wouldn't the ocean look basically black at that time of day? These look like clouds to me.
      .... 0345 in which time zone ?
      Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by exilencfc
      I agree with you about the 'wing' but we seem to have the ship going in opposite directions. Oh well, maybe it's actually 3 ships having a get together?
      As I said when I posted it it looks like 2 ships to me, I guess if digitalgobe still have their satellite pointed that way it would be easy to take another pic. If nothing is now there then it confirms it was a ship or 2 or even 3.
      Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:13 pm

Smaller freighter-like ship with big bow wave. Trailing bow waves can be much longer than ship.

I'm really getting annoyed that this tragedy is being turned into the latest internet game and rumors are announced in breathless headlines as Breaking News so a network can grab market share, as they evidently only repeat internet gossip.
      Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:18 pm
      cnk

Originally Posted by exilencfc
      Has anybody been able to verify this directly? If so can we get the coordinates and time?

This could certainly be a ship, but is it possible that it's either a photoshopped hoax or an actual aircraft in flight (with darkness/clouds obscuring it partially)?
      Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:18 pm

Large banner over Beijing mall reminds everyone #MH370 still missing via @dhpierson
      Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
      Originally Posted by Milestone
      Smaller freighter-like ship with big bow wave. Trailing bow waves can be much longer than ship.

I'm really getting annoyed that this tragedy is being turned into the latest internet game and rumors are announced in breathless headlines as Breaking News so a network can grab market share, as they evidently only repeat internet gossip.
      Crowdsourcing current satellite imagery isn't a bad a idea. A number of false hits would be expected. The problem is folk who want to be known for finding the plane more than they want to find the plane. But, many hands make light work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.