Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by goliath
Look at http://de.flightaware.com/live/fligh.../ZBAA/tracklog for example to see the heading(s).
I'm not an expert so please excuse me if I'm talking rubbish but doesn't that show the aircraft having a fast rate of descent and being at only 2400 feet when it was lost from radar?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:56 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by wozup12
Which would be similar to the Helios 522 situation no?

In a scenario similar to that situation I would assume that if the plane was flying for that long without any contact, the military or some other body that deals with out of control airborne objects would have been notified sooner?
Very dissimilar actually. 522 was tracked and intercepted before it ran out of fuel and crashed.

This plane simply disappeared in an instant.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by economyman
I'm not an expert so please excuse me if I'm talking rubbish but doesn't that show the aircraft having a fast rate of descent and being at only 2400 feet when it was lost from radar?
The list goes the other way. The top entry is not the last known location.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by economyman
The first entry (on top) is right after departure at 12:43AM. The plane was at 2400 feet then, heading 333°, then it turned towards 24° (second entry, the same minute - 12:43AM) at 3100 feet and kept that course more or less until it disappeared.

The last entry (scroll down) at 01:02AM shows the plane heading 25° at 35000 feet.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:00 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by MANman
When the plane went out of contact it was on the handover border between 2 radar zones IIRC, so it wasn't being watched by either side.
Maybe radar just isn't watched that closely, not as closely as we imagine?
Actually, the fact that a handoff to the HCMC FIR was imminent should have had both radars looking for the aircraft. It has been established that the boundary waypoint was within ADS-B range of both ATC facilities.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by wozup12
So has anyone calculated the interval between when the plane lost contact with flight radar and when it was supposed to check in? Also. I would assume it could be seen by the radar if it was supposed to fly though the airspace, therefore debunking the continuation of the flight due to hypoxia theory?

Sorry if I'm being a massive noob
The transponder went offline at 1721 UTC. They were meant to contact Ho Chi Minh at 1820 UTC.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:06 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tranthutrang
News from Civil Aviation Administration (CAA) of Vietnam, Hong Kong CAA informed Vietnam that pilot on a Hong Kong's commercial flight reported about having seen many debris floating about 500km from the current SAR area.
Source: Tuoi Tre Daily (in Vietnamese)

Is it possible to be the wreckage?
The photos posted here look like they could have found something, I can't figure out where this is though (they have posted the coordinates 09043’N-107025’E )

EDIT: It seems to be here

Last edited by Ikaz; Mar 10, 2014 at 5:18 am
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by ksharpe
The list goes the other way. The top entry is not the last known location.
Thanks - I should have looked at the time stamps on the left
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:13 am

http://my.news.yahoo.com/mas-aircraf...023820132.html

Yahoo reporting oil slick not from plane.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Not sure if this has been already posted:
http://www.nst.com.my/latest/font-co...liner-1.505950

About the oil sample.

Last edited by Ozchinois; Mar 10, 2014 at 5:47 am
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Originally Posted by goliath
The first entry (on top) is right after departure at 12:43AM. The plane was at 2400 feet then, heading 333°, then it turned towards 24° (second entry, the same minute - 12:43AM) at 3100 feet and kept that course more or less until it disappeared.

The last entry (scroll down) at 01:02AM shows the plane heading 25° at 35000 feet.
It looks like he isn't the only one to interpret that incorrectly - From the Aviation Herald: "Aviation sources in China report that radar data suggest a steep and sudden descent of the aircraft, during which the track of the aircraft changed from 024 degrees to 333 degrees." - which is incorrect according to the flightaware data. Disappointing they don't check their sources.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: CX DM
Has anyone pointed out that this flight occured on a moonless night in open waters?

Spatial disorientation is at it's prime when this happens. Haven't seen any press about this.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by MyckoL
Has anyone pointed out that this flight occured on a moonless night in open waters?

Spatial disorientation is at it's prime when this happens. Haven't seen any press about this.
Presumably seen as very unlikely because the aircraft's sytems aren't easily fooled in this situation even if the pilots are. I suppose it would be possible as part of a total electronic failure but I can't imagine how that would happen.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:35 am

Are you sure about the moonless part? I thought it was just about a half-moon on the 8th.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: QFF

Like Flash 604?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.