Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:00 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Welcome to FlyerTalk ObscuredByClouds.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
This could indicate that (as some posters have mentioned) stolen European documents are regularly used for travel in Asia, or there is some corruption going on. If there is no corruption, then I wonder if Asian countries will begin stepping up checks for document discrepancies, etc.
This is SE Asia, there is corruption definitely going on. I am not saying that corruption is definitely involved here, just pointing out the fact that this is a part of the world where corruption is very common.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Reg
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
How is it baseless?
To be honest, at this point, everything is baseless, and therefore everything is equal. We have no evidence of hull damage or of mechanical failure or of terrorism or of a missile strike, etc-. The only evidence we have right now is a missing plane.

To wave a way a potential cause does not seem prudent, imo, despite whether people think it is outlandish or not. Everything is still on the table until we know more.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by ObscuredByClouds
First post here so be kind please. Let me also say that my heart truly goes out to all those affected by this tragedy

I am a pilot, flight instructor, and even worked for some time as an ASI (Air Safety Investigator) for the NTSB - only for light aircraft. So I am somewhat familiar with accident investigation also.

Normally the autopilot would be engaged before reaching cruising altitude (typically < 10,000 ft.) and set to maintain a specific airspeed and climb rate until cruise altitude when it would automatically level off and maintain another preset airspeed and altitude. This is not always the case but generally true.

So what you mention is unlikely. Even in the event the autopilot was incorrectly set, it would automatically disengage as the aircraft approached stall before the stick shaker and stick pusher activated to alert the crew keep the aircraft flying safely. I don't have a B777 type rating so I can't speak to the specific procedures for that aircraft but this is how a normal transport category plane operates.

If they had even ignored and overridden these two safety systems (which is contrary to any normal procedure or emergency situation I can imagine) , there would likely have been plenty of time to recover and should never had led to such a sudden catastrophic event as MH370 experienced.
Welcome to FT!

i think people all too often associate an aircraft stalling with 'we're doomed.' as you point out, recovery from a stall is i daresay easy with enough altitude buffer. stall tests are an integral part of aircraft certification, and the plane is designed so that absent pilot inputs, the plane should recover on its own.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Welcome to FlyerTalk ObscuredByClouds.
Indeed, welcome. Thanks for the informative post, and keep 'em coming ^

Originally Posted by sinanju
IBM has more than 400k employees with around half not working in a traditional office. It was, if it is not still, the largest purchaser of airline tickets in the world. Chances are probably not bad that any flight between two major cities has an IBMer on it.
Seems this one did.

Local news (DFW / DAL) has this as lead story on 6 o'clock news with passenger's mother giving a quick statement.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 8, 2014 at 5:30 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:12 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I am not sure why people are so averse to the possibility of the people using the stolen passports were a possible causes of this issue, but the BBC reported that China has stepped up their security at airports, so it appears they are at least considering it as well...
Given there a numerous posts in the thread discussing the stolen passports, it's clear they are not being dismissed. I think all of us are eager for more facts. Speculation only serves to fuel false conclusions that can be harmful to many in our community.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Top headlines in the media should be focusing on the whereabouts of the plane, any possible survivors, etc.

Then worry about what went wrong, who did what, etc.

This is an IBB, we're just having a conversation, we're not reporters or investigators.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 8, 2014 at 5:21 pm Reason: Removed deleted quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by sinanju
IBM has more than 400k employees with around half not working in a traditional office. It was, if it is not still, the largest purchaser of airline tickets in the world. Chances are probably not bad that any flight between two major cities has an IBMer on it.
Indeed. The Telegraph article also notes that Freescale Semiconductor (spun out of Motorola a decade ago) had twenty employees (of 23,000 worldwide) on the flight. Wikipedia's article on Freescale already reflects this.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
New Straits Times has an article about the SAR efforts underway.

http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general...r-way-1.503442

It's interesting (though not surprising) that US Pacific Command is involved, although I hope the paper misspoke when it said that "...United States Pacific Command has a flotilla of warships and aircraft carriers scouring the Pacific Ocean in search of the Boeing 777-200ERs." It'd have to be really off course to wind up in the Pacific.

Last edited by DanTravels; Mar 8, 2014 at 6:04 pm Reason: Corrected name of paper - thanks yosithezet!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:33 pm

Pilot: I established contact with plane

A BOEING 777 pilot, who was flying 30 minutes ahead of the missing Malaysia Airlines aircraft, said he established contact with MH370 minutes after he was asked to do so by Vietnamese air traffic control.

The captain, who asked to not be named, said his plane, which was bound for Narita, Japan, was far into Vietnamese airspace when he was asked to relay, using his plane's emergency frequency, to MH370 for the latter to establish its position, as the authorities could not contact the aircraft.

"We managed to establish contact with MH370 just after 1.30am and asked them if they have transferred into Vietnamese airspace. The voice on the other side could have been either Captain Zaharie (Ahmad Shah, 53,) or Fariq (Abdul Hamid, 27), but I was sure it was the co-pilot. There were a lot of interference... static... but I heard mumbling from the other end."

More
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive
AUSTIN, Texas, Mar 08, 2014 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Freescale Semiconductor FSL -0.09% has confirmed that 20 of its employees were confirmed passengers on Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fre...k=MW_news_stmp
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Reg
Originally Posted by hallenCH
A BOEING 777 pilot, who was flying 30 minutes ahead of the missing Malaysia Airlines aircraft, said he established contact with MH370 minutes after he was asked to do so by Vietnamese air traffic control.

The captain, who asked to not be named, said his plane, which was bound for Narita, Japan, was far into Vietnamese airspace when he was asked to relay, using his plane's emergency frequency, to MH370 for the latter to establish its position, as the authorities could not contact the aircraft.

"We managed to establish contact with MH370 just after 1.30am and asked them if they have transferred into Vietnamese airspace. The voice on the other side could have been either Captain Zaharie (Ahmad Shah, 53,) or Fariq (Abdul Hamid, 27), but I was sure it was the co-pilot. There were a lot of interference... static... but I heard mumbling from the other end."

More
Is the NST a reliable source (pardon me for my ignorance!)? If so, that's very, very odd to hear. It's also strange that that wasn't relayed back to Vietnamese ATC after the fact (or at least, they haven't said so)

Last edited by SmokeyTheBear; Mar 8, 2014 at 5:38 pm Reason: disclaimer for my ignorance
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:36 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ObscuredByClouds
First post here so be kind please. Let me also say that my heart truly goes out to all those affected by this tragedy

I am a pilot, flight instructor, and even worked for some time as an ASI (Air Safety Investigator) for the NTSB - only for light aircraft. So I am somewhat familiar with accident investigation also.

Normally the autopilot would be engaged before reaching cruising altitude (typically < 10,000 ft.) and set to maintain a specific airspeed and climb rate until cruise altitude when it would automatically level off and maintain another preset airspeed and altitude. This is not always the case but generally true.

So what you mention is unlikely. Even in the event the autopilot was incorrectly set, it would automatically disengage as the aircraft approached stall before the stick shaker and stick pusher activated to alert the crew keep the aircraft flying safely. I don't have a B777 type rating so I can't speak to the specific procedures for that aircraft but this is how a normal transport category plane operates.

If they had even ignored and overridden these two safety systems (which is contrary to any normal procedure or emergency situation I can imagine) , there would likely have been plenty of time to recover and should never had led to such a sudden catastrophic event as MH370 experienced.
Thanks for a great post and welcome to FT. Appreciate having the perspective of a professional here.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: QFF
FIRs in the area

They could easily have been in SIN controlled airspace for part of the flight. It disappeared somewhere near the handover between Thai, Malaysian, Singapore and Vietnam airspace
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:43 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Himeno
FIRs in the area

They could easily have been in SIN controlled airspace for part of the flight. It disappeared somewhere near the handover between Thai, Malaysian, Singapore and Vietnam airspace
SIN or Indonesian?

Originally Posted by DanTravels
Straits Times has an article about the SAR efforts underway.

http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general...r-way-1.503442
Your link is to New Straits Times, Malaysian, rather than Straits Times, which is Singaporean.

Last edited by yosithezet; Mar 8, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.